Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sluts & Studs.

• 07-04-2012 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20 jenndudess79

Why is it that when a bloke sleeps with thousands of girls he is called a stud.
    He may even be applauded for his conquests.

But when a girl sleeps with a handfull of blokes she is branded a "slut"

In my opinion... I just think its a dint in the male pride area:p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

Lol , what an original thread !!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Chemistry Ftw

It's harder for a guy to pick up a girl than it is for a girl to pick up a guy :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

It's because there hasn't been enough threads about the issue to highlight it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Coming up next, breaking news as man finally lands on the moon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

Allow me to use an analogy.

A key that can open many locks is a master key. However a lock that can be easily opened by any key is a pretty shitty lock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

something clever about keys and locks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Oh Jesus. I'm not affiliated in any shape or form with the OP...

Oh and some really unoriginal, dumb thing about keys and locks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

men are meant to spread their seed. women are meant to make sandwiches for the kiddies

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Bring in the pandas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

men are meant to spread their seed. women are meant to make sandwiches for the kiddies

not just the kiddies, Im starvin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

In before the precocious 13 year old.

A guy who sleeps with thousands of women is a ****ing skank btw OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Dimithy

But when a girl sleeps with a handfull of blokes she is branded a "slut"

Like Lego men?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Boo! Not this again. I can never escape from it..

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Mammanabammana

Is this not a discussion that's limited to people up to about the age of 16 or thereabouts? I was under the impression (although it's some years since my age has been in the 20s) that once you got to late teens/early 20s that this whole conversation became redundant and people were basically free to do what they want and be who they wish sexually without labels like this being put on them. Surely we're not still stuck in some sexual dark ages where people judge others based on the number of partners or types of private practices they have, which, as grown adults, they're perfectly entitled to.

Or am I just really really REALLY naive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

In the same way if a bloke hits a girl, everyone will think he's a pussy-ass women beater. Its just the way it is.

That key/lock thing again as if it's clever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'm a sad bastard with no sex life but I have a decent key lock metaphor if anybody wants it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

stovelid wrote: »
    I'm a sad bastard with no sex life but I have a decent key lock metaphor if anybody wants it?
    This I gotta hear.

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote: »

sure, could always do with hearing something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

The guys who obsess about picking up women on a night out are embarrassing to be around and kind of pathetic. I don't know anyone who does this "go on yah stud yah" high fives with the lads thing; maybe when we were 15 but that's about it.

"And you need a licence for a dog/TV but anyone can have a kid!"
    Another "original" nugget...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Dudess wrote: »
    And you need a licence for a dog/TV but anyone can have a kid!
    yes but a dog or tv are useful

hmmm, posting to see my newly included avatar, but its not there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Domo230 wrote: »
    "A key that opens many doors is a master key but a lock that is opened by many keys is a **** key."

Because women have a higher resource cost when it comes to raising kids (all a man has to do is shoot his sperm) they have to be pickier. A man who sleeps with loads of women is in evolutionary terms a success because he will probably have lots of kids. Men like him because he has acess to women (and men getting sex is a lot harder than women getting sex) and can show them how to be a stud and women like him because he is obviously a good choice for a mate.

A woman who sleeps with lots of men will not increase the number of kids she will have but will be regarded as being easy and probably less likely to be faithful and so the men will not think of her highly. Also the women will instinctively dislike that this woman is giving away sex for free and so the men will not be interested in trading their resources for sex with them when instead they could just pay the town bike a visit.

Hence why women who sleep with a lot of men are regarded as sluts and men who sleep with a lot of women are thought of as heroes.

Society has changed massively in the last 50 years or so, some attitudes are still stuck there.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

yeah, chose an avatar, hit save changes and ....nothing.

i'd like my money back please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭policarp

A guy who sleeps with thousands of women is a ****ing skank btw OP.

That guy could never be awake. . .

it's a conundrum alright.

i mean men don't find virgins attractive. (unless they're, well, boys)

so, a sexy woman is one who has had sex, right?

so....

yawn. i'm already bored with this.

K-9 wrote: »
    Society has changed massively in the last 50 years or so, some attitudes are still stuck there.

Those attitudes were genetically programmed into us thousands of years ago.
    50 years ago is nothing in terms of evolutionary psychology.
    Evolutionary arguments aren't convincing - you could say men should beat the sh1t out of each other for a woman because cavemen did it, but obviously that's unacceptable in society today.

• Advertisement

Evolutionary arguments aren't convincing - you could say men should beat the sh1t out of each other for a woman because cavemen did it, but obviously that's unacceptable in society today.
    hmmmm.

you don't hang out outside the local chipper late at night i take it?

:D

where's my AVATAR????

ArtSmart wrote: »
    hmmmm.

:pac:

Still not considered acceptable though.

I can see your avatar. Pink panther?

YES, THAT'S STRANGE, I CANT SEE IT.

oops cap lock. and i dont have add block on

you most likely have avatars set to hidden in your user settings.

you most likely have avatars set to hidden in your user settings.
    ah. nice one. will check that out. thanks em, er..., stupidusername. cough. lol.

YES!!! GOT IT. THANKS AGAIN S.U.N

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

That key/lock thing again as if it's clever.

I don't understand, please explain.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

"And you need a licence for a dog/TV but anyone can have a kid!"
    Another "original" nugget...

"Sterilise the proletariat!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Something about key cutting and combination locks. Never give away the combination or something...

I don't know where the perception that "slut" is an insult, there are many DVDs whose title is extremely complimentary towards sluts.

I CAN SEE OTHER PEOPLE'S AVATARS!

SO, HOW YOU DOING?

LOL. KIDDIN. (EM, THAT'S NOT REALLY U, IS IT?)

• Advertisement

It's unacceptable in western society today but there are many parts of the world where society has broken down and people have reverted back to their instinct. Just look at the western world a few decades ago during ww2.

We can fight our instinct and maybe hold it back but IMO people can never banish it fully and it still survives. Male and females were virtually segregated for much of history as a way of trying to suppress our instincts and that didnt even manage to work.

The whole thing of double standards for the sexes exists because how we conceive and raise children is one of the biggest differences between the genders, so what is advantageous has evolved differently between the two. And it still remains advantageous to this day so the behaviour is likely to stay.
    O
    r has marrying a promiscuous woman suddenly become a good idea for a man in the 21st century?
    If they like each other what's the problem? There's more to her than her promiscuity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

It's harder for a guy to pick up a girl than it is for a girl to pick up a guy :p

Very very true. Any statistics to back this up? (i'd say its something like 3500 times easier, give or take

Or has marrying a promiscuous woman suddenly become a good idea for a man in the 21st century?
    pssssssssssss

and there goes the fun balloon....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

hmmmm.

Many end up in court or prison because what they do isn't socially acceptable, they still do it.

That phrase is dumb for many reasons, many still use it though.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

It's unacceptable in western society today but there are many parts of the world where society has broken down and people have reverted back to their instinct. Just look at the western world a few decades ago during ww2.

We can fight our instinct and maybe hold it back but IMO people can never banish it fully and it still survives. Male and females were virtually segregated for much of history as a way of trying to suppress our instincts and that didnt even manage to work.

The whole thing of double standards for the sexes exists because how we conceive and raise children is one of the biggest differences between the genders, so what is advantageous has evolved differently between the two. And it still remains advantageous to this day so the behaviour is likely to stay.

Or has marrying a promiscuous woman suddenly become a good idea for a man in the 21st century?

I don't buy this argument because we aren't cavemen anymore. Our culture and technology has advanced far more rapidly than evolution can keep up with or intended and this has caused all the problems we currently see. There's nothing natural about contraception for example but we still use it.

We aren't primates anymore and keeping animal instincts in check is relatively simple.

Just as an aside on violence, lions don't line up other lions and kill them because they look different, humans have advanced far beyong evolution intended, we're above animals for all intents and purposes and arguing that we're still guided by base instincts is absurd.

Wibbs can probably discuss this far better than I can to be honest.

I CAN SEE OTHER PEOPLE'S AVATARS!

SO, HOW YOU DOING?

LOL. KIDDIN. (EM, THAT'S NOT REALLY U, IS IT?)
    No, some chick from Batman. I've her hair though.

K-9 wrote: »

Many end up in court or prison because what they do isn't socially acceptable, they still do it.

That phrase is dumb for many reasons, many still use it though.
    what phrase? :confused:

and I've the pink panther's skin tone.

together we'd could be

My Little Pink Pony....

I was wondering who beat me on that eBay auction.

Promiscuous doesn't necessarily mean unfaithful. Best to consider the individual IMO.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement