Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a budget media client

Options
  • 07-04-2012 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭

I am after over spending on building a home server and I have very little left for my media client. So now I need to build one on a really tight budget.

My plan is to run XBMCbuntu/Openelec on my client only. I want the client to output 1080p. I'd also like it to have a small SDD (32GB?) rather than a large HDD as all my media is stored on my server which will connect via ethernet to my client. Speed, a small form factor, low power consumption and quietness are the priorities. I'd also like the client to be capable of bitstreaming HD audio and support CEC, but these aren't deal breakers. I don't need wi-fi, bluetooth or an optical drive.

Is it possible to achieve this for under EUR200? I am happy to buy from any online retailer.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

at under €200 you might be better off considering a media player like a western digital live

komplett.ie/Komplett/product/media_players/20097189/wd_tv_live/details.aspx

This or similar will be able to play files off a network share.

I ended up using a playstation 3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

uberpixie wrote: »
    at under €200 you might be better off considering a media player like a western digital live

komplett.ie/Komplett/product/media_players/20097189/wd_tv_live/details.aspx

This or similar will be able to play files off a network share.

I ended up using a playstation 3
    I had one of those before and I ended up sending it back. How much will I have to spend to get what I'm looking
    For? I can use my Xbox as a stop gap until funds allow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Maybe a Raspberry Pi instead?

I don't think you'll do it for €200 to be honest. I've a home server build in mind, and even with cheap-as-possible-but-not-horrible-quality components, I'm coming out at about €180, and that's without a hard drive.

I'd say a media player is your best bet. Zotac does a couple of great little Android-powered ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭armitage_skanks

I got a passive itx Zotac Atom/Ion mobo im not using any more if you're interested. Only N230 (single-core) but the video decoding is done on GPU anyway so you don't notice.

Had OpenElec running on it from a USB thumbstick, boots in a few seconds, menus are super fast and it plays 1080p H264.

All you'd need is an ITX case with PSU and a remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/media_players/20068928/the_boxee_box_by_d_link_digital_multimedia/details.aspx

also worth considering is a boxee box. This was based of xbmc software.

You can pick up media players from €100-200

• Advertisement
Advertisement