Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are UPC slow to roll out CATV to Dooradoyle

• 07-04-2012 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Any one know why UPC are slow to roll out their cable service to estates in Dooradoyle please?

I have tried to get answers from UPC but no one can give a proper answer. The estate is about 6 years old now and has been fitted with piping and throughout the estate there are CATV points in the pavements too.

Is there a roolout plan to cover these estates?

Regards
    Liam

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If the estate is 6 years old and if a management company is in place then the management company should formally approach UPC to give UPC the wayleaves they require on common lands. Open a few hatches and check for clear ducts or strings in ducts with which to pull in cable and fibre.

If there is no management company the estate will be taken in charge at some future stage by the Council but is currently in a slight legal limbo so there is nobody for UPC to formally talk to.

As well as that a few of you should go door to door and check the demand before you approach them.

UPC will have an engineer in Limerick in charge of things, set up a meet with them when you sort all of that. UPC now tend to put Fibre ONLY into greenfield sites so you will all either get fibre to the home...or nothing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 liamg67

Thanks - not sure who owns the estate now - think the developer has gone bust - though he has reluctantly agreed to cut the green areas around the estate. I see many CATV covers around the estate and even recall there being a coax from the phone cabinet outside to a point in the attic - and in the cabinet there is a rope too.

I will ask the residents association to see if this is somehting we can push for.

Cheers
    Liam

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

liamg67 wrote: »
    Thanks - not sure who owns the estate now - think the developer has gone bust - though he has reluctantly agreed to cut the green areas around the estate.

Make sure the management company is not struck off ( not the developer but the company that owns the common areas) or none of ye will be able to sell a house on that estate. The common areas and ducts are owned by this management company ....if it exists.

I bet a receiver now owns the common parts of estate and gets the developer to cut the grass on occasion....for a quiet life. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Cork Wifi

while there may be CATV3 chambers in the street the coax was probably run through the the Eircom duct to the attic. Currently Eircom are not allowing UPC access to their ducts unless they pay. Even though UPC advertises Fibre powered Broadband it simply means that the fibre is to the street or area Node and coax cable from there. FTTH fibre to the home is only available in test markets in Wexford and Dublin and is a very long time away for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 liamg67

Thanks for the reples - do Eircom own the CATV chambers?
    It sems strange in this country that there is a reluctance to progress with technology - when I lived in the UK I had cable broadband about 18 years ago and was rolled out farily quickly.

In a new estate you would think that everything was setup at the start - and ready to go! all the ducting and chambers are in place - just dont understand why it should be a problem running cables or fibres through them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

liamg67 wrote: »
    In a new estate you would think that everything was setup at the start - and ready to go! all the ducting and chambers are in place - just dont understand why it should be a problem running cables or fibres through them.

red-tape.jpg
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Cork Wifi

upc owns the chambers in the street. There is a possibility and unfortunately a probability that there is only one duct going to your house from the street and its eircoms. if theres 2 then theres no reason upc cant hook you up unless there is no connection at the entrance to your development to the main catv feed. red tape indeed but usually in Cork were I am UPC and its predecessors never spent the money to hook up new developments which now is coming back to bite them with loss of potential revenue in the millions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I can't imagine that UPC/Chorus/Irish Multichannel would ever share ducts with eircom... Certainly not for accessing individual premises! And depending on the estate, the cables for it would be overhead from house to house and the estate would be served by one duct carrying the trunk cables.

The big issue is estates having no UPC duct next or near them and UPC basically not bothering to connect them to the network. They are doing this in different locations around the country (like in Ashbourne, Co. Meath or Bray, Co. Wicklow) but it's a very piecemeal and slow process. At the time it was easier to supply those new estates with digital TV from an aerial (called MMDS).

Advertisement