Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange wounds on 2 Pike

Options
  • 07-04-2012 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

These two different Pike were caught in the last few weeks in Lough Derg in Portumna. We are wondering what these wounds are caused by.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭portumnadaz

another pic

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

Search google for Fish with Esocid Lymphosarcomand look at more images. Looks like that likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭portumnadaz

Thanks that looks like the cause of it. Would the Lamprey be responsible because pike caught in the same area have have Lamprey attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

I'm not sure, I don't know much about it. Just a friend mentioned seeing what sounded like a similarly affected fish up north a while ago and was told that was what was up.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

Around 20 years ago a lot of pike with "ulsers" were being caught all over the place. Since then only the odd case has been reported. It is a concern that 2 were caught so quickly.
    Prof Maire Mulcahy of UCC did a study on this in the late 80` and early 90`. At the time she attended an AGM of the Irish Federation of Pike Angling Clubs and spoke on the issue. At the time she urgently needed live pike with the disease.
    http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/20494865?uid=3738232&uid=2129&uid=2&uid=70&uid=4&sid=56007279483
    http://www.pacgb.co.uk/articles/redsore.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭goss101

We had this on lough Ree in the early 90's, lots and lots of pike had them on them and as said above people from UCC came every sunday to the weigh in's of the competitions to take both live and dead fish for study, i can't really remeber what came of it in the end as i was only a gossan but it disappeared after a while and i know it happened naturally as there was no treatment to the fish or the lake.

Advertisement