Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

worst forum to moderate

• 07-04-2012 10:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

I dunno if asked before but curious as to what the hardest or most difficult forms are to moderate. Would love mod input too. I was think AH as busiest and AH type answers but trolls in very reserved forums must be as bad.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,037 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I'd say Politics.. plenty of pigheaded people with strong views, or strong people with pigheaded views, in there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Basq wrote: »
    I'd say Politics.. plenty of pigheaded people with strong views, or strong people with pigheaded views, in there!

Plus, you would have to know whats going on and read all the conversations!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Chips Ahoy

id say Bargain Alerts, Stuttering & Stammering & Speech Disorder, Television

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

I would say AH is one of the easier, even with the traffic. There are other forums that will have problems with sales reps trying to advertise and the religion and politics related forums will attract a lot of arguments.

The soccer forum also contains a large amount of Liverpool fans who need to be repeatedly told to 'calm down calm down'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Chips Ahoy wrote: »
    id say Bargain Alerts, Stuttering & Stammering & Speech Disorder, Television

Ha!

• Advertisement

I would reckon Personal Issues would be one of the hardest to moderate, for the topics you could potentially deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Animal And Pets has a bad Rep!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭happyman81

Conspiracy Theories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Rugby- does be a train wreck in there by times. Soccer too. Thankless jobs.

Some forums really have a 'groupthink' mentality about them and any deviation from that will be swiftly dealt with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

The one with all the womenz. This one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭ZzubZzub

The Mustard Forum... Things get totally outta control in there. You get some tools who are all "Dijon Mustard is by far the king of mustards."

Yeah, whatever dude. Such trolls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,037 ✭✭✭✭Basq

KeithM89 wrote: »
    The one with all the womenz. This one.
    They have computers in kitchens now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Conspiracy Theories has to be up there.. those guys get an unrelentlessly rough time of it from pretty much everyone who posts there regularly, whichever side of the divide they're on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Help Desk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Soccer, I would say. Celtic vs Ran****, ManUtd vs Liverpool, Bohs vs Rovers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Soccer, PI and probably Television(as you might get spoilered in your favourite shows)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 232 ✭✭LilyCricket

Personal Issues

I went lol in there once and was banned, seriously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I would say it is obviously after hours since it's the busiest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

tvercetti wrote: »
    Animal And Pets has a bad Rep!!

Totally unjustified. Us animal lovers don't cause grief especially as we have to abide by so many inexplicable rules :p
    Larianne wrote: »
    Help Desk.

Surely that's the easiest. "I am a CMod & you are wrong. Now feck off" :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

soccer without a shadow of a doubt, the amount of bannings, infractions etc on there probably equals every other forum combined

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

This can be answered by where are the most bans

I saw a league of bastards here once but I'm not sure how to find it again

TV and reality TV can be nightmares when there is hype over a show and some tool wanders in with a spoiler
    So we have multiple threads on the same shows often

Discodog wrote: »
    Surely that's the easiest. "I am a CMod & you are wrong. Now feck off" :pac:

I was thinking more along the lines that its annoying to mod as you get newbs posting threads looking for 'Help' on a range of things. Nothing at all to do with the forum's purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Prison must be the worst. Reading all those what did I do wrong stuff and give me another chance I won't do it again sh1t.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    soccer without a shadow of a doubt, the amount of bannings, infractions etc on there probably equals every other forum combined

Especially bearing in mind that you have to be pre approved before you can post. Having said that the Man Utd forum is pretty civilised - must be a better class of supporter :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Too busy eating their prawn sandwiches instead of debating on boards ;)

I was thinking more along the lines that its annoying to mod as you get newbs posting threads looking for 'Help' on a range of things. Nothing at all to do with the forum's purpose.

True but at least it gives the Admins something to do :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Help Desk.

Approve the odd post, change a thread tag, not that difficult really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

1 small kitchen. 3 small kids. One small tub of ice cream. Difficult... Mods... Oxmorovener

Spear wrote: »
    Approve the odd post, change a thread tag, not that difficult really.

Okay fine! :cool:

Politics or a religion forum.

:pac:

• Advertisement

Sometimes it can be the unexpected forums. The Weather forum went through a pile of grief that ended up with one Mod leaving. Most of the arguments were caused by discussing Snow - I kid you not :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Basq wrote: »

Actually it is nowhere near as bad as I thought, only there a few months though and no real major event.

AH and Soccer I would have thought.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Christianity and A&A must be terrible, ISAW and myself disagree so much :) Sorry Mods. :p

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,337 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

KKkitty wrote: »
    Prison must be the worst. Reading all those what did I do wrong stuff and give me another chance I won't do it again sh1t.

Actually it's not hard to mod at all. Generally you know what the person has done to end up there, so after that it's just a question of whether you'll let them out again or not. However the whiff of bullsh*t from some of the excuses uses can be a bit overpowering sometimes.

Of forums I've modded, while PI was tough the rules are very black and white there so it's not as bad as some might think. That said, the mods there are generally some of the best on boards (and before anyone asks, no, I don't know how I ended up there either :P). For me tLL was the hardest to mod. The level of muppetry that had to be endured was phenomenal and my ban count shot up in the relatively short period I modded the forum. Don't think I ever actually banned a woman from there either, it was always blokes acting the gobsh*te.

You couldn't pay me to mod Politics or Conspiracy Theories. The former is seriously hard word and the guys there deserve a medal. The latter is inhabited by some serious nutters and I just wouldn't have the patience to be dealing with them. There'd be another major spike in my ban count.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Thanks Zaph. Honestly thought Prison was bad but you're right about the other two forums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Apologies for going off topic but how do you become a mod? Are boardsies asked if they'd be interested and if so, based on what?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Old Tom

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Would love mod input too.
    "Too"??? I would imagine mods are the only ones who know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

Atheism, cycling and animal and pet issues. All seem equally insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Its gotta be Newbies and FAQ. Have you ever been in that forum?? It is painful to read!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I'd say soccer, ah or politics. Music/films could get very heated at times as well, I'd guess.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Apologies for going off topic but how do you become a mod? Are boardsies asked if they'd be interested and if so, based on what?

You have to ask, of course

:pac:

• Advertisement

Yeah, that's basically it all right. You're invited to become a mod, and generally asking to be one will disqualify you. There's no set criteria for offering someone a modship, a lot depends on the forum in question and the person. However some of the things that are considered are:
    • How regular a poster that person is in the forum and whether or not they have a genuine interest in the subject
    • The quality of their posts there. Someone with 500 posts in a forum all saying lol isn't going to be considered.
    • Their overall record on boards (warnings/infractions/bans)
    • How long they've been a member of Boards. While not unheard of, generally a poster would have to build up a bit of history and would not have just a couple of hundred posts before they'd be considered for a modship.
    • Recommendations from existing mods of that forum and/or CMods
    • How many forums they currently mod. We try not to overload people with too many forums as we are always mindful of the fact that mods are volunteers and have lives outside of Boards.

Zaph wrote: »
    Of forums I've modded, while PI was tough the rules are very black and white there so it's not as bad as some might think. That said, the mods there are generally some of the best on boards (and before anyone asks, no, I don't know how I ended up there either :P). For me tLL was the hardest to mod. The level of muppetry that had to be endured was phenomenal and my ban count shot up in the relatively short period I modded the forum. Don't think I ever actually banned a woman from there either, it was always blokes acting the gobsh*te.

The problem with tLL was a certain few opposed its very existence, can't think of any forum that had that problem, maybe Beer, Guts and Receding hairlines back in the day.
    You couldn't pay me to mod Politics or Conspiracy Theories. The former is seriously hard word and the guys there deserve a medal. The latter is inhabited by some serious nutters and I just wouldn't have the patience to be dealing with them. There'd be another major spike in my ban count.

Politics is fine because it's usually extreme opinions that cause bother or abuse and vitriol. Debate rationally and civilly, and you can keep banging your head against the wall to your hearts content.
    Kurz wrote: »
    Atheism, cycling and animal and pet issues. All seem equally insane.

True, tend to be emotional, die hard subjects. I'd say anything that emotion is so often involved is a nightmare. Even weather!

Then you have the Conspiracy Theory forum..................

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    The problem with tLL was a certain few opposed its very existence, can't think of any forum that had that problem, maybe Beer, Guts and Receding hairlines back in the day.

Yeah, that's true, and as a result tLL became a magnet for trolls and other idiots intent on causing trouble. Apart from one incident that got blown out of proportion, BGRH never really had that problem because we didn't take ourselves seriously at all. It's a different kind of forum to tLL in that serious subjects are explicitly banned in the charter, so we'd generally just spend our time taking the p*ss out of ourselves and each other. Those were the days... :D

Domo230 wrote: »
    Never thought people would get so heated over snow

People can get very bitter over snow!

I'd say others would be very cold about a really hot Summer, but the forum has never had the chance to see it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I was banned from the Weather forum once for posting an inaccurate weather forecast :(

Cuireadh cosc orm ón bhfóram Aimsire uair amháin asacht réamhaisnéis míchruinn a thabhairt :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Domo230 wrote: »
    Discodog wrote: »
    Sometimes it can be the unexpected forums. The Weather forum went through a pile of grief that ended up with one Mod leaving. Most of the arguments were caused by discussing Snow - I kid you not :rolleyes:

Never thought people would get so heated over snow
    Get your coat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Actually it's not hard to mod at all. Generally you know what the person has done to end up there, so after that it's just a question of whether you'll let them out again or not. However the whiff of bullsh*t from some of the excuses uses can be a bit overpowering sometimes.

What's tLL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

What's tLL?
    Vagina forum.

I'd say Politics is a nightmare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

What's tLL?

The Ladies' Lounge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Definitely the Soccer forum. I'd say for Liverpool and United games the bans and infractions are through the roof.

• Advertisement
Advertisement