Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

worst forum to moderate

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

I would have thought it would be rock/metal forum, Mods n Rockers just dont get on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'd imagine soccer is difficult at times, pro wrestling would seem to be an easier one in my eyes, regular posters tend to be quite cordial.

i wouldnt want to mod ah or soccer

politics and pi are fine

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Its gotta be Newbies and FAQ. Have you ever been in that forum?? It is painful to read!

That's not difficult either in moderator terms, just endlessly repetitive. I suspect social media is to blame for some of it: a large number of the wayward posters can't understand that the site has structure or take note of the large amount of warning signs that they're in the wrong place, yet they still manage to fill in the fields for more abstract concepts like tags.

Spear wrote: »
    That's not difficult either in moderator terms, just endlessly repetitive. I suspect social media is to blame for some of it: a large number of the wayward posters can't understand that the site has structure or take note of the large amount of warning signs that they're in the wrong place, yet they still manage to fill in the fields for more abstract concepts like tags.

i get a giggle out of it sometimes
    or a facepalm
    how can they possibly not notice all the signs, all the locked threads, and just dump everything in there :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

the hardest Moderators on Boards are in the Rail and Train Systems forum.

Mention Locosexuals or Chicken Sandwichs or call ANYONE Fossils or Tarquin and you'd get an instant ban.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Soccer probably. I got banned for calling one of my own players a prick.

Mods and rules in there are really stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Soccer, I would say. Celtic vs Ran****, ManUtd vs Liverpool, Bohs vs Rovers...

Soccer forum is only hard to mod because a number of the mods there try to be best buddies with everyone, and as such avoid clamping down on things, coupled with the fact that most of the hassle in that forum starts in match threads and mods often vanish during match threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Zaph wrote: »
    Yeah, that's basically it all right. You're invited to become a mod, and generally asking to be one will disqualify you. There's no set criteria for offering someone a modship, a lot depends on the forum in question and the person. However some of the things that are considered are:
    • How regular a poster that person is in the forum and whether or not they have a genuine interest in the subject
    • The quality of their posts there. Someone with 500 posts in a forum all saying lol isn't going to be considered.
    • Their overall record on boards (warnings/infractions/bans)
    • How long they've been a member of Boards. While not unheard of, generally a poster would have to build up a bit of history and would not have just a couple of hundred posts before they'd be considered for a modship.
    • Recommendations from existing mods of that forum and/or CMods
    • How many forums they currently mod. We try not to overload people with too many forums as we are always mindful of the fact that mods are volunteers and have lives outside of Boards.

Surely a key consideration is the ability to be totally impartial or at least being seen to be. Also they have to want to Mod for the good of the forum & not to serve any personal agenda. I did read somewhere that Boards were considering tightening the guidelines & not appointing any Mod that had infractions/bans.

I would suspect that the opinion of the existing Mods is key. You couldn't appoint a new Mod who disagreed with the way that the forum had been moderated in the past. Inconsistent modding can cause a lot of grief.

A good Mod can make modding a difficult forum look easy & the reverse is also true. The way the a Mod chooses to moderate sets the tone for the forum. This applies to all enforcers whether it is your boss or the Police.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Spear wrote: »

You have more patience than I! It hurts my face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mods and rules in there are really stupid.

Unfortunately mods have to strictly consistent on soccer because of its tribalist nature, the amount of rule lawyering, and picking through opposition fans posts to make a point causes that.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Discodog wrote: »
    I did read somewhere that Boards were considering tightening the guidelines & not appointing any Mod that had infractions/bans.
    I'm surprised that wasn't as.default.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Nevore wrote: »
    I'm surprised that wasn't as.default.

It's pretty difficult not to have an infraction lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

AH is probably the busiest forum and will always need constant moderation.

As others have mentioned , Animal and Pet Issues can be a surprisingly tough place at times . Easy to think it's all people chatting amiably about cute puppies and fluffy kittens ... bollox ! It can actually be a prickly and ill-tempered forum. Mods there deserve much respect.

Rugby is another tricky place , generally good but Jayz' when it kicks off in there it does it big time.... explosive tempers :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

The Paedophilia Forum. In fact, they have no mods currently. It seems that every time they made someone a mod, that mod just deleted all posts in the forum and perma-banned all the users that posted.

• Advertisement

The Paedophilia Forum. In fact, they have no mods currently. It seems that every time they made someone a mod, that mod just deleted all posts in the forum and perma-banned all the users that posted.

:D

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,337 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Only one? Must have been last season, we have a huge choice to hurl abuse at this season.
    Surely a key consideration is the ability to be totally impartial or at least being seen to be. Also they have to want to Mod for the good of the forum & not to serve any personal agenda.

In most cases they're not things that can be easily seen before someone is made a mod tbh. The quality of a candidates posts in the forum are the closest we have to a measure for those qualities.
    I did read somewhere that Boards were considering tightening the guidelines & not appointing any Mod that had infractions/bans.

Not sure where you read that as it's not something I've been made aware of. Past infractions/bans are just one factor when assessing candidates. A ban from several years ago with no more since isn't going to harm someone's chances unless it was for something very serious. However we will reject candidates out of hand without even putting their names forward in the admin forum if their record is poor.
    I would suspect that the opinion of the existing Mods is key. You couldn't appoint a new Mod who disagreed with the way that the forum had been moderated in the past. Inconsistent modding can cause a lot of grief.

It's a factor, but not always the one carrying most weight. It all depends on the circumstances really, although we generally wouldn't have names submitted to us that the existing mods would have serious issues with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Sunshine, lollipops & rainbows.

Happy bastards.

Zaph wrote: »
    Only one? Must have been last season, we have a huge choice to hurl abuse at this season.

Imagine being a Liverpool supporter for the last couple of seasons.

In most cases they're not things that can be easily seen before someone is made a mod tbh. The quality of a candidates posts in the forum are the closest we have to a measure for those qualities.

I've had a couple of raps on the knuckles, nothing too serious.
    Not sure where you read that as it's not something I've been made aware of. Past infractions/bans are just one factor when assessing candidates. A ban from several years ago with no more since isn't going to harm someone's chances unless it was for something very serious. However we will reject candidates out of hand without even putting their names forward in the admin forum if their record is poor.

Been a critic of politics moderation at times and some of it was taken on board to some extent.

As for the consistency point, often what seems inconsistent isn't. A mod takes a posters history into account,so something sanctioned on for one and not another poster maybe because of previous pm's or yellows issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Basq wrote: »
    They have computers in kitchens now?

Basq: 2004 - 2012 May he rest is peace

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I read the thread title as ' forum which provides the greatest opportunity for giving small people some power in their insignificant lives'.

Anyway, I don't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

The radio forum with the live line thread, a complete disgrace what those poor moderators have to put up with Joe, it terrible Joe, just terrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Pain in the hoop modding tLL, especially trying to get it established in its early days. So many people had problems with its existance. Including other mods. Some still do, I guess but not to the same degree, by jaysus.
    I'd say Animals and Pets is one of the harder ones. Loads of nut jobs in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I read the thread title as ' forum which provides the greatest opportunity for giving small people some power in their insignificant lives'.

Anyway, I don't care.

Hey dude, I need a co mod in Retro. Would you love it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Domo230 wrote: »
    Never thought people would get so heated over snow

Chilling stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

WindSock wrote: »
    Hey dude, I need a co mod in Retro. Would you love it?

Fast Ninja there!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

No one has mentioned the Aardvark forum yet.

What with all the hassle people have with Aardvarks recently, it must be a hive of activity and intense debate.......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I would've said Commuting and Transport as a decent contender given the amount of vested interest and company employees v. irate customers v enthusiasts v bean counters. Since the rail split it seems to have calmed down.

But football is without question the hardest...having to read those inane superthreads should be the equivalent of mod punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭kuntboy

Owen_S wrote: »
    The soccer forum also contains a large amount of Liverpool fans who need to be repeatedly told to 'calm down calm down'.

Eh? You wot?..

You wanna fight like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I'd say the hardest to Mod is Soccer, i once got an infraction for linking a story to The Sun!!! :mad::mad:

People say AH is hard but nah, they just ban/infract and think no more of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

The bouncy castle forum. It's just so up and down in that place!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Shooting, Infrastructure, that kind of litigious forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭shanec1928

going to buck the trend and say motors forum.the amount of mods that just closed there accounts there in the last while is pretty high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I'd say the Christianity forum is probably the worst. It must be full of people who have decided that the Atheist and Agnostic forum isn't the place to debate the existence of God and that it would be more fun to make a nuisance of themselves on a religious forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

I'm sure the Models forum is full of people who've wandered in there for the wrong reasons.

Advertisement