Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massive Crows??

Options
  • 07-04-2012 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I have pheasant feeders out and in the morning and evening there are always giant crows at it i think they are rooks but i seen them once and a while before but now there are loads of them.I have tryed to shoot them i got 6 one day lying up against the hedge but they are very hard to get them into range now, nearly impossible.:mad::mad::mad:
    Does anyone else notice these giant crows????
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭TossL1916

I have pheasant feeders out and in the morning and evening there are always giant crows at it i think they are rooks but i seen them once and a while before but now there are loads of them.I have tryed to shoot them i got 6 one day lying up against the hedge but they are very hard to get them into range now, nearly impossible.:mad::mad::mad:
    i was out the other day and saw a massive fella eating a rabbit, and it wouldn surprise if it was after killing the rabbit itself because this yoke was absolutely feckin huge!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Probably a raven or a carrion crow (Corvus corone) .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

Probably a raven or a carrion crow (Corvus corone) .

and raven's are protected so no shooting ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

tfox wrote: »
    and raven's are protected so no shooting ;)

Cant be shot at all? even if damaging crop?

Reason I ask is say if the raven isnt that big and he flew into a field while you were protecting crop then it'd be hard to tell the raven from a normal crow? :confused:

Hunter21 wrote: »
    Cant be shot at all? even if damaging crop?

Reason I ask is say if the raven isnt that big and he flew into a field while you were protecting crop then it'd be hard to tell the raven from a normal crow? :confused:

A raven is quite a large bird, you will often see them mobbing buzzards. you can tell them by the "cronk" noise they make.

They mostly feed on carrion etc, tough on newborn lambs too, not sure how much crop damage they do, I'm sure someone who knows more will be along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

crow_rook_carrion_raven.gif

The first three can be shot for crop protection and are easy to tell apart and the raven is much much larger and easy to distinguish from the others too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

40y 30y 15y 10y:D looks all the same ;)

Spunk84 wrote: »

Now Dougal, these cows are small, but those ones are far far away :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25N-4zrk390

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭TriggerPL

tfox wrote: »
    Spunk84 wrote: »

Now Dougal, these cows are small, but those ones are far far away :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25N-4zrk390

Shoot them all let god decide . I'd say what you dealing with is rooks , raven aren't that plenty full that you would shoot 6 in a day

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

You would know a raven a mile away. They are way bigger than rooks. Anyway if it looks like a big rook but has a black beak then its not a big rook is it.
    Jackdaws = small black/ash grey
    Rook = black with a grey bill and white patch under the beak
    Raven = BIG with a glossy black plumage and a massive black bill.

If you cant identify what your shooting then put the gun away. Simples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

garv123 wrote: »

The first three can be shot for crop protection and are easy to tell apart and the raven is much much larger and easy to distinguish from the others too.

Sound for that Garv..

Never seen one of them around my area anyway that's the reason I asked about if you seen a small raven how would you identify it before shooting it. Clearly they are away bigger then the other three breeds that are allowed to be shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pugw

A multi catch larsen trap might be the job, you cant shoot them all and you cant be there 24-7! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

TriggerPL wrote: »
    Shoot them all let god decide . I'd say what you dealing with is rooks , raven aren't that plenty full that you would shoot 6 in a day

Depends where you are. 13/14 landed on a fence in front of me a couple of years ago while I was ambushing grey crows. They have not gotten less plentiful since. I have a soft spot for Ravens.
    You would know a raven a mile away.

+1.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Theshooter2012

i was talking to a farmer yesterday and he said that the should be shot along with the gray crows because they were taking eyes out of sheep and lambs during labour.
    Where did you hear they cant be shot??? Just as a matter of interest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭rabbit assassin

Theres 2 ravens out near me and its hard to believe the size of them :eek: Its impossible to get close to them though. 200 yards is as close as I can get !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Where did you hear they cant be shot??? Just as a matter of interest

You'll find it in the Wildlife Act and the open seasons order. Shoot one and you're facing big fines, possible jail time and say goodbye to your gun license.

Theres 2 ravens out near me and its hard to believe the size of them :eek: Its impossible to get close to them though. 200 yards is as close as I can get !

I was in the Tower of London a few years back and they have captive Ravens there. These are massive birds close up and really handsome creatures. Wingspan is about 120cm compared to 85cm for a Rook. In the wild they pair for life, like geese. Got a pair on our shoot that have never caused us any trouble (and I've seen them harassing Buzzards, so maybe they are helping us!).

they were taking eyes out of sheep and lambs during labour.

They will, but badgers have been known to kill lambs too. Just because something kills stock doesn't make it legal to shoot it.

On birds, all wild birds are protected. The only reason we're allowed in certain circumstances to shoot some species is because of a quarterly derogation signed by the minister of the Environment which says we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

I was in the Tower of London a few years back and they have captive Ravens there. These are massive birds close up and really handsome creatures. Wingspan is about 120cm compared to 85cm for a Rook. In the wild they pair for life, like geese. Got a pair on our shoot that have never caused us any trouble (and I've seen them harassing Buzzards, so maybe they are helping us!).
    Them buzzards are massive. I didn't know what they were at first. Had to ask a few people. There was a few released around here 4 years ago and they are surviving great.

4200fps wrote: »
    Them buzzards are massive. I didn't know what they were at first. Had to ask a few people. There was a few released around here 4 years ago and they are surviving great.

If they're Buzzards, they will have moved into the area by themselves, I'm not aware a release program for Buzzards. Red Kites, Golden Eagles and White-tailed Sea Eagles have all been released recently - and they are all massive! The Sea Eagle has a wingspan of nearly 2 and a half metres - thats nearly 8 feet in old money. You could mistake it for a small aircraft;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

johngalway wrote: »
    They will, but badgers have been known to kill lambs too.

On that point John, they may have been known to eat dead sheep of any age or dead anything of any age just like most animals but never seen any reports or film footage of them killing lambs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭snipe02

there is a stuffed raven in the natural museum well worth a look its massive

fodda wrote: »
    On that point John, they may have been known to eat dead sheep of any age or dead anything of any age just like most animals but never seen any reports or film footage of them killing lambs.

They do, they will also kill fowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

johngalway wrote: »
    They do, they will also kill fowl.

Only the odd claim from a farmer i can find on the internet with millions on millions of film footage of them but none on this, and when you think about it an even easy prey for them "rabbits" but no film on that either when they could easily be dug out by them.
    Anything trapped in a cage or pen/coop is easy food for any passing animal......food on a plate!

Dead animals yes but not hunting.............anyway......waaayyyy off subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭good logs...

i seen me frist wild raven about a week a go, and theres no way you could mistake it for a big crow, and it was 60,70 yards a way. the noise it made, how black its feathers are, and the size of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guBwMUAWAJI&feature=related

Also Ravens are extremly intelligent,exellent sound imitators, and are the deer hunters friend.;)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Where abouts are you?? - more and more Carrion Crows are turning up in the East of the country. They are bigger than Rooks and are basically Grey Crows without the Grey colour. Pure black feathers. They are closely related to Grey Crows and they can inter-breed. They basically replace Grey Crows in Southern Britain and Much of Western Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

The ravens around my way feed on muntjac! and the occasional big black cat:D

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Theshooter2012

I have done a bit of research and birdwatching today they are carrion crows they crow they do not croak and they are silent when flying they do not swish and from pictures i found on the internet the crow is much more sleak and smooth wheras the raven is a bit more rough.

Thanks for your stories and replies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

I'm on the edge of Clew Bay and we have a few, just a few, ravens round here and you could never mistake them for any other crow. They are feckin HUGE! I've yet to hear a sheep farmer say they had trouble with them though, it's ALWAYS grey crows.

Advertisement