Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massive Crows??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Longranger wrote: »
    I'm on the edge of Clew Bay and we have a few, just a few, ravens round here and you could never mistake them for any other crow. They are feckin HUGE! I've yet to hear a sheep farmer say they had trouble with them though, it's ALWAYS grey crows.
    Ravens are rare so the greys will do the damage I've heard of ravens actually hunting like of rats and very young rabbits that don't know danger but I've heard of big greys doin that too
    I have a Harris hawk and crows do follow her around I'd say a raven would prob proper attack her they are massive birds

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Ravens are rare so the greys will do the damage I've heard of ravens actually hunting like of rats and very young rabbits that don't know danger but I've heard of big greys doin that too
    I have a Harris hawk and crows do follow her around I'd say a raven would prob proper attack her they are massive birds

Do they not follow her around so she cant get above/behind them to pounce on them? thats what we were told when i was back in primary school when they brought all the hawks and such to the school for a demo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

garv123 wrote: »

Do they not follow her around so she cant get above/behind them to pounce on them? thats what we were told when i was back in primary school when they brought all the hawks and such to the school for a demo
    Not really the likes of falcons attack from above
    Most hawks hunt just at a height few feet from ground especially harris hawks and will take crows on ground or few feet up but suppose if she was soarin and seen crows in front and under her height then yeah I'm sure she'd take them she hasn't yet but I'd say she'd try it
    One crow won't harass a hawk usually a group as its safer in groups

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ace86

I have been told that a Raven's Beak is poisonous and i know of a few people that had lambs killed and injured from them and ltr died, and I have seen a lamb by a friend of mine this year where a hole has been picked out of his head and is still alive so far. Anyone else see or hear this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

ace86 wrote: »
    I have been told that a Raven's Beak is poisonous and i know of a few people that had lambs killed and injured from them and ltr died, and I have seen a lamb by a friend of mine this year where a hole has been picked out of his head and is still alive so far. Anyone else see or hear this?

There are no poisonous bird species(in the sense of certain snakes, spiders etc.) - any injuries on a lamb simply get infected by bacteria, in the same way any injury would eg.from barbed wire, dog bite etc. Very young lambs have undeveloped immune systems so die from such infections much more often then older animals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Eddie B

fodda wrote: »
    On that point John, they may have been known to eat dead sheep of any age or dead anything of any age just like most animals but never seen any reports or film footage of them killing lambs.

Raven's will feed on new born Lamb's, and healthy sheep which have rolled on their back's, just like Mag's and Gray's! The difference is, that Raven number's are low, unlike those of Mag's and Gray's, which need to be controlled to strike a balance!
    The reason why there's no footage of this is because no one's gonna sit for hour's filming a farmer's sheep being eaten alive!:rolleyes: and anyone with an interest in filming Raven's ain't gonna show their bad side!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Eddie B wrote: »
    Raven's will feed on new born Lamb's, and healthy sheep which have rolled on their back's, just like Mag's and Gray's! The difference is, that Raven number's are low, unlike those of Mag's and Gray's, which need to be controlled to strike a balance!
    The reason why there's no footage of this is because no one's gonna sit for hour's filming a farmer's sheep being eaten alive!:rolleyes: and anyone with an interest in filming Raven's ain't gonna show their bad side!

Fodda was talking about badgers, which I brought up. Though I think your last sentence in bold still applies :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Longranger wrote: »
    I'm on the edge of Clew Bay and we have a few, just a few, ravens round here and you could never mistake them for any other crow. They are feckin HUGE! I've yet to hear a sheep farmer say they had trouble with them though, it's ALWAYS grey crows.

Prepare for that to change :D I see and hear them here every day and there are new nests appearing in various places each year. We're not too far apart as the Raven flies.

I've seen ravens on the ground heading for young lambs who'd been left by the ewe to be fed at the trough.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Brazen feckers aren't they! I'll have to keep the eyes open.....

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Theshooter2012

johngalway wrote: »
    Prepare for that to change :D I see and hear them here every day and there are new nests appearing in various places each year. We're not too far apart as the Raven flies.

I've seen ravens on the ground heading for young lambs who'd been left by the ewe to be fed at the trough.

Video to prove it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpphQ9_OWQw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

That video shows Carrion Crows not Ravens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Eddie B

LostCovey wrote: »
    That video shows Carrion Crows not Ravens.

You sure? Look like Raven's to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Eddie B wrote: »
    You sure? Look like Raven's to me!

Fairly sure - they have none of the size or bulk of Ravens.

It's hard to overemphasise how huge they are - see Ravens at a sheep carcass here

Ravens-eating-flesh-from-sheep-carcass.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Theshooter2012

LostCovey wrote: »
    Fairly sure - they have none of the size or bulk of Ravens.

It's hard to overemphasise how huge they are - see Ravens at a sheep carcass here

Ravens-eating-flesh-from-sheep-carcass.jpg

Im sorry but i cant resist these crows are small but the ones in the video are far away. LOL :D:D
    but seriously they are the same size as that lamb

Advertisement