Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I too old to think about immigrating?

Options
  • 07-04-2012 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

I am 36, my husband 39. We had 3 small children under 8.
    It is on my mind alot lately, I know I should have done it before I had a baby but life was good as was money.
    Now I just about able to keep my head above water, in a job I hate and things are only going to get worse as dh's job is on the line.

Are we too old to make a fresh start somewhere. Would we get a visa?
    We don't have trade's, we are both in middle management positions.
    Where would you start to make enquiries?

Thanks, any info is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

What's dh?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Dear Husband.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

If you don't want the hassle of visas, there's always staying here in Europe. You can get work in countries like Luxembourg, Belgium, Germany, the Netherlands, Sweden etc. and never need to speak the local language. Obviously, a willingness to learn it when you get there helps with integration and all that, and making life generally easier for you. But for the kids it shouldn't be a problem as they're young so their brains are like little sponges at the moment. Plus, you're only an hour or two from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭hellothere1

number10a wrote: »
    If you don't want the hassle of visas, there's always staying here in Europe. You can get work in countries like Luxembourg, Belgium, Germany, the Netherlands, Sweden etc. and never need to speak the local language. Obviously, a willingness to learn it when you get there helps with integration and all that, and making life generally easier for you. But for the kids it shouldn't be a problem as they're young so their brains are like little sponges at the moment. Plus, you're only an hour or two from home.

I'm going to agree with this. The visa hassle is very stressful, coupled with relocating overseas/culture shock is enough, not to even think about doing it with small kids. Think about places where you would know people and get in touch with them and see what they think. I would say it's never too late, and if this is on your mind then you should talk it over with the husband and see if it's something you're both considering. If it is, then there's no harm in looking into it at least, checking job websites and looking into the price of rent/housing etc. in different places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

What are your main drivers for leaving? Is it just work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭greenteaicedtea

I don't think you're too old. You might want to find out how many years you would have to be employed, where you're moving to, in order to get a pension when you retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭babygirlz

I don't think you're too old. You might want to find out how many years you would have to be employed, where you're moving to, in order to get a pension when you retire.

Good point, I haven't though of that one.

Myself and himself have discussed it as an option not at length though.

Work is not the main reason for thinking of leaving although it does play a big part.

We have mentioned Canada, we don't know anyone there so it really would be a fresh start.

Advertisement