Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Traveller housing not wanted here,' say locals

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Smeggy wrote: »
    Speaking as someone who's only ever had bad experiences with travellers I have to say I'd kick up a massive fuss if they wanted to live within 10 miles of my house!!

For example, in my local village once a year in August the travellers come from around the country to have a "horse fair".. They literally shut the town down for three days (so local people can't even drive up the street and have to detour out the countryside), they pile up their rubbish on the street, tools, toys, furniture etc.. they tie the horses onto the green. Pubs, the hotel and shops close for the day and probably a few nights beforehand as well. Then amazingly they vanish into thin air during the night leaving a clean up bill of about ten grand at last count.... All year round the people in the town invest a lot of time and effort into the tidy towns and they are simply allowed to come and destroy the place and waste that kind of money cleaning up after them, it really annoys me! :mad:

What makes me laugh however is the show The Truth About Travellers, they're so "respectful" and have such "great morals and traditions" it could'nt be further from the truth.. Give me a break!!

That show was sickeningly false.

http://meathchronicle.ie/news/navan/articles/2011/07/01/4005287-navan-gardai-braced-for-escalation-of-feud/print

This feud was going on at the time. You'll notice the names and locations of the people involved match those who were on the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I get the impression that "travellers" could be accepted in to polite society if they changed their behaviour e.g. not trashing the local environment wherever they land. If they did change, and settle down, would they still be "travellers"? So the open questions I have include the following. What is a "traveller"? What is in store for them in the future, if they carry on as they currently do? What do they need to change to secure their future?

I sometimes do "thought experiments" like this, but hesitate to talk about them, because some don't get the idea of a "thought experiment" and think that they reflect my actual opinion, or that I'm suggesting certain actions, which I am not.

So my "thought experiment" today is: if all "travellers" were to vanish off the face of the planet tomorrow, what would the impact be on Ireland? Would it be good, or bad? I don't know, but if the answer is "no impact" or "good", I think it's time for the "traveller" community to ask themselves some harsh questions about the impact they have on this country, and then do something positive to mend it.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

baldbear wrote: »
    Racists.

Realists?:confused:

I'll be honest myself, I would not like a traveller site built beside me where I live.

Not in a million years.

Same here. We have one about a mile away on the outer ring road. The daily grind usually consists of horse shyte on the footpaths (when dog owners can be fined for leaving a lot less) and sulky races on a dual carriageway.

Ireland in the 21st century. A bloody farce.

That's why the councils are trying to house Travellers in one off housing in the country but people are extremely hostile to this too.

Understandably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

:pac: Irish people are the best, the same people who would die of shock if you called every Nigerian in the country "scammers" feel it's okay to label all travellers scum or the such. Loltastic

votecounts wrote: »
    Same could be said about members of the settled community.

As one who suffered at the hands of a "settled" scumbag I concur. But I would again pose the question: what is the ratio of scumbags to civilised people in BOTH groups?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

So this is where councils are spending the money and now they want more from the household charge

Sure, give them accomadation but what odds there will be a feud and within a few months the houses will be empty at best or at worst they'll be burned to the ground

I'm sure there are others on the Sligo housing list who need the accomadation more and would be only delighted for a council house

votecounts wrote: »
    A lot of this is due to locals being greedy "oh no, this will knock more money off my house mentality". While forgetting that members of the settled community can be the biggest tools, criminals, bullys, etc
    Reaps of racism.

Not really. Would you like a modern traveller family next to you? As one who was reared in a council Street around the corner from a traveller family some 40-odd years ago, I can speak from experience. We were very lucky. The family were the salt of the Earth. But I'm sure others weren't so lucky. Thus the negativity and suspicion.

A few of them called to our door on Friday, stating they were "working on behalf of the neighbours":rolleyes: power hosing driveways. When I said no, an aggressive streak developed. Grand - I could tell them to eff off and they left. What if it were an elderly person living on their own?

I can certainly see why people could be up in arms. There is a also a rightful perception that the positive discrimination in favour of travellers is almost a reverse discrimination on the normal community.

• Advertisement

They're just like settled folk. There's nice ones and ar$eholes.

When I was a kid (about 12/13) there was a traveller in my class who was about 15. He was much bigger, and pretty much illiterate. One day, I was sitting outside the principals office (can't remember what for) and so was he. I had felt threatened by him (stereotyping, the size of him etc.) Anyway, turns out he couldn't do basic subtraction. I showed him how to, and became a little bit of a tutor for him. He left that year, but he was able to add and subtract.

Fast forward 3 years, there was a "war" going on between my council estate and another on the far side of town. I ended up getting hopped on by 4 of the lads from the other estate and properly got the $hit kicked out of me. As I was getting the hiding of my life, the traveller from all those years ago passed by, saw what was going on, leapt in and fought the lads on my behalf. He knocked 7 shades of $hit out of them. As I lay there, blood everywhere, he picked me up and carried me home. Where my mam called the ambulance for me :)

Moral of the story: be prejudiced all you want, but karma works and you never know when it'll be repaid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Kaner2004

I was brought up on a council estate with a couple of halting sites within spitting distance, and a few settled travellers taking up some of the houses in the estate.
    I had contact with them all my life, from school on, until I was about 25, even working with some of them on sites.
    I can honestly say that I never met even one of them, who I would take my eye off with something valuable, or even remotely valuable around.

One became a friend for about 6 months when we were in school, and then my mum came home to find him and his brother in our house stealing the bill money. They had spotted a weak window lock while in my house one day and took advantage the minute they got the chance, on a Friday when the bill money was all in the cupboard. Thats what you get for letting them close.

The amount of times I actually saw them stealing stuff on building sites they and i were working on, and then I told the foreman or whoever. When they knew they were caught they just give it back and say they were only joking, and that was always the end of it. Any attempts to follow up were met with cries of racist, to whatever person was trying to deal with them.

Please, let them stay in someone elses backyard, far away from mine for a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

I will give my solution to the traveller halting site issue. Its simple. The theory is

1) Travellers are badly treated by society.
    2) We need to give them better facilities and areas to live in.

And yet - this simple theory never leads to the obvious conclusion.

Put all traveller sites in the rich areas. Mostly Dublin, mostly south side, mostly the rich. Dalkey, Howth, Ballsbridge. And so on. Top 10%, and top 10% only.

There are a number of reasons for this.

1) Poorer and lower middle class areas have only so many resources, in schools, in council facilities etc. Pushing more human poverty on these areas is unfair.
    2) If travellers are poor because of their surrounding environment ( as well as their own sites etc.) then it will help alleviate the poverty if the environment of the travellers improves. In theory, of course.
    3) It is unfair to blame "society" for ill treatment of travellers, if only some of society are charged with dealing with it, and that some is the bottom 50-60% who are least resourced to dealing with it.
    4) It seems that a lot of the whining about the "racism" comes from traditionally elite institutions ( like Trinity) from where the great and good who opine then decamp in the top areas, ghettoed by distance from the rest of us. Not just travellers. ( the main reason to pay more to live in an elite area is to live beside the kind of people who live in an elite area. The rich want to ghettoise themselves from nurses, IT workers, teachers, and office workers, and whine about the lower middle, and working class hostility to, and ghettoisation from travellers).

So far when halting sites are mentioned, it always Tallaght, or the poorest country towns and the poor parts of those country towns, who seem to get sites. Lets distribute them more equitably.

Dubit10 wrote: »
    :pac: Irish people are the best, the same people who would die of shock if you called every Nigerian in the country "scammers" feel it's okay to label all travellers scum or the such. Loltastic

Race is based on genetics. Culture is based on choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Smeggy

Freddie59 wrote: »

A few of them called to our door on Friday, stating they were "working on behalf of the neighbours":rolleyes: power hosing driveways. When I said no, an aggressive streak developed. Grand - I could tell them to eff off and they left. What if it were an elderly person living on their own?

That is exactly what happened to my aunt who is in her 80s, living alone, a group of travellers called and offered to power hose the outside of her house... They were very insistent so she agreed.. They were there for half a day, charged her 4 grand for the pleasure, even drove her into the bank to get it! This is the kind of behaviour that adds to my intolerance of travellers!! Cal me racist if you want but I have no time for any of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

They certainly don't do themselves any favours.

I have only ever had one encounter with the Travellers, which involved me being run off the road, which was pleasant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I work in a shop at weekends when I'm not in college and quite a few travellers visit the shop. Based on experience I would say about 30% are sound and the rest are very unpleasant people, I could use other words to give a more accurate description but id probably get banned. They are constantly trying to steal stuff or shouting at eachother or letting their rabble of completely uncontrollable children run riot in the shop. They just don't give a sh!t about anyone and think they can get away with anything.

I think they are having a bit of an identity crisis, they can't live today the way they did 2 generations ago, as a nomadic people who helped on a farms fixing stuff etc. Their old ways of life are gone but they haven't blended into the rest of irish society. It seems to me that they kind of don't fit in anymore.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

MagicSean wrote: »
    Race is based on genetics. Culture is based on choices.

Nobody chooses their culture.

Travelling culture, like any other culture, is neither inferior nor superior to that of the settled Irish, its just different. The level to which their culture is de-humanised is shocking, they're the only ethnic minority that it's socially acceptable to openly deride. We've even passed laws which more or less criminalise their whole culture.

I seriously doubt a tv show called My Big Fat Black Wedding would get aired.

Mickeroo wrote: »

Can choose to leave
    Travelling culture, like any other culture, is neither inferior nor superior to that of the settled Irish, its just different.

Rubbish, this is nonsense cultural relativism.
    The level to which their culture is de-humanised is shocking, they're the only ethnic minority that it's socially acceptable to openly deride. We've even passed laws which more or less criminalise their whole culture.

What laws?

Thats in the UK.

I come from a culture known for heavy drinking yet I don't drink.
    Travelling culture, like any other culture, is neither inferior nor superior to that of the settled Irish, its just different. The level to which their culture is de-humanised is shocking, they're the only ethnic minority that it's socially acceptable to openly deride. We've even passed laws which more or less criminalise their whole culture.

You mean the equality laws? They did pretty well there. Or do you mean the laws banning trespassing?

Again, the difference between a persons colour, which is genetic, and their culture, which is not. A persons colour plays no part in their choices, their background does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Ireland's gone to the dogs travellers

Gotta luv the EU

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Can choose to leave

How does one leave a culture exactly? You can change aspects of yourself of course but you'll never entirely shake off the cultural programming you've undergone through out your life.
    Rubbish, this is nonsense cultural relativism.

no, its nonsense to think your culture is superior to any other. Its also perfectly normal to think it though in fairness, thats how culutres survive afterall.
    What laws?

The ones mentioned in this article: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0321/1224313640600.html

Thats in the UK.

So? Point still stands, we get those channels here too.

No, but they can choose to leave. Given the educational resources now placed at the disposal of travellers it would seem a pretty clear choice.
    Travelling culture, like any other culture, is neither inferior nor superior to that of the settled Irish, its just different.

Yes, I don't have horses in my back garden or race sulkies along a dual carriageway. It's called socially acceptable behaviour.
    The level to which their culture is de-humanised is shocking, they're the only ethnic minority that it's socially acceptable to openly deride. We've even passed laws which more or less criminalise their whole culture.

Dehumanised? How so? Travellers nowadays are provided with every State resource available, with their children being collected in minibuses and taxis for school, while members of the neighbouring communities have to make their own way there with their children.

With the blessing of travellers themselves. They were loving it. They could have chosen NOT to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Travellers who get houses are no longer travellers - They have settled. If they want all the benefits their "culture" entitles them to, they should have to live in the caravan and travel.

MagicSean wrote: »
    Again, the difference between a persons colour, which is genetic, and their culture, which is not. A persons colour plays no part in their choices, their background does.

Sorry, I'll change it to My Big Fat African Wedding then, you know the point I was making.

They're just like settled folk. There's nice ones and ar$eholes.

As i've already asked: what is the ratio of each in both communities?

Sorry, I'll change it to My Big Fat African Wedding then, you know the point I was making.

My Big Fat Greek Wedding? The Original "Big Fat" buzz?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0259446/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Paulie Gualtieri

passed through colloney yesterday , so dont know what the hassle is , its a kip , little boy racer town , retards with dump valves on a 97 micra , and muppets with frying pan exhausts ,

so maybe the site will add a touch of class to to the place.

How does one leave a culture exactly?
    You walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The State had “effectively institutionally criminalised” this section of society, he said, by introducing the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994, which strengthened anti-trespass laws.

And this is to be welcomed

Unless you want to go back to the old days of spending thousands in getting injunctions or paying slightly less to the boyos in a bribe to shift them on.
    Why should a landowner have to pursue a civil case to shift on trespassers.

They changed it to a criminal offence and we're better off having it this way.

Travellers weren't the only reason the law was changed, a lot of it was to due to with compo culture and claims from trespassers.
    People used to write that we were second only to the USA in claims and suing, wasn't that long ago
    “Somebody should tell the Irish Government that this is not the Eurovision song contest. On this issue you need to get nul points.”

Condescending comment from an arrogant British lawyer

no, but they can choose to leave. Given the educational resources now placed at the disposal of travellers it would seem a pretty clear choice.

Leave what exactly? THey can settle, go to school etc. They'll still be regarded as settled travellers rather than just settled people.

Yes, I don't have horses in my back garden or race sulkies along a dual carriageway. It's called socially acceptable behaviour.

It is socially aceptable within travelling culture to do those things.
    Dehumanised? How so?

The title of thread says it all really
    With the blessing of travellers themselves. They were loving it. They could have chosen NOT to do it.

This is true, but it doesn't make the show any less abhorrent imo. It only exists to make a freak show of a minority.

• Advertisement

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    My Big Fat Greek Wedding? The Original "Big Fat" buzz?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0259446/

Yea a rom com based on the writers own life. Similar only in name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

Smeggy wrote: »
    That is exactly what happened to my aunt who is in her 80s, living alone, a group of travellers called and offered to power hose the outside of her house... They were very insistent so she agreed.. They were there for half a day, charged her 4 grand for the pleasure, even drove her into the bank to get it! This is the kind of behaviour that adds to my intolerance of travellers!! Cal me racist if you want but I have no time for any of them

4,000 for cleaning her driveway?

How does one leave a culture exactly? You can change aspects of yourself of course but you'll never entirely shake off the cultural programming you've undergone through out your life.

You leave the culture. It's simple.
    no, its nonsense to think your culture is superior to any other. Its also perfectly normal to think it though in fairness, thats how culutres survive after all.

Nope, moral relativism again. People who go out to work are more moral than people who choose not to, and live off the people who go out to work.

Your definition of culture could defend the Mafia, or Bankers - there is a baker culture of greed, people are born to it, who're we to condemn them. There is a mafia culture of greed and criminality, people are born to it, who are we to condemn them?

A law which prohibited an illegal activity in most countries, and this muppet says that it is "targeting" a specific group? Its a law which applies to all groups.
    So? Point still stands, we get those channels here too.

Nothing to do with Irish attitudes to travellers. By they way I live in London where the usage of the word p*ikey is widespread, funny enough even amongst liberals. Even in this thread, and in general life in Ireland, the middle classes don't use the K word.

We do discrimiante on where we put the housing, as I mentioned before. Funny enough that is not really mentioned.

Leave what exactly? THey can settle, go to school etc. They'll still be regarded as settled travellers rather than just settled people.

At least they'll have made the effort. As long as they don't bring the horses, etc with them.

It is completely UNACCEPTABLE in a modern society to do these things. This is the 21st century.
    The title of thread says it all really
    So not wanting horses, rubbish, and caravans in your vicinity is "dehumanising" someone? What about the protection of the local community's right to quiet?
    This is true, but it doesn't make the show any less abhorrent imo. It only exists to make a freak show of a minority.

So the travellers embraced and loved it, but you're abhorring it on their behalf? Strange indeed.:)

So something "socially acceptable in a sub-culture", needs to be accepted by the rest of society. YOu are campaigning for FGM then, I take it?

You walk.

Its really not that easy to instantly dismiss everything you've seen as normal for your whole life.

Criminalising trespassing only affects a culture which does a lot of trespassing. In any case, travellers don't need ethnic status because they are specifically mentioned in equality acts on their own merit.

Nothing to do with Irish attitudes to travellers. By they way I live in London where the usage of the word p*ikey is widespread, funny enough even amongst liberals. Even in this thread, and in general life in Ireland, the middle classes don't use the K word.

The K word is openly used in ireland just as much. The only reason the k word is not used on this thread is because it would be met with a ban/infraction and rightly so.
    So something "socially acceptable in a sub-culture", needs to be accepted by the rest of society. YOu are campaigning for FGM then, I take it?

FGM is also socially acceptable within the cultures its practiced in, that doesn't mean I condone it in our society. You are quite right that you could justify just about anything on these grounds I admit, but that is the way of the world. We live in the bubble of western culture and everything outside of that is inferior to us, this is a perfectly normal mindset for any culture and it was one shared by all the great cultures that rose and collapsed before ours. There's things in our own culture that will be seen as morally abhorrent in a hundred years time, the thing is we have absolutely no way of knowing what those things are.

Its really not that easy to instantly dismiss everything you've seen as normal for your whole life.

It should be when your state education presents you with what is ACTUALLY normal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

You're doing the exact same by saying "irish people" and grouping every irish person as a traveller hater.

It should be when your state education presents you with what is ACTUALLY normal.

normality is entirely subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

With Travellers, as with any other group of people, there are decent ones and not so decent ones and a lot of people on this thread would do well to recognise that. You cannot and should not tar them all with one brush. Its bigotry and petty snobbery imo and nothing more.

I can think of much worse types to have as neighbours.....murderers, rapists, paedophiles/child molesters, drug dealers, gangsters etc.

The K word is openly used in ireland just as much. The only reason the k word is not used on this thread is because it would be met with a ban/infraction and rightly so.

FGM is also socially acceptable within the cultures its practiced in, that doesn't mean I condone it in our society. You are quite right that you could justify just about anything on these grounds I admit, but that is the way of the world. We live in the bubble of western culture and everything outside of that is inferior to us, this is a perfectly normal mindset for any culture and it was one shared by all the great cultures that rose and collapsed before ours. There's things in our own culture that will be seen as morally abhorrent in a hundred years time, the thing is we have absolutely no way of knowing what those things are.

WE cant worry about the future, a different country indeed. However you didn't answer the question - you justified some illegal acts by Travellers by recourse to their culture, and yet you don't condone FGM. Which means you are accusing yourself of Western Chauvinism, and you only want to apply the rules of cultural relativism to certain sub-cultures, which makes no sense.

(I don't even get the Western thing, as Travellers are part of Western culture, they don't get honorary Eastern status)

Nor is even, on its own merits, the claim that all "great" cultures feel superior to another any kind of argument, it is an absence of one. Sure, Westerners feel superior to radical Islam, and radical Islam feels superior to the West, but that doesn't mean they are both equally right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

With Travellers, as with any other group of people, there are decent ones and not so decent ones and a lot of people on this thread would do well to recognise that. You cannot and should not tar them all with one brush. Its bigotry and petty snobbery imo and nothing more.

I can think of much worse types to have as neighbours.....murderers, rapists, paedophiles/child molesters, drug dealers, gangsters etc.

Sort of funny. You're defending them by saying they're not as bad as having a group of rapists living next door :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Paparazzo wrote: »

You're doing the exact same by saying "irish people" and grouping every irish person as a traveller hater.
    Exactly. And it's a stupid, illogical comment. So that kind of thinking is exclusive to Irish people is it? And eh... where is the shyte coming from that those who call travellers scum would be shocked at Nigerians being called scammers? Because no... you can be fairly sure they wouldn't.

It's wrong to condemn all travellers but those who pretend there aren't serious problems inherent in traveller culture and this can affect how many of them behave, just seem to be privileged, sheltered folk who haven't had to live in close proximity to travellers who cause destruction, and who would die if a halting site were proposed for their locale.

• Advertisement

WE cant worry about the future, a different country indeed. However you didn't answer the question - you justified some illegal acts by Travellers by recourse to their culture, and yet you don't condone FGM. Which means you are accusing yourself of Western Chauvinism, and you only want to apply the rules of cultural relativism to certain sub-cultures, which makes no sense.

I don't condone FGM but I have no problem with it being practiced within any culture that does. But yeah its a flimsy argument since Travellers occupy the same space as us and those that practice FGM do not. I don't really see any part of Traveller culture as being as bad as FGM though.
    (I don't even get the Western thing, as Travellers are part of Western culture, they don't get honorary Eastern status)

You misunderstand what I mean by western culture. I mean western culture as in settled, predominantly white consumerist capitalist society. Travellers are not part of that particular culture because they don't fulfil many of the cultural norms within which is the very reason there is such a problem with them.
    Nor is even, on its own merits, the claim that all "great" cultures feel superior to another any kind of argument, it is an absence of one. Sure, Westerners feel superior to radical Islam, and radical Islam feels superior to the West, but that doesn't mean they are both equally right.

Within their respective culures they are equally right. Its all about consensus really. if the majority of Irish people were a nomadic culture then settled people would be the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Smeggy

theTinker wrote: »
    4,000 for cleaning her driveway?

No for power washing the walls and roof of her small bungalow... Dont worry, Im sure they included it on their income tax return!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It isn't that simple to just "walk" in fairness from family, friends, a way of life. Silly thing to say tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

No its not. The Irish have been doing it for centuries. I just walked away from my culture when I was 25. I lived for 18 years in a different one because I felt it would suit me better and would provide me more advantages. Did it all by myself. No help from no one. It worked out just fine. The human condition is set up to be very resilient and resourceful when it wants to be.

Ireland has a history of migration, be it us going to the US to stay with your mammys cousin in Boston, or to the UK to work on the building sites, or people from the country moving to Dublin, to all the folks these days getting on planes to Australia.

They face/have faced predudice all the time, from signs in the windows saying "No Blacks, No Irish" to being slagged off for being culchies. One culture being wary of another has been happening since the dawn of time, especially if it is weighed down by negative sterotypes that may are may not have a basis in truth & lets face it, a lot of them do.

But if you DO move or decide to walk away from your roots it is not the end of the world for you. If you keep your head down, you work hard, you respect the norms and values of those around you, and you just get on with living your life without causing undue harm or hassle to those around you, for the most part, you'll be grand. Whether you are a Traveller or not. The question is, how many of that community are willing to do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

Who are these people who refuse travellers housing?

Damn RACISTS, xenophobes, discriminationists. Every human has a right to housing a full life and social welfare for as long as they want.

• Advertisement
Advertisement