Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Traveller housing not wanted here,' say locals

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

juan.kerr wrote: »
    They should be ashamed of themselves.
    Why? A distinct people defending themselves against large amounts of hostility by city folk (mainly). A lot of them just want liberty and freedom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

KeithAFC wrote: »
    juan.kerr wrote: »
    They should be ashamed of themselves.
    Why? A distinct people defending themselves against large amounts of hostility by city folk (mainly). A lot of them just want liberty and freedom.
    Haha, anything to go against the grain! As if you'd be a fan of travellers... :pac:

Dudess wrote: »
    Haha, anything to go against the grain! As if you'd be a fan of travellers... :pac:
    Why not? Are they not entitled to freedom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Freedom to do what exactly keith?

If you get a chance, can you also articulate the responsibilities these people also exercise?

:rolleyes:

Lol. Not even trying to be subtle like.

If you get a chance, can you also articulate the responsibilities these people also exercise?

Freedom to live the way they want without hassle. I think it is only fair they get that. I think it is only fair they are allowed to stick to the traditional values they have and not have that taken away from them.

Freedom to live the way they want without hassle. I think it is only fair they get that. I think it is only fair they are allowed to stick to the traditional values they have and not have that taken away from them.
    Who's saying they shouldn't have the freedom to live their lives as they see fit so long as it doesn't impinge on others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

No such thing as the RSPCA in Ireland thank goodness.

??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Society wants travellers to cop on and clean up their act.

TRAVELLERS SAY NO

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Kieth says NO

Travellers say NO

We all say YES

Off to your encampment boyo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Where's Rosanna Flynn?

That hysterical women who calls us all racists :(

She's gone very quiet since Pamela Izevbekhai made a fool of her with the fake documents.

HSE can find some accomadation in her estate, she would welcome them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Nok1a wrote: »
    Do you work for the daily mail? You are blaming travellers for all the non existent sleep deprived deaths on our motorways?

Ireland is the only country in europe that has roadside rest areas dotted along their motorways, the are a death trap and go against common sense

Wtf are you on about? We have no proper rest areas or facilities along our motorways!

Wtf are you on about? We have no proper rest areas or facilities along our motorways!

Yes we do

Applegreen run the one in Lusk

Fuel, shop, hot food and even showers
    What more do you need?
    http://applegreen.ie/locations/luskM1North

There is another in Enfield

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Freedom to live the way they want without hassle.
    By causing hassle for everyone else. You really are only a WUM.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Yes we do

Applegreen run the one in Lusk

Fuel, shop, hot food and even showers
    What more do you need?
    http://applegreen.ie/locations/luskM1North

There is another in Enfield

So that would be....two?
    I'm talking about free unmanned laybys where you can park up and go to the public toilet and have a drink of water and maybe sit down at a picnic table and chill out for 20mins. This kind of set up is common in Germany, France, Austria etc...it helps that there are no freeloaders who would just set up camp and fook the place up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Freedom to live the way they want without hassle, eh?

Living the way that they want often means engaging in criminal behaviour, wide spread petty thievery, cruelty to animals, violence, gender discrimination, turning green spaces into toxic environmental waste lands, homophobia, lack of education, living off social welfare, much higher levels of suicide, mental illness, depression, domestic violence & not engaging in types of employment that contributes taxes to government coffers. The very same coffers that pays their social welfare, pays for them to get stitched up in the A&E, pays for their halting sites and gives them free houses if they want them.

I am all for people maintaining their traditional values as long as they contribute something to society as a whole, not detract from it, and certainly not if the tax payer has to pay for it. I have neighbours who are Ethiopian. I was invited to celebrate Easter with them by participating in a traditional Ethiopian coffee ceremony. It was great crack. I could do without the smells of the highly spiced food that they cook wafting into our shared apt building corridor, but over all they are great neighbours. Me and the rest of my neighbours get on great with them, even though our life styles and values would not be 100% identical. We are not close minded people.

If people of differing cultures can not live together in harmony then serious questions need to be asked about WHY that is, behaviour patterns analysed and solutions decided upon. Making vague, wishy washy "each to his own" statements don't get anyone any where.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

the irony in that statement has me in stitches!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

hondasam wrote: »
    Where are the council getting the money to build houses?

us tax payers of course.... nama has thousands of empty houses but noooooooo the travellers wont live in them they want us to build them new homes... most of them barely contribute anything back in terms of taxes or social aspects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

So freedom to do whatever they want basically and who cares what impact it has on all non-travellers. Yeah, that seems fair.
    So that would be....two?
    I'm talking about free unmanned laybys where you can park up and go to the public toilet and have a drink of water and maybe sit down at a picnic table and chill out for 20mins. This kind of set up is common in Germany, France, Austria etc...it helps that there are no freeloaders who would just set up camp and fook the place up

There are laybys on the new Dublin to Kilkenny/Waterford motorway. There are no public toilets at these (unless these any been installed in the last couple of months) but there is significant space to park up and maybe stretch your legs if needs be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Meow_Meow

LOL
    All this coming from a pro-Israel loyalist.... if you can't see the irony in that, I give up now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

What do you base this upon. You have heard of country folk,one a few hundred yards from my house, having to open fire on the swine to get them to stop terrorising them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

They see me trollin', they hatin'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭Rocky Bay

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The K word is openly used in ireland just as much. The only reason the k word is not used on this thread is because it would be met with a ban/infraction and rightly so.

FGM is also socially acceptable within the cultures its practiced in, that doesn't mean I condone it in our society. You are quite right that you could justify just about anything on these grounds I admit, but that is the way of the world. We live in the bubble of western culture and everything outside of that is inferior to us, this is a perfectly normal mindset for any culture and it was one shared by all the great cultures that rose and collapsed before ours. There's things in our own culture that will be seen as morally abhorrent in a hundred years time, the thing is we have absolutely no way of knowing what those things are.
    ...and one of those things is coursing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

markesmith wrote: »
    They see me trollin', they hatin'

Looking back, I think I was trolled good!

Moment of weakness... I couldn't resist.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Freedom to live the way they want without hassle, eh?

Living the way that they want often means engaging in criminal behaviour, wide spread petty thievery, cruelty to animals, violence, gender discrimination, turning green spaces into toxic environmental waste lands, homophobia, lack of education, living off social welfare, much higher levels of suicide, mental illness, depression, domestic violence & not engaging in types of employment that contributes taxes to government coffers. The very same coffers that pays their social welfare, pays for them to get stitched up in the A&E, pays for their halting sites and gives them free houses if they want them.

I am all for people maintaining their traditional values as long as they contribute something to society as a whole, not detract from it, and certainly not if the tax payer has to pay for it. I have neighbours who are Ethiopian. I was invited to celebrate Easter with them by participating in a traditional Ethiopian coffee ceremony. It was great crack. I could do without the smells of the highly spiced food that they cook wafting into our shared apt building corridor, but over all they are great neighbours. Me and the rest of my neighbours get on great with them, even though our life styles and values would not be 100% identical. We are not close minded people.

If people of differing cultures can not live together in harmony then serious questions need to be asked about WHY that is, behaviour patterns analysed and solutions decided upon. Making vague, wishy washy "each to his own" statements don't get anyone any where.
    I don't think we can generalise all the Travelling community like that. I think it is important they are respected enough to carry on and live the way they have for generations. And to allow them the traditional values they have grown up with.

Many people seem to be anti Travellers but I think it is important they are embraced as part of the culture on the Island. You might disagree, that is fine. I respect the right for you to have a different opinion.
    By causing hassle for everyone else. You really are only a WUM.
    I think this is unfair. They don't cause a lot of hassle. I think that is basic cherry picking. This distinct people have fought down the generations to preserve the cultural and traditional values from the establishment and the people who follow the establishment on how to live in society.

I think it is important we respect the right for them to live the way they want. Of course you might have some who cause some hassle for others but I think it is important they are allowed to express themselves within the culture they have.
    What do you base this upon. You have heard of country folk,one a few hundred yards from my house, having to open fire on the swine to get them to stop terrorising them?
    A common theme you hear and see is many people from large industrial cities have a go at people who are distinct from them who like to live a simple and traditional life with different values from the rest of society.

A common theme you hear and see is many people from large industrial cities have a go at people who are distinct from them who like to live a simple and traditional life with different values from the rest of society.

not on this thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I think it is important we respect the right for them to live the way they want. Of course you might have some who cause some hassle for others but I think it is important they are allowed to express themselves within the culture they have.

I think they should live the way they want too as long as it's within the law and not causing hassle to their neighbours. It's travellers themselves who keep going on about discrimination but fail to see they themselves are just as guilty of it.
    I agree some of them never cause any hassle but like all groups in society there will be some who cause trouble. Travellers today are not like they were twenty years ago,you never see them going round to houses now looking for food/clothes or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Unavailable for Comment

I don't think we can generalise all the Travelling community like that. I think it is important they are respected enough to carry on and live the way they have for generations. And to allow them the traditional values they have grown up with.

Just because something has occurred for a long time does not mean it automatically should be respected or allowed to continue. You claim we should allow travellers to "carry on and live the way they have for generations". So by that logic we should allow traveller men to continue to meet their goals of dying at a rate of four times the settled community's or help their women to expire a decade earlier than settled women or their infants to die at a rate of three times that of settled society. How positively Malthusian you are.
    Many people seem to be anti Travellers but I think it is important they are embraced as part of the culture on the Island. You might disagree, that is fine. I respect the right for you to have a different opinion.

I have no respect for your opinion. It's dangerously biddable and laissez faire. Your standoffishness results in the broken society Travellers now enjoy.
    I think this is unfair. They don't cause a lot of hassle. I think that is basic cherry picking. This distinct people have fought down the generations to preserve the cultural and traditional values from the establishment and the people who follow the establishment on how to live in society.

Until recently Travellers lived in similar poverty to the vast majority of settled people of this island. However this has now changed as better healthcare, a welfare state and better education have provided the majority of settled people with far more opportunities to better themselves. It is only their blind adherence to outdated traditions and truly dreadful cultural norms that have kept travellers in the pit they languish in today.

I would not respect the right of a violent, patriarchal culture to express what's best for the weakest of its citizens. It is obviously in a traveller's own interests to embrace the opportunities a settled life will give them. As it stands exactly how much of their culture do they maintain beyond wilfully and obstinately ignoring the settled society's obvious superiority.

At the moment there are many travellers out of work with no future beyond an early unnecessary death. Surely it is in their own interests that if they wish to suckle at the welfare state's teat they should be obliged to conform to it.

Nonsense.

Just because something has occurred for a long time does not mean it automatically should be respected or allowed to continue. You claim we should allow travellers to "carry on and live the way they have for generations". So by that logic we should allow traveller men to continue to meet their goals of dying at a rate of four times the settled community's or help their women to expire a decade earlier than settled women or their infants to die at a rate of three times that of settled society. How positively Malthusian you are.
    So what though? If they want to live like that, let them. It really isn't up to you to dictate to them on how they want to live a simple life with traditional values they set themselves.
    I have no respect for your opinion. It's dangerously biddable and laissez faire. Your standoffishness results in the broken society Travellers now enjoy.
    Don't reply to my posts then. I don't see what that sentence adds to the debate.
    Until recently Travellers lived in similar poverty to the vast majority of settled people of this island. However this has now changed as better healthcare, a welfare state and better education have provided the majority of settled people with far more opportunities to better themselves. It is only their blind adherence to outdated traditions and truly dreadful cultural norms that have kept travellers in the pit they languish in today.
    And again, what is your point? I say allow them to live how they want. If they want to live the simple life and not get involved in the established way of living for most of society, then I see no harm in that. They don't have to bow down and live like the rest of society. You might find it odd, they don't.
    I would not respect the right of a violent, patriarchal culture to express what's best for the weakest of its citizens. It is obviously in a traveller's own interests to embrace the opportunities a settled life will give them. As it stands exactly how much of their culture do they maintain beyond wilfully and obstinately ignoring the settled society's obvious superiority.

At the moment there are many travellers out of work with no future beyond an early unnecessary death. Surely it is in their own interests that if they wish to suckle at the welfare state's teat they should be obliged to conform to it.
    They can live that life style if they want. It really is irrelevant if they live a short life. I don't want to dictate to them on how to live and conduct themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

They have no interest in working. It's their culture to live of the land,so to speak. There are very few poor travellers today.

• Advertisement

I say allow them to live how they want. If they want to live the simple life and not get involved in the established way of living for most of society, then I see no harm in that. They don't have to bow down and live like the rest of society. You might find it odd, they don't.

They can live that life style if they want. It really is irrelevant if they live a short life. I don't want to dictate to them on how to live and conduct themselves.

if "allowing them to live how they want" as you put it allows them to engage in criminality against the settled community and looking to the settled society, (which the vast majority of travelers do not contribute to) to support them via giving them free halting sites and housing, do you still support it? or can you at least see why many people in the country don't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

They have no interest in working. It's their culture to live of the land,so to speak. There are very few poor travellers today.

I have to agree here. How many people on here have ever worked with a traveller or met a traveller through custom in a shop/pub/cinema/office/bank etc.? But yet there seem to be very few travellers short of a few bob for their brand new cars. They also seem to have a lot of free time on their hands to go around making a nuisance of themselves (as a vast number of posts on this thread can attest to). Also, and this may be way off the mark, but surely they have tonnes of disposal cash if they are able to afford brand new vehicles because I doubt there are very many financial institutions willing to lend to people without a fixed address, which begs the question where are they getting all this cash from "living off the land"?

My boyfriend and his business partner have been plagued by travellers since they opened up but neither of them (nor I) have any issue with admitting that there are a small portion of travellers who are decent people, who "live off the land" and thus, tend to deal in horses and other such ventures, and don't make a nuisance of themselves and choose to live like civilised people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

I have to agree here. How many people on here have ever worked with a traveller or met a traveller through custom in a shop/pub/cinema/office/bank etc.? But yet there seem to be very few travellers short of a few bob for their brand new cars. They also seem to have a lot of free time on their hands to go around making a nuisance of themselves (as a vast number of posts on this thread can attest to). Also, and this may be way off the mark, but surely they have tonnes of disposal cash if they are able to afford brand new vehicles because I doubt there are very many financial institutions willing to lend to people without a fixed address, which begs the question where are they getting all this cash from "living off the land"?

My boyfriend and his business partner have been plagued by travellers since they opened up but neither of them (nor I) have any issue with admitting that there are a small portion of travellers who are decent people, who "live off the land" and thus, tend to deal in horses and other such ventures, and don't make a nuisance of themselves and choose to live like civilised people.

And contribute to the tax system etc.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭shangri la

Over 70% of traveller males (2006 survey when jobs were plentiful) are on the dole.

That is not an acceptable lifestyle choice!

If by "live off the land" you mean "live off the proceeds of crime and the black economy" and "demand money and facilities from the taxpayer while offering nothing in return", then yes, they live off the land.

Keith, people are objecting to high levels of crime and anti-social behaviour, not a way of life that's different, which is fine once nobody else, including their own (especially children) is impinged upon - you can clearly see where people here are coming from. Are you that anxious for attention?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Keith, people are objecting to high levels of crime and anti-social behaviour, not a way of life that's different, which is fine once nobody else, including their own (especially children) is impinged upon - you can clearly see where people here are coming from. Are you that anxious for attention?
    Keith taking a stand for a culture which any rational civilised human being would find repulsive? Never I say. Ah no Keith I kid because I love, fair play for taking an open minded stand. You are in this case at least partially right.

Today I watched two members of the travelling community chase a lovely pomeranian dog around the green area in my estate, in their white van. Not all the cajoling and promises on earth would make that dog get into the van or come near them, and this from a breed notable for its friendliness. Eventually the owner showed up and bawled them out of it, and that was that.

The government has been embarking on a decades and probably centuries long programme to discourage behaviour such as this, and I have to say from my experience they have been gradually successful. By getting travellers settled, helping them to understand why people have a problem with them, and generally applying the carrot and the stick in equal measures, ultimately the antisocial behaviour will be resolved. Patience and a quick hand with calling the guards is all that's need from everyone else. A man or woman can grow beyond what they were born into.

So, eh, boo Sligo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

So what though? If they want to live like that, let them. It really isn't up to you to dictate to them on how they want to live a simple life with traditional values they set themselves.

But that is the thing. They ARE no longer living a simple life with traditional values that they set themselves. Once upon a time they did. Not any more. A generation ago, they roamed from town to town in their cute painted wagons that sent the tourists into raptures. They settled on a piece of land with the agreement of a farmer. They supported them selves by trading animals, doing odd jobs and repairs for townsfolk that others were not skilled in doing etc etc. Then they went onto the next town. They were a largely self sustained community, and they and the settled communities got on for the most part. To someone on the outside looking in, no doubt it all seemed rather romantic and pure. A life style to be encouraged and championed by wearing rose coloured glasses who have NO first hand experience of them, and who have NO idea how things have changed over the years.

Now, it is bare knuckle blood baths put up on You Tube, rates of alcoholism and suicide that far out weigh those of the settled community, rampant violence, family feuds, and living on the dole with no ability or willingness to provide for themselves. What is traditional or simple about that? You can accuse people here of making generalizations, but go talk to any Guard, social worker or teacher or community worker working in the field, and they will have the hard facts and statistics at hand to back this all up.

I bet the grandparents of the current generation of travelers - the folks who DID live a simple and traditional life style - are turning in their graves at what the current generation of the culture has turned into. There is nothing simple or traditional about it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

I don't think we can generalise all the Travelling community like that. I think it is important they are respected enough to carry on and live the way they have for generations. And to allow them the traditional values they have grown up with. .................................

In much the same way as the Scottish planters respected the wishes of the indigenous population up your way!

If I remember rightly you also supported the old S Africa regime and the Israeli settlers.

I must say you seem a decent enough cove ........... apart from being disturbed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I grew up very close to a traveller site. Having made that statement this was 30 years ago ish. I went to school with a lot of traveller girls, one of which I walked to school with most mornings. Very nice girl and she was very close to her mother(father dead). The mother died a couple of years ago and I found myself thinking about the daughter, how she would cope etc.
    Having said all of the above, over the years saw and heard some horrendous things from the site over the years.

I met an American girl who was working in a human rights organisation for minorities at a function recently, and tbh nothing stinks more than having someone from a background where their people attempted mass genocide against the indigenous population of their country, kept slaves for generations and continue to discriminate heavily against those of Latino background come HERE to tell us that we're terrible people for what is happening to the travelling community.

The settled community's relationship with travellers is far from perfect, but tbh it's quite difficult for me personally to have any great love for them when there is a site near my neighbourhood with people who are found time and time again to be the source of a great deal of burglaries in my area, not to mention the weekly begging (or basically harassment, calling early on a Saturday morning and banging on the windows and doors til somone answers) with a 10 year old child strapped into a buggy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

From my own experience on the road my Mother-in-Law lives their are

9 Traveller families living their.

Her new neighbours were kicked out of their last house for anti-social behaviour...re-housed by the Health Board, yet again.

Traveller family either side of her.

This estate in Dublin, is now what i would class as a ghetto.

There is dumped rubbish, over flowing wheelie bins and damaged and boarded up houses.

Another of theses Traveller families drive 12 reg cars... they don't have jobs.

Spent most days speeding up and down the road.

The other day a bare chested traveller man was walking down the street screaming at he's wife/girlfriend while waving a sword.

Gardai arrived and went into the house, chatted to the man and left....

Thats it... you try it...But maybe thats "their Culture". Always drama, shouting and roaring...

Honestly their not worth living beside. I used to think live and let live...

but it doesn't work, they don't intergrate or try and get on with their neighbours.

But it wasn't always that way

The Mammy was telling me and indeed if your parents were from a farm they'd probably tell you the same

The travellers were dirt poor, I mean real poverty and not what some think is poverty.

They usually had good relationships with farmers.

The man would have skills and could fix all buckets and pretty much anything metal :cool:.
    Go around the place looking for work and sure people needed things fixed so you hire the tinker who was superb at it

And the women travellers would ask the farmers wife for help, everyone was maam and sir. So they'd get food, milk, eggs, whatever

It's different now and many of them are richer then farmers.

And even Nally said it on RTÉ, it was different a generation ago but they now get welfare and the relationship with locals has changed

It's good people aren't dirt poor but they don't give a damn about locals or the farmers anymore, they don't need work and they don't need a good relationship.
    Farmers and their tools are there to be stolen , not there to ask for work now

All well, just my two cent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

I cant blame these people. I dont want them near my town, nevermind my estate. I realise they are not all bad but the ones who are...its just not worth taking the chance. The dog thieves, the street fights, the burglars, muggings etc. And thats not a stereotype, thats fact.
    The popular defence seems to be thats its not only travellers who do these things but does that mean people trust priests with kids now because not all priests abuse kids? Or we should allow North Korea to go all nuclear on our asses because they arent all 5 foot tall dictators?
    Fact is, its the bad apples who show their whole people in a bad light. Thats not joe soaps fault and it shouldnt be up to him/her to take the chance. I dunno where you put them, on an island maybe. Let them fight amongst themselves.

They've practically ruined any estates where they've been given houses. On Paddys day in Portlaoise their was a massive street fight ending in many casualties. Now it wasnt all travellers but it was mostly travellers and people who seem to want to be in the same genus of scum. Travelista's I call them. They were in court today over the whole affair and what happened?? Street fight outside the courthouse.

These people (not all travellers or indeed only travellers) should be put down inhumanely. Dogs should have more rights as far as Im concerned.

**Vai** wrote: »
    I cant blame these people. I dont want them near my town, nevermind my estate. I realise they are not all bad but the ones who are...its just not worth taking the chance. The dog thieves, the street fights, the burglars, muggings etc. And thats not a stereotype, thats fact.
    The popular defence seems to be thats its not only travellers who do these things but does that mean people trust priests with kids now because not all priests abuse kids? Or we should allow North Korea to go all nuclear on our asses because they arent all 5 foot tall dictators?
    Fact is, its the bad apples who show their whole people in a bad light. Thats not joe soaps fault and it shouldnt be up to him/her to take the chance. I dunno where you put them, on an island maybe. Let them fight amongst themselves.

They've practically ruined any estates where they've been given houses. On Paddys day in Portlaoise their was a massive street fight ending in many casualties. Now it wasnt all travellers but it was mostly travellers and people who seem to want to be in the same genus of scum. Travelista's I call them. They were in court today over the whole affair and what happened?? Street fight outside the courthouse.

These people (not all travellers or indeed only travellers) should be put down inhumanely. Dogs should have more rights as far as Im concerned.

Was going to thank that until the last lines. Way harsh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

I'm still laughing at what you - of all people - posted (I've bolded your comments).

Freddie59 wrote: »
    I'm still laughing at what you - of all people - posted (I've bolded your comments).
    Sorry, what is wrong?

I give my opinion on this distinct people and want them to live the way they want. I don't see why referencing my Unionism has got to do with this thread. It is very old and boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

I passed connaugton road "car park" at 5pm today and the travellers had a bon fire burning! People who work in the town pay to park their cars there and these lunatics have a bon fire blazing away a few feet away. Where are the inspectors from the council?useless, they will do nothing...two fingers to the taxpayer from both the travellers and the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Sorry, what is wrong?

I give my opinion on this distinct people and want them to live the way they want. I don't see why referencing my Unionism has got to do with this thread. It is very old and boring.

Your only unionist in the village act is boring.

Spread wrote: »
    In much the same way as the Scottish planters respected the wishes of the indigenous population up your way!

If I remember rightly you also supported the old S Africa regime and the Israeli settlers.

I must say you seem a decent enough cove ........... apart from being disturbed.
    I won't take lessons from some one who lives in New Hampshire in the heart of the US Empire. Perhaps when you give the South back to the Southern people, then I will listen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement