Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homemade DogFood

• 07-04-2012 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭

Hi

After watching a few videos on Youtube ive decided to give homemade dogfood a go but im not sure what meat is cheap in Ireland.

Does anyone get cheap meats from the butchers like hearts maybe? Any ideas what meats would be cheap and suit as good cheap dogfood?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Do you mean home cooked food or Raw?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Either really. Would be easier raw probably but wouldnt mind the idea of cooking a weeks worth every week.

Aldi have veg at 18cent now so maybe a mix of some kind of meat and veg with cereals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I have looked into home-cooking but an awful lot of research is needed to make sure what you are feeding is nutritionally balanced. I would also have to freeze it on a weekly basis and different foods are impacted differently by freezing so I came to the conclusion that it's a lot of hassle.

There have been quite a few threads here on raw feeding before, but basicly 70% meat with bones included, 10% offal and 20% puréed veg for raw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Cheers for the info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I`ve been feeding my guy raw/barf the last few months. What I would suggest is to first plan out how much meat you need and what meat you want to feed - eg starting out some people say it`s best to stick to one meat like chicken for a week or two while you dog gets used to the new diet.. Once you`ve decided what you want and how much shop around local butchers, meat factory shops, reduced section in tecos etc and see where you can get the best deal. I feed mainly chicken legs and veg - my butcher does 5 legs for 2.99 or sometimes they`re on offer -2packs for a fiver so I spend 15-18 a month on chicken legs and then the veg - carrots, apples, green beans and potato. Some people say you don`t need carbs or veg but he likes them so I put them in :) This butcher never has bones (yeah right) so I get proper big bones every few weeks for him when I order stuff for us from an online butcher - I ask for bones in the comments box on the order and they put some in :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement