Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rats!!!

• 07-04-2012 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

A friend of mine discovered that he has rats in his house recently,
    apparently its very serious and he needs to find the source and get rid of them, he said he has to rip up floorboards and other stuff to find the source,

Is this true, surely there can be a more effective and less destructive way of getting rid of them.

Does anyone have any good advice please, thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

A cat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

1. Did your friend get an extension recently?
    2.Is he in the countryside or housing estate?
    3.Any holes outside the house,even the smallest cracks, they will get in.
    4.If in a housing estate, is the house next door unoccupied/rented?
    5.Does he leave the back door open.
    6.If its a terraced/semi D house, check the attic for droppings.

He is sure its rats? You will tell the difference between rats and mice because the droppings for rats are like raisins. Mice are very small like grain rice.

Only use poison as a very very last resort.....Its unreal the smell once they die under a floor board and you can't get to them. Get wooden traps and get your friend to take up sections of floorboard to lay traps. Rats need access to water so they have to leave house to get to it plus forage. So once the entry point is blocked, start laying traps.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Mr.Triffid

mad m wrote: »
    1. Did your friend get an extension recently?
    2.Is he in the countryside or housing estate?
    3.Any holes outside the house,even the smallest cracks, they will get in.
    4.If in a housing estate, is the house next door unoccupied/rented?
    5.Does he leave the back door open.
    6.If its a terraced/semi D house, check the attic for droppings.

He is sure its rats? You will tell the difference between rats and mice because the droppings for rats are like raisins. Mice are very small like grain rice.

Only use poison as a very very last resort.....Its unreal the smell once they die under a floor board and you can't get to them. Get wooden traps and get your friend to take up sections of floorboard to lay traps. Rats need access to water so they have to leave house to get to it plus forage. So once the entry point is blocked, start laying traps.

No extension,
    there are one or two holes he mentioned,
    he caught 4 rats since wednesday.
    They are rats alright, large droppings.
    The houses next door are occupied.
    Hes gotten an exterminator in to lay traps and poision.

I'll tell him to take up some floorboards and lay traps.
    thanks,

Oh yeah he wants to know which are the worst the black rats or the brown rats?

Any rat is worse in my opinion, try and get him to take up a part of a floorboard at back of a sofa or somewhere hidden as not to wreck the appearance of floors. Oh try and put a screw in trap attached to a piece of twine and screw it into somewhere. Nothing worse than trap being dragged off somewhere. I had one in trap and they ate the whole rat off the trap, all the was left was the head. If I hadn't of tied it off god knows where it would of ended up.

Please keep to the traps, as I said if one is poisoned and dies in an inaccessible area the smell is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Model Mechanix

charlemont wrote: »
    A cat.

Lol, love it ;)

• Advertisement

brahma wrote: »
    how about some live catch traps? They should do the job.
    http://www.lkpoultry.ie/products/Live-Catch-Rat-Trap.html

Yeah would be good, but try putting that under a floor, plus what do you do with the rat/s in the trap....Snap traps are the best, set,snap,dead,bin. Actually just put rat in bin as I did and caught a few more with same one :).

Advertisement