Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Battery life on iphone

• 07-04-2012 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭

Ive heard is shocking , is it true or just a case of two many aps wearing down the battery?
    Was thinking of getting one cause my battery on my current phone doesnt seem to last too long either.
    Ive only noticed in the last few days Ive had to charge it every second day, whereas before I get at least 3 or 4 days

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭mackmuffin

how do i move a thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

mackmuffin wrote: »
    how do i move a thread?

Ask a mod.

Moved from mobiles

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭askU

thats ok for a smartphone. i have a sony eric. and battery only lasts 36hrs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭Sarn

I have an iPhone 4, the longest time on standby I've reached from a full charge was 9 days, 8 hours. That was with minimal usage, mostly music and a few text messages (12 hours worth).

I am a light user, on average I'd get about 5-6 days out of the battery. Ultimately it comes down to how heavy a user you are. I know that there have been glitches with some of the phones that have resulted in increased battery drain (I experienced it myself, in my case it was an iOS issue).

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 252 ✭✭viclemronny

Realistically, with any modern smart phone the safe bet is to assume that you have to charge it each night for the next day.

If you're a light user, you may find that you need to charge less than this but don't make the assumption that you'll get more than a days heavy use out of the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I charge every night. I'd get a couple of days on standby, but that's not much use in reality.

My phone will use battery very fast when active. GPS/Maps will kill it in about an hour or two and Apple now officially say it should be connected to an external source for this type of usage.

The newer iPhone 4 and above are a little better battery wise but with moderate to light usage it's still only a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭mackmuffin

thanks guys, it was what I was thinking alright, now to decide which network:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

I find that a slow charge will make the battery last longer ie. use the usb port on your computer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Sarn wrote: »
    I have an iPhone 4, the longest time on standby I've reached from a full charge was 9 days, 8 hours. That was with minimal usage, mostly music and a few text messages (12 hours worth).

I am a light user, on average I'd get about 5-6 days out of the battery. Ultimately it comes down to how heavy a user you are. I know that there have been glitches with some of the phones that have resulted in increased battery drain (I experienced it myself, in my case it was an iOS issue).

I would contact Guinness that has to be a world record for an iPhone battery. I'm lucky to get 24hours out of my 4s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

luzon wrote: »
    I would contact Guinness that has to be a world record for an iPhone battery. I'm lucky to get 24hours out of my 4s.

I have a 4S. With minimum usage (texts, some youtube, etc) you might get 36 hours. I usually charge it every night. having said that I had a Nokia 5800 before this and it was similar in terms of battery. And the iPhone can do way more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Best bet is to charge it every night. That's what I do and my battery lasts until the next night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I do not believe that anyone got 9 days out of an iPhone.

I have the 4s and can get a maximum of 2 days with light use.

Either way, Smartphones do more so need more juice so it's just something you'll have to have to adapt to and get used to charging more than older phones, have chargers in work etc, and it's not a problem.

The benefits of a smartphone far outweigh the con of more charging.

murpho999 wrote: »

I think if one turned off all the services including 3G and didn't even look at it ... :)

gbee wrote: »
    I think if one turned off all the services including 3G and didn't even look at it ... :)

Yes....or had it just switched off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭Sarn

murpho999 wrote: »

Amazingly it is possible, but that was with very little screen usage and 3G off, which would essentially mean that it was being used as a dumbphone for that period. This topic has come up before and I've posted screenshots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I'm on wifi 95% of the time so I switched off data and 3G, and I almost tripled my battery life. 3G surfing uses 10-15% of battery per hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I know Sarn in real life; he's not a bull****ter.

Sarn wrote: »
    Amazingly it is possible, but that was with very little screen usage and 3G off, which would essentially mean that it was being used as a dumbphone for that period. This topic has come up before and I've posted screenshots.

Fair enough,but not much point in having an iPhone and not using it is there?:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,330 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It's crap, i've had a 4 & 4s and got rid of both of them. Can't even get until 6'0 clock in the evening with one. Utter rubbish if your a talker. There's a few droids that give way better talk time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

It's crap, i've had a 4 & 4s and got rid of both of them. Can't even get until 6'0 clock in the evening with one. Utter rubbish if your a talker. There's a few droids that give way better talk time.

My 4S lasts a full 24 hours and I would use it heavily.

I've also bought one of those portable battery things should I ever run out unexpectedly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

does having more apps on it mean it uses more battery power?

Bob Z wrote: »
    does having more apps on it mean it uses more battery power?

Depends on the app, it's something to watch, an app *should* sleep but not all do and rapid battery drain is an immediate running app suspect, when I find these, I tend to delete them as there are other apps similar that won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

I only own an Ipod Touch 16GB. Lasts roughly a day on a full charge and is charged every night from a USB port on the computer. The battery warning is a pain though - when it gets to 20% of battery life left a popup saying ''Warning: 20% of battery remaining'' repeatedly comes up. Around 4-5 come up within a few mins of each other. It's extremely irritating that it can't be disabled - It pauses videos, music, and worst of all: games. It's also an irrelevant warning - there's a picture of the battery on the top right hand corner of the screen. Does the same thing happen on the Iphone?

GaryIrv93 wrote: »
    Does the same thing happen on the Iphone?

Last time I went into the red, a warning popped up but with the option to ignore. I've the iP4 for 16 months never in the red with that, so they might have changed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

gbee wrote: »
    Last time I went into the red, a warning popped up but with the option to ignore. I've the iP4 for 16 months never in the red with that, so they might have changed it.

That's good news. With the Itouch it can't be disabled - I've heard jailbreaking it might fix the problem although it seems a bit doubtful,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

They are still there on iPhone. If you jailbreak you can install popup blocker but I don't know if it affects notifications in ios5

Advertisement