Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

travel with guns

Options
  • 07-04-2012 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

how can i travle to states with a gun, to shoot coyotes, as i said in another post i have an uncle who lives in ny but owns a farm in canada just over the border
    any ideas on how i could make a hunting trip over there with my own gun, im new on boards so have a lot of questions that have been floating around in my head for years but no1 to answer them,:D:D:D
    btw my spelling brutal,lol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Sir - you are, I'm afraid, in for a pretty rough ride trying to take any firearm into Canada from the USA without being resident in the USA.

Read the relevant details on the RCMP site about taking firearms into Canada and you'll pretty soon find out that it will be as near impossible as it can be for a non-resident person coming over from the USA side of the border.

On the other hand, using one under supervision while in Canada is not a problem, providing the owner of the firearm is actually with you at all times [RCMP gun laws apply].

Canada is NOT the USA - ownership of firearms there is not a right under the Constitution, and ownership has to be supported by successfully completing various handling and other courses on game shooting safety and conservation that are merely nice-to-do's/advisory in the US, but compulsory in Canada.

IMO you'd be best using one that belongs to your uncle while in Canada, and forgetting about taking your own gun to the USA.

tac

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I am by no means well versed in Canadian gun laws, and will cede to tac foley's experience here. However there was a thread a while back about the Canadian gun laws for long firearms being changed, and while not relevant to your travels i took the opportunity to read up on Canadian laws, and was surprised at how much they resemble our own far moreso than the US.

I think you would be better served traveling yourself, and trying to use a firearm already in country. How that works, again, i'll leave to those that know better.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Whinemeal, I've been making moves on a Canadian website I frequent, in the hope of getting some hard information for you.

EDIT - the best advice I've been given from my buddies over there is to contact the Chief Firearms Officer of the Province in which you intend to be a shooting guest. MY best advice is to do just that, and to carry out everything they advise you to do.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 38 spudy1991

thanks lads, i get right on that

Advertisement