Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power cut in Dublin 15

Options
  • 07-04-2012 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭

In Ongar.. loads of alarms going off now.
    So who else is in the dark.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

We are, Castaheany, very unnerving, black out as far as I can see in any direction. Can anyone tell where the boundary of the area affected is?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pavelpro

Phibblestown too...

ESB emergency line has an auto message timed at 11.47pm stating they are aware of a major fault centred in Clonsilla Dublin 15 but have no estimated time for restoration.

Keep alert folks, a few bad b*st*rds will want to take advantage of this

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭eimsRV

In Phibblestown too. Lots of alarms going off. Bit nervous about going to bed without setting the alarm but not much else to do :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

Larbre34 wrote: »
    ESB emergency line has an auto message timed at 11.47pm stating they are aware of a major fault centred in Clonsilla Dublin 15 but have no estimated time for restoration.

Keep alert folks, a few bad b*st*rds will want to take advantage of this[/Quote

Beechfield out..must be a bad one,here 9 yes and don't remember a power cut to be ho est..especially on a sat night..

• Advertisement

Obviously mains internet is gone. Whats carrying the mobile and data network???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Fine in Latchford.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭eimsRV

The house alarms have gone quiet for now here. When there is a power outage like this what powers the alarm signal? I'm guessing there is a small battery are something that only lasts for a few mins

I feel a bit like the ground controller in the epilogue to War of the Worlds. Come in Allendale, can you hear me Hazlebury?? Its too quiet, even the house alarms have wasted their batteries. Crap, Id better save my mobile before I get c......................................

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Anyone know what caused it?

Also, any damage or robberies? I'm knackered awake here keeping watch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I was watching Match of the Day when the power went. Strolled out for a walk about 5 mins into the blackout. Eerie as hell. Just alarms and a blanket of darkness. Was like a Zombie movie*.

I swung down by Kelly's pub expecting mad scenes but was quiet enough. A good few people were at their doors or walking around Ongar with flashlights.

From what I saw it effected Ongar, Barnwell, Delhurst/Hayworth and that estate where the buses used to start and finish. How far out did it reach?

There's still an alarm bleating where I am, hence the typing, up for work in 4 hours grrrr!!!

*I did not see any Zombies.

Anyone notice what time the power came back?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

eimsRV wrote: »
    The house alarms have gone quiet for now here. When there is a power outage like this what powers the alarm signal? I'm guessing there is a small battery are something that only lasts for a few mins
    There is a battery inside the alarm control panel and another (smaller one ) inside the external wall mounted siren which will power the system in the event of a power out. The external bell will sound for a predetermined time and then switch off. The internal sound bomb will continue. You can disable them by entering the keypad code. Unfortunately, These batteries have a useable lifespan and a lot are defunct. As power outs are rare, they normally go unnoticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Anyone notice what time the power came back?

Was pretty late. As far as I can work out it was about 02:45.

LD

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

dodzy wrote: »
    There is a battery inside the alarm control panel and another (smaller one ) inside the external wall mounted siren which will power the system in the event of a power out. The external bell will sound for a predetermined time and then switch off. The internal sound bomb will nip ally continue. You can disable them by entering the keypad code. Unfortunately, These batteries have a useable lifespan and a lot are defunct. As power outs are rare, they normally go unnoticed.

But the keypad is powered by the mains so not working. Electricity came back three or four times but nowhere near full volume but it set off the alarm at place every time, with no way (that I knew of) to turn it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

lucky me...my whole home is on an APC 3kw unit !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭altor

eimsRV wrote: »

If the back up battery is dead then the control panel will go dead when the mains is off. The whole idea of the back up battery is to keep your system going in the event of a power failure. If when the mains goes off and the external bell rings you should replace the back up battery in the control panel to prevent this from happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

altor wrote: »
    If the back up battery is dead then the control panel will go dead when the mains is off. The whole idea of the back up battery is to keep your system going in the event of a power failure. If when the mains goes off and the external bell rings you should replace the back up battery in the control panel to prevent this from happening.

It may be that he 'll need some special codes(engineer code) to set the system,as that will more than likely will trigger a "big" alarm when the main side panel is removed...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭altor

rolion wrote: »
    It may be that he 'll need some special codes(engineer code) to set the system,as that will more than likely will trigger a "big" alarm when the main side panel is removed...

Entering the user code on the keypad turns off the alarm system in the event of a tamper. The one thing I would say is if you are going to do this yourself make sure you turn off the mains power as there is live mains supplied to all control panels.

Advertisement