Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Bank Account

Options
  • 08-04-2012 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

Hi,

Figured this was the place to put this since it seems to be an NUIG problem.

I tried to open a new Student A/C with the Ulster Bank the other day. They said You need a student card with current year of study which, of course, ours no longer have. And an official letter confirming student status.

Has anyone opened an account recently and if so what documentation did you use?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

You need what you mentioned. Simple. It's one or the other btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Ficheall

His point is that the new NUIG student IDs don't have the current year of study, or, indeed, any year on them.
    The letter should be easy to obtain though - just drop into the Admissions office in Áras Uí Chathail.

An poínte a bhfuil aige ná nach bhfuil bliain reatha staidire ar na cártaí nua, nó fiú bliain ar bith...
    Ba cheart go mbeadh sé éasca an litir a fháil, áfach - téigh istead chuig an oifig Iontrála in Áras Uí Chathail.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

Im not in NUIG but When I opened a student ac with BOI they asked for a letter from my college that was dated 2011:2012 to confirm I was registered that year as well as a Student card. If you show them the registration receipt/ letter from the school with this years date would they take that?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I had the sample problem with Ulster Bank, but with a UCD Student card (no indication of years of study), and had to get a Certificate of Attendance from the student desk to say that I was currently enrolled into a degree program, then show this to the bank along with my student card!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

There is no current benefit to having a student account with Ulster Bank bar for an interest free overdraft of up to €750 which you really should be avoiding anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IsThisIt???

Thanks for the replies
    There is no current benefit to having a student account with Ulster Bank bar for an interest free overdraft of up to €750 which you really should be avoiding anyway!

Well if that is the case I'll leave things as they are. Are there not charges for online banking and the like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Online banking is free with every bank.

I would also assume day to day banking is free for a student account.

As mentioned UB comes with interest free overdraft of at least €450 but if your trying to avoid it then any banks student account will suffice. Most student accounts will come with an interest free overdraft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

:confused:

The overdraft facility is great, what's better than having interest free cash readily available when you need it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Reillyman wrote: »

:confused:

The overdraft facility is great, what's better than having interest free cash readily available when you need it?

Because you have to repay it. Failure to repay it effects your credit rating and it has to be repaid within a years completion of your course.

I guess I'm just careful with my money but people shouldn't need to overdraw that much as a student! I'd hate to fall into that trap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

Because you have to repay it. Failure to repay it effects your credit rating and it has to be repaid within a years completion of your course.

I guess I'm just careful with my money but people shouldn't need to overdraw that much as a student! I'd hate to fall into that trap.

In an ideal world people shouldn't need to but I guess that's life, sometimes the oul cashflow mightn't be great so I find it really handy to have the OD option.

• Advertisement
Advertisement