Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new gardener needs help

Options
  • 08-04-2012 2:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

just moved into a new house but my garden is like a jungle with weeds any sugestions about how or what to use to get rid of them cheaply.
    i was thinking of useing salt and putting down gravel but it seems to cost a lot so grass it will have to be so cant use salt

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

I would use the mechanical option, like what the linked article says.

Rotavating will help you remove any unwanted material that may be lurking under the topsoil eg rocks, building materials, plain old rubbish and will aid with mixing up some organic matter when you rotavate the 2nd time.

This method will also give you greater control over planning some beds or hard landscaping areas.

Give yourself a full weekend and start on Friday evening after work. You'll be surprised how much you can actually get done if you plan it out and put your mind to it. By Sunday evening a well earned pint will be the nicest pint you'll have ever tasted ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 cmxmph

thanks for the replys. looks like a weekend of planing my attack without actulaly doing any work and a few drinks so i dont dehydrate to quickly. i was hopeing for a easy magical way of just spraying something on it and watching the weeds die as i lift a can to their memory ah well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Use Roundup to kill the weeds, avoid the rotavatior until the weeds are dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

If you use rotovator on grass and weeds you won't get rid of this - it is impossible to remove everything. You will have it back in few weeks.

google micro digger hire dublin.

I got delivered Micro digger
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFZjrRPSo7s
    OFZjrRPSo7s

removed all grass and top soil, used some weed killer in corners, then hired rotovator, did lot of racking to level everything now waiting for delivery of top grass, and will seed new grass.

digger - 110
    rotovator 30
    new soil - 40e per cubic meter
    skip - 169
    seed - 15
    weed killer - 8

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Paulie Gualtieri

I agree with above , use round up , I always mix a little stronger than stated just to be sure, once weeds are gone its just effort and sheer thickness that will get it under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 cmxmph

thanks. it looks like round up is the man to use, but a spade and fork not machines will be used simply because of cost thanks again

Advertisement