Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FPL - The Clint Dempsey dilemma

• 08-04-2012 5:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭

Thought I'd start a thread on this as it looks like putting a cat amongst the pigeons of a lot of people's best laid plans.

Consensus thinking on Dempsey seemed to be dump him, or he's gone already. However, two good weeks by him has reminded everyone of his prowess and people are left with a huge dilemma.

My own situation is that I've been planning long term to dump him this week for Walcott, and I've gone and made the change, perhaps a little rashly.

The decision wasn't as clear cut as it seemed initially, because if Wigan can score against Chelsea, then the very potent Fulham attack at home can too.

I'm giving Walcott at least up to GW 34, then I may welcome Clint back into the fold for the DGW

My question is, what are you going to do with Clint for the rest of the season?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Regardless of who the player is should he not be kept if in great from like Dempsey?
    Though yesterday he was through the middle with the pog being absent so that may effect his poisition when he returns.
    Still he is as likely to get goals as Walcott,Bale etc so if i had him i would keep him tbh......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Such a tough decision, but think whether or not he will do better, in the long run, than the player you wish to replace him with. Here's what I'm thinking of yesterday. 1st goal: Scored due to the absence of Murphy, who would normally be taking free-kicks. 2nd goal: Score due to the absence of Pog. Clint wouldn't have been in that position when the ball was crossed in if he was playing out wide.

I could say this all day though, I'm really just trying to give myself a proper reason as to why he can be dropped. I do think VDV will outscore Dempsey in the coming weeks though, unless he's injured. So I'll be getting him in for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I say sell him straight away. Don't think about it just do it :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭cup of tea

FatRat wrote: »
    Such a tough decision, but think whether or not he will do better, in the long run, than the player you wish to replace him with. Here's what I'm thinking of yesterday. 1st goal: Scored due to the absence of Murphy, who would normally be taking free-kicks. 2nd goal: Score due to the absence of Pog. Clint wouldn't have been in that position when the ball was crossed in if he was playing out wide.

In fairness though he's been popping up in those positions all season, excluding the free kick. He should also have had a 3rd!. If he was playing wide you can't say he wouldn't have made chances from cutting inside like he usually does. Jol fears that Pog could have a metatarsal injury so could mean him playing up front til the rest of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

What annoys me about Fulham is what was mentioned above, he was only taking the free because Murphy wasn't there and only up front because Pog wasn't there

The guy should be on all their frees and starting every game up front for them

why hinder your best player to squeeze others in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

DazzlerIE wrote: »
    What annoys me about Fulham is what was mentioned above, he was only taking the free because Murphy wasn't there and only up front because Pog wasn't there

The guy should be on all their frees and starting every game up front for them

why hinder your best player to squeeze others in?

And taking penalties.

And going in goal for penalties.

I was going to get rid for a Spurs MF this week, but looking at his fixtures, he could score in their next two games. I'll hold him until the DGW, when he may go for a Spurs/Chelsea/Newc player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭Shane732

That bast*rd is screwing up my season!!!!!!!

Still think swapping him for Walcott for two weeks was a good move, goal withstanding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Morricone

Yeah, taking him out of the team last week is officialy my biggest mistake this season. He's a machine. I'm probably gonna get him back in for the double gameweek. It doesn't seem to matter to him at the moment, he's on fire!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Swapped him for VDV before the deadline yesterday, just another one in the long list of my mistakes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

DazzlerIE wrote: »
    Still think swapping him for Walcott for two weeks was a good move, goal withstanding

I agree, there are better prospects for the double GW than him. He has a tough few weeks ahead, although if he continues to be played as a striker I'll be forced to get him in.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Right after Dempsey scored his 2 goals last week, I sold him for Wallcott. I felt that Wallcott would outscore Dempsey in his 2 games (Wolves, Wigan) to Dempseys 1 (Chelsea).

I still think it will happen but still annoyed that the Dempsey goal will probably stand despite it clearly not being on target.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Reckon ill be getting Dempsey back in for Bale for the Double Gameweek! Bales been in awful form for the last while, and while i know as soon as i transfer him out he will score a hat-trick(as is always the case with my transfers) dempsey just looks more likely to score at the moment!

He seems to perform better when Pogrebnyak isnt playing too so hopefuly Pog can stay sidelined for a while longer!:pac:

Reckon ill be getting Dempsey back in for Bale for the Double Gameweek! Bales been in awful form for the last while, and while i know as soon as i transfer him out he will score a hat-trick(as is always the case with my transfers) dempsey just looks more likely to score at the moment!

He seems to perform better when Pogrebnyak isnt playing too so hopefuly Pog can stay sidelined for a while longer!:pac:

Bales form is nowhere near awful! Watch the games he's playing in. He hit the underside of the crossbar last night, horribly unlucky not to get a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

It's going to be very difficult, and possibly ridiculous, to not bring him in for the DGW now.

The only thing better than Clint Dempsey right now?

Two Clint Dempseys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,440 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

im glad I still have him. I'll likely keep him till the end of the season :)

Will be welcoming back Clint to RopeyFC for GW 35

Was thinking last night there's no point handing others potential differentials over me for the last few weeks

so I'm going to take it home conservatively for the last four GW's

My 60 point lead in my cash league should be gold at this stage

Would you take Clint over Bale? Its either/or for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

roryc wrote: »

Yes purely for the games either side of double week. He's captain material those weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

roryc wrote: »

Its happening for the DGW! Have held onto Bale long enough now with little in return lately! Dempsey is racking them up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

This is why I love my cheap defence. While people sweat over which expensive midfielder to have, I take the lot. :p

Can't speak for anyone else but the reason I'm choosing between Bale and Clint isn't financial

Advertisement