Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone here dye their hair during pregnancy?

Options
  • 08-04-2012 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Just looking for opinions on hair dye during pregnancy, Is it a myth that it can harm the baby?

Would you recommend the products from the health shops instead of the usual products in boots etc?

Or not dye it at all :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

I dyed my hair a few times.

Having spent i think 18euro on one in the health food store my hairdresser friend said its not dangerous to use normal shop baught ones.

I think to cover their own butts in hairdressers they recommend highlights only as they don't touch Ur scalp.

However its like everything in pregnancy... different advice out there for and against EVERYTHING!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

This came up before: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76121470

Think it's a lot of scaremongering to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Always dyed my hair blonde. Waited until 12 weeks and got it done telling hairdresser I was preggers. She said there is no proper eveidence of anything bad happening. Then a few weeks later I got he mads and went red... Big mistake, didn't suit me so have since changed to getting blonde highlights as they last longer so wont need to go to hairdresser as much when baby is born.
    I was worried at the start myself until my hairdresser put my mind at ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Belfastmedic

Cheers for that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TwoMums2Be

I waited until about 24weeks before finally giving in :D I asked my doctor & she said it was fine! I think they do recommend to wait until after your first trimester.
    I used shop bought as I didnt want to use anything I hadn't used before, my hairdresser said that permenant versus temp didn't make a difference in terms of potential risk so stuck to my usual colour :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I normally dye my hair with a henna-tea mix and while I know there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever for a dye made of 100% natural products causing problems in pregnancy, I still have it in my head that I should wait until I'm in the 2nd tri to dye it. It's not that I think dyeing could cause a problem but I'm worried that if I do dye and then have a problem I'll blame myself.

I look a bit of a state though, as I haven't done it since the end of November and my roots are about 3 inches long. (Actually the 'state' is probably mainly in my head, but all I can see are greys when I look in the mirror.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

I've had mine done twice since I got pregnant. I use the ammonia free stuff in Peter Mark, not too worried about any damaging effects. The amount of chemicals that potentially get into your system are miniscule and probably less than chemicals from skin creams, spray tans, processed foods (in my humble non-professional opinion)!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I asked one of the midwives about this and she said it was fine, just to check the box of dye to see if it says anything about not dying your hair when pregnant.

Anyway, I've continued dying my hair while pregnant. It's just my own personal opinion that it doesn't pose a risk, I'm no expert and I've not read any research, but I've not heard of any risks either.

Check with your GP or a consultant maybe?

Advertisement