Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you date someone with a disability?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I have done so in the past (she lost her left leg below the knee).

It depends on a lot of things really. It's impossible to give an absolute Yes/No answer. Let's just say that I'm open to the possibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

It would depend on the disability. I watched some of the show the other night - and the guy with Tourettes was very dateable. He was a really nice lad.
    I'd find the guy with Aspergers hard work - I am far too messy & disorganised for someone who needs that much of their life structured & consistent.

The attitude of the blond girl was horrid - her head was stuck in her ass, not a girl I would like to spend any time with never mind date (you know what I mean:p).

What about people with severe scarring? Would people have any problem with something that is pure aesthetics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

Giselle wrote: »
    Someone with a Cork accent? Absolutely not under any circumstances.*

*joke.:)

That means that I have two disabilities then! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

Depends on the disability and the person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Me and a few mates were drinking in a pub one afternoon . He has a bit of a problem with getting wasted and was on loads of e and everything . He was talking to a gang of people one of them in a wheelchair. During the silence between songs on the dukebox he was heard asking the girl in the wheelchair if she had feelings in her pussy . The funniest thing was the manner in which he said it , real seductive like . She was really embarrassed , not cool dude.
    He is a drunken nuissance but a legend . Hed of dated her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

Most people are going to think of someone who is physically attractive, smart, funny, rich, successful, great to be around, who has a limp....and say, 'Yes, I would!'

But mostly, no they wouldn't :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I'm dating an American. I think that counts. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Robdude wrote: »
    Most people are going to think of someone who is physically attractive, smart, funny, rich, successful, great to be around, who has a limp....and say, 'Yes, I would!'

How do you know? Your own take isn't necessarily everyone else's. That's called projecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Halloran springs

I just watched that show, the little blonde girl had a seriously bad attitude problem, I think she actually said at one point "I'd rather date someone without a disability" !! And yet expects people to take her seriously.

In contrast, her date was adorable and had a great attitude. It goes to show that personality and confidence play a large part in attraction. I personally would look past a disability if the disabled person themselves wasn't constantly hung up about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Robdude wrote: »

you're describing me to a tee, except you left out the bit about me being married to a ferociously hot girl who couldn't give a fiddlers that i walk like forrest gump because she's not an immature gobshíte! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I think i would although me being Bi-polar means most people would be wary dating me... Its a hard life loving you is what my girlfriend says.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭RainbowRose81

Very very very vague, did the op see the definition of disability.

The world health organisation defines disabilies.. "Disabilities is an umbrella term, covering impairments, activity limitations, and participation restrictions. An impairment is a problem in body function or structure; an activity limitation is a difficulty encountered by an individual in executing a task or action; while a participation restriction is a problem experienced by an individual in involvement in life situations. Thus disability is a complex phenomenon, reflecting an interaction between features of a person’s body and features of the society in which he or she lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

It depends. I like a woman to be able to carry me home from the pub on her back when we get pissed together so if she could pass that test then yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

In alot of ways, women are retarded and often mental, so I guess I already do.

I'm guessing you don't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

50% of the world's population dissed in one little sentence.

*shakes head*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Ive got A.D.D which is behavioral disability in terms of hard to live with, depends I'm need tidy clean, full moon means il be up all night and i can't sit still, My right knee bounces up and down when i concentrate .. I get very excited easily, Ive since discovered that self medicating marjauna can be help full a shame its illegal I think if it was aloud to use it for that reason I would probably be a lot more relaxed..
    But sure in terms of who i am it don't effect me that much i dunno...

but depends I would but... I'm sure it could be strained at times, but any one that does fair play to them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

I have CF as well, and for me it would depend.

I wouldn't date someone with CF due to cross-infection. But I'd probably go out with someone who was blind or deaf or something that didn't immobilise them.

And for everyone saying they would have no problem with it, I've gone out with girls who got really freaked out when they found out I have CF, even though they had no idea before I told them, others who felt they needed to care for me then, and one girl recently who seemed to think she had to compete with me for worse lungs by constantly moaning about problems caused by her smoking, even though I never bring up my condition unless I have to :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I got a mail from someone on a dating site i am signed up to. When i looked at her profile i saw she was a wheelchair user, ill be honest i didnt reply because i knew deep down that i wouldnt date a person with a disibility. I felt bad about not sending a reply but i just wouldnt have known what to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

cloptrop wrote: »
    Me and a few mates were drinking in a pub one afternoon . He has a bit of a problem with getting wasted and was on loads of e and everything . He was talking to a gang of people one of them in a wheelchair. During the silence between songs on the dukebox he was heard asking the girl in the wheelchair if she had feelings in her pussy . The funniest thing was the manner in which he said it , real seductive like . She was really embarrassed , not cool dude.
    He is a drunken nuissance but a legend . Hed of dated her.

That was a very ignorant thing to say to someone TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

50% of the world's population dissed in one little sentence.

*shakes head*

Their is more women than men Chuck, I would say its about 56% split. Could be higher though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

We all have disabilities and individual handicaps, just some are more severe then others.

Would I date someone with a disability? that would depend on my heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Of course.

I think that people that would answer a flat no to such a question - is just a little immature tbh.

Interesting about the prize there: 2 photo shoots but no CONTRACT with a top modelling agency, which is always the main prize for the other competitions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Another question is, would you ditch your partner if they became disabled. If you go by the oracle of the "stats" a lot of us will develop disabilities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

My wife has curly red hair and wears glasses.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

My sister has a disability and she always gets men. The disability isn't noticeable and she throws herself at them. It doesn't stop her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

yes but my Wife wouldn't be in favour of me doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Yes absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

Physical disability= maybe
    Mental disability= no

MugMugs wrote: »
    MugMugs wrote: »
    I'd say there's a fine line tbh

Best avoided then

Probably. :)
    If you don't want to be in a relationship with someone who has a pretty severe disability, just say it - nothing wrong with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Dudess wrote: »
    If you don't want to be in a relationship with someone who has a pretty severe disability, just say it - nothing wrong with that.

Exactly.

Severely pretty disabilities FTW.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Very few people have nothing that some others might call a disability.

Giselle wrote: »
    Someone with a Cork accent? Absolutely not under any circumstances.*

*joke.:)
    It's ok Giselle - I appreciate it but you don't have to pretend you're joking, there is only so much a human can tolerate. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

spurious wrote: »
    Very few people have nothing that some others might call a disability.

We're all disabled liars, apart from the honest disabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Brendan97

Whats really hard is when you want to break up with your girlfriend and then she developes a disability or has an accident that confines her to a wheelchair before you can break up
    Then if you do break up after, everyone thinks you're a horrible, shallow person

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

It really depends on how much "maintenance" (for want of a better term) the disability requires, and how much it would affect day-to-day life.

It's hard to say unless the question is more specific, to be honest.

Shortened life expectancy would be one of my biggest concerns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Depends on person and disability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Reminds me of this movie :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

Being deaf itd be stupid if i said 'never' and dismissed the person before i even met them. It depends on who they are as a person. I know how hard it is to be even considered a sexual being just based on being deaf. so i think they deserve to feel at least human.

When a fella who could hear broke up with me after a few years going out he said to me itd be great if you went out with a deaf person, which i ignored at the time but upon reflection it pisses me off to think thats all some people think im good for.

Intellectual disability? No as people said itd feel like taking advantage. Its not fair on them but its not really much diffrrent than a person of authority taking advantage of that poition with someone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

I have done so in the past (she lost her left leg below the knee).

So how did that work out for you Mr McCartney?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Nyan Cat wrote: »
    Being deaf itd be stupid if i said 'never' and dismissed the person before i even met them. It depends on who they are as a person. I know how hard it is to be even considered a sexual being just based on being deaf. so i think they deserve to feel at least human.

When a fella who could hear broke up with me after a few years going out he said to me itd be great if you went out with a deaf person, which i ignored at the time but upon reflection it pisses me off to think thats all some people think im good for.

I'm not trying to belittle your disability if this comes across wrong, but being deaf these days shouldn't impact as much due to technology.

When I was college I worked in a pub where two deaf lads drank. They had great looking girlfriends and lots of mates who all could hear. So I don't see why that guy felt you should be limited to deaf people.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

I'm not trying to belittle your disability if this comes across wrong, but being deaf these days shouldn't impact as much due to technology.

When I was college I worked in a pub where two deaf lads drank. They had great looking girlfriends and lots of mates who all could hear. So I don't see why that guy felt you should be limited to deaf people.

Oh i agree. Thanks to smartphones, tablets and computers you dont even have to use a notepad to converse although most people i know prefer the notepad. Im post lingually deaf so i can speak.its not like the dude couldnt converse with me.
    It does matter in group situations. You cant just chime in. But i manage, pin one person down for a bit and work your way around people. No thats not innuendo,lol.

It goes to show you can work around disabilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

Dudess wrote: »
    How do you know? Your own take isn't necessarily everyone else's. That's called projecting.

How do you know I'm wrong? Your own take isn't nessecarily everyone else's?

The answer to my question will also be the answer to your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Blue_Seas

Depends on the person and the disability. I'm a tad shallow. Good looking guy in a wheelchair? Yes. Okay looking guy? Wheelchair or not, I'd be aprehensive, and in that case the fact that he's disabled could throw it for me.

Really it does depend on the person, you don't know who you'll end up liking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I'd say overall it's a yes, obviously depends on the extent of the disability, if something happened to someone I was already going out with I would stand by them for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭gordon_gekko

depends , i have asthma which is technically a disability , someone who enjoys going for three mile runs with thier partner might not appreciate my shortcoming

i wouldnt date someone with a severe psychological disorder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Deaf people are cnuts at closing time:

'Right there now folks please!'

They just fcukin' sit there ignoring you. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

It depends on the disability. There are some disabilities which are not inhibiting, but others which is not the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Deaf people are cnuts at closing time:

'Right there now folks please!'

They just fcukin' sit there ignoring you. :mad:

so are people who can hear,they do the exact same thing,nothing to do with being deaf.

• Advertisement
Advertisement