Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you date someone with a disability?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

It depends if its something minor I wouldn't mind but if severe I don't know all depends on the person and the disability in question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

anplaya wrote: »
    so are people who can hear,they do the exact same thing,nothing to do with being deaf.

I wasn't trying to be smart there. I know people in general do tend to ignore time calling in pubs but I once worked in a place that a gang of deaf people used to drink in and they were impossible at closing time.

My post above of course is a generalisation based solely on my own experience though. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

maybe that was just that particular group,no need to tar em all with the same brush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I wasn't trying to be smart there. I know people in general do tend to ignore time calling in pubs but I once worked in a place that a gang of deaf people used to drink in and they were impossible at closing time.

My post above of course is a generalisation based solely on my own experience though. ;)

maybe they were trolling you because they thought you were a bit of an ass that knew well they were deaf but thought it was hilarious to shout at their backs and then try and claim THEY were the ones being difficult? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

xsiborg wrote: »
    maybe they were trolling you because they thought you were a bit of an ass that knew well they were deaf but thought it was hilarious to shout at their backs and then try and claim THEY were the ones being difficult? :rolleyes:

Distinct possibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

xsiborg wrote: »

Maybe but I doubt it - they weren't all entirely deaf but very hard of hearing (a lot of them had hearing aids) and deaf or not it's fairly obvious at 1.30am that staff are trying to clear a pub, yet they used to sit there as if they were oblivious to it all. They used to play on it IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

They used to play on it IMO.

You should have learned how to sign...

ARE YOU RIGHT THERE FOLKS?

HAVE YOU ANY HOMES TO GO TO?

Troll 'em right back imo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

They used to play on it IMO.

You should have learned how to sign...

ARE YOU RIGHT THERE FOLKS?

HAVE YOU ANY HOMES TO GO TO?

Troll 'em right back imo :)

Universal sign language works best - point 'you' the finger 'f off home' point to watch :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I'm watching that undateables tonight and that blonde one in the wheel chair would get it. Good looking and seems bubblely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

My heart goes out for that woman in the wheelchair, what kind of shallow arsehole dumps a woman after ten years just because she has an accident. she seems lovely too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

Nyan Cat wrote: »
    When a fella who could hear broke up with me after a few years going out he said to me itd be great if you went out with a deaf person, which i ignored at the time but upon reflection it pisses me off to think thats all some people think im good for.
    Fellas like that make Hearing look stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

Deaf people are cnuts at closing time:

'Right there now folks please!'

They just fcukin' sit there ignoring you. :mad:

Depends on the Bar man, I have seen two types:
    1. Stands in the centre of the group and points to his watch and then the door.
    2. Stands behind someone who is signing and shouts closing time

Guess which one gets ignored :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

df1985 wrote: »
    My heart goes out for that woman in the wheelchair, what kind of shallow arsehole dumps a woman after ten years just because she has an accident. she seems lovely too.

Tbh he probably couldn't deal with it and it would've been the most challenging time as they adjust to her limitations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Everyone is different he might not have been able to cope, noone knows how they would deal with such a situation. The guy with the facial disfigurement has a tough life i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I would . There is none of us perfect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

To be honest, dealing with someone in a wheelchair is a massive change for anyone. He may not have been 'shallow' (dislike the word, too simplistic) but simply couldn't cope with his girlfriend in a wheelchair. It's a huge shock to a relationship-sex etc. might be gone out the window.

Apparently a lot of relationships where one partner is in a wheelchair don't last very long, relationships are hard enough to make work if everything is perfect, throw something like that into the mix and it could become very difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

We are all disabled. There is no one on earth who has not got a disability of some sort. So...yes I would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Physical attraction is important to me, so if I'm going to be brutally honest if someone had a serious facial disfigurement I'm going to be straight up and say - no I wouldn't.

I watched the show tonight on C4 though and the girl in the wheelchair seemed really nice, I wouldn't consider her "undateable" at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I'd date her no problem. She was really good looking too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Dudess wrote: »
    It's ok Giselle - I appreciate it but you don't have to pretend you're joking, there is only so much a human can tolerate. :pac:

We all have our limits D. I'm only human. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭CajunPenguin

Dj Stiggie wrote: »
    I have CF as well, and for me it would depend.

I wouldn't date someone with CF due to cross-infection. But I'd probably go out with someone who was blind or deaf or something that didn't immobilise them.

And for everyone saying they would have no problem with it, I've gone out with girls who got really freaked out when they found out I have CF, even though they had no idea before I told them, others who felt they needed to care for me then, and one girl recently who seemed to think she had to compete with me for worse lungs by constantly moaning about problems caused by her smoking, even though I never bring up my condition unless I have to :/
    My friend, we must be related! I have also tried to use it to my advantage if you know what I'm saying lol.It's worked and it's failed but generally girls are more interested in me whether romantically or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

To be honest, dealing with someone in a wheelchair is a massive change for anyone. He may not have been 'shallow' (dislike the word, too simplistic) but simply couldn't cope with his girlfriend in a wheelchair. It's a huge shock to a relationship-sex etc. might be gone out the window.

Apparently a lot of relationships where one partner is in a wheelchair don't last very long, relationships are hard enough to make work if everything is perfect, throw something like that into the mix and it could become very difficult.

I understand but I think my issue really comes down to the fact they were together 10 years, really worth throwing that all away? a shorter realtionship maybe, but clearly they were together for life if this hadnt happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭tomirs

Yes i would ...Yes i have and yes i still am ... The only limits one sets in any form off communication are the self imposed ones . Why just look at the cover when there are so many pages in a book .
    The most exceptional lover i have known and do know is a man who happens to be a paraplegic ...yes i did said man first as that's what is true . There is so much more to a person that one see at first glance ...so much to learn from someone who see things from a different angle , viewpoint , hight and even from those who may not see at all , Touch , spell , taste are all part off us ant yet so few off us have learn to master them in a way that brings pleasure to others .
    Are there really so few people who can see past a disability or are we as the so called normal people the ones with it the disability ???? Isn't the inability to see beyond a persons so called disability a disability it its self .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I would 100% date a mute!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Like most people, it'd depend on the disability and the person. I wouldn't be able to say unless we were talking about somebody specific.
    Their is more women than men Chuck, I would say its about 56% split. Could be higher though.

This might be true, I'm not arsed looking up the statistics right now tbh :p

but in any case, he's still correct in that genetically there is a 50/50 chance for any offspring to be born male or female, and if it is 56% at the moment, over a period of time it'll balance out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

One night a friend browsed the more risque dating sites to see if there were any women with fetishes for wheelchair bound people. Turns out there's not really, but there are a fair few men looking for women in wheelchairs.

I figure that'd be weird as feck though. Even if you were using those sites for one nights stands, you'd only be shagging on the basis that someone has a fetish for whatever position (no pun intended) you're in. Someone has a fetish for dressing up in latex and getting spanked, fair enough. Someone has a fetish for your very nature, bit strange. I'd imagine there'd need to be some serious sexual liberation going on and you'd need to be very comfortable in yourself to be at ease with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Maybe. It would depend on the perks. "Yes" if it got me into those special areas right up beside the stage at a gig or on the touchline at a match.

I'm not usually very interested in meeting celebrities but, depending on their profile, it could be a decider (but definitely not interested in a bunch of RTE "celebs" at a summertime, charity gig in The Iveigh Gardens).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    Maybe. It would depend on the perks. "Yes" if it got me into those special areas right up beside the stage at a gig or on the touchline at a match.

I'm not usually very interested in meeting celebrities but, depending on their profile, it could be a decider (but definitely not interested in a bunch of RTE "celebs" at a summertime, charity gig in The Iveigh Gardens).

you are a charmer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,322 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Depends on the disability and the person themselves

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

tomirs wrote: »
    Yes i would ...Yes i have and yes i still am ... The only limits one sets in any form off communication are the self imposed ones . Why just look at the cover when there are so many pages in a book .
    The most exceptional lover i have known and do know is a man who happens to be a paraplegic ...yes i did said man first as that's what is true . There is so much more to a person that one see at first glance ...so much to learn from someone who see things from a different angle , viewpoint , hight and even from those who may not see at all , Touch , spell , taste are all part off us ant yet so few off us have learn to master them in a way that brings pleasure to others .
    Are there really so few people who can see past a disability or are we as the so called normal people the ones with it the disability ???? Isn't the inability to see beyond a persons so called disability a disability it its self .

That's great for you, but I don't think it's fair of you to criticise other people for not being willing or able to get over certain disabilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭pawrick

Depends on the disability and the people involved.

Was asked out once by a girl who had been in an accident as a child - side of her face had been badly burnt and she lost most of her hearing also. I turned her down as I just wasnt attracted to her and yes the disability was part of my decision.

An ex of mine had webbed toes! It didn't bother me but she was paranoid about it. Also asked out a partially deaf girl...she thougt I was joking and then turned me down :(

Friend fancied a girl who had a limp - conviced him she had a false leg- even that it was wooden! He got drunk and tried knocking on it without her noticing to see if it was he was badly stung she she felt him touching her leg.

That's great for you, but I don't think it's fair of you to criticise other people for not being willing or able to get over certain disabilities.

Who’s criticising anyone :), I stated an option … Being willing is up to the individual them self’s … being able is a matter of physical ability ( tho i have found its unlimited ...again a personal choice and willingness to learn) … both of which depend on the person/s in a given situation . I merely off the option that where there is a will there is a way and if one can stop looking at the physical differences as a disability then the prospects off opening up a relationship with someone whom the world considers disabled is open to more . I said yes ….. I didn’t say you had too :) .

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Who’s criticising anyone smile.gif, I stated an option … Being willing is up to the individual them self’s … being able is a matter of physical ability ( tho i have found its unlimited ...again a personal choice and willingness to learn) … both of which depend on the person/s in a given situation . I merely off the option that where there is a will there is a way and if one can stop looking at the physical differences as a disability then the prospects off opening up a relationship with someone whom the world considers disabled is open to more . I said yes ….. I didn’t say you had too smile.gif .

Sorry, it just seemed you were being rather critical in the below quote. Apologies if I read you wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Who’s criticising anyone :), I stated an option … Being willing is up to the individual them self’s … being able is a matter of physical ability ( tho i have found its unlimited ...again a personal choice and willingness to learn) … both of which depend on the person/s in a given situation . I merely off the option that where there is a will there is a way and if one can stop looking at the physical differences as a disability then the prospects off opening up a relationship with someone whom the world considers disabled is open to more . I said yes ….. I didn’t say you had too :) .

Therein lies the issue. Society putting "labels" on people. I am a wheelchair user, but I wouldn't let that stop me. I'm single too ladies, btw. :-)

Sorry, it just seemed you were being rather critical in the below quote. Apologies if I read you wrong.

Everything in life can be taken 2 ways .. Id never ask others to see life from my shoes . Put never hurts to open the door a little wider at times :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I would.

If they could count to potatoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I've ADD, and I've never had trouble before!

People tend to find me quirky rather than problematic.
    My husband wouldn't be at all bothered with my ADD, but when I get depression or anxiety - that he finds hard to handle.

We've all got our issues, some are more obvious than others.
    If someone would outright say "no, never" to dating someone with a disability, without even considering the type or the extent, well that person isn't someone worth dating are they?! ;)

Therein lies the issue. Society putting "labels" on people. I am a wheelchair user, but I wouldn't let that stop me. I'm single too ladies, btw. :-)

ohhh single ;) theres a plus for the day .... wheels are to be left at the side off the bed ( yes i am defo not PC ) ... :) Put were would we be if everyone was the same :) Labels are only seen by those who are looking :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Petre

If you're a woman in a wheelchair, you'll be likely to have a good love-life with several boyfriends throughout your life.

If you're a man in a wheelchair, you'll be likely to have a good awareness of the "disabled friendly" status of the profiles on escort ireland :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Petre wrote: »
    If you're a good looking woman in a wheelchair with a massive rack, you'll be likely to have a good love-life with several boyfriends throughout your life.

If you're a man in a wheelchair, you'll be likely to have a good awareness of the "disabled friendly" status of the profiles on escort ireland :D

FYP

Advertisement