Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Titanic Recreation

• 08-04-2012 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭

The cruise liner Balmoral is due to leave Southampton today and will arrive in Cobh at 13.00 tomorrow. She will sail at 23.30. She will have the same amount of passangers on board as the Titanic carried.She is due to arrive at the site of the sinking at midnight on the 15th around the time of the collision with the iceberg. Hopefully history won't repeat itself.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

roundymac wrote: »
    She will have the same amount of passangers on board as the Titanic carried.

I hope not as she has a far smaller capacity then the Titanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Yes she has.
    ww.fredolsencruises.com/Our-Ships/Balmoral/Balmoral-Cruise-Ship

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

No ice and a slice so.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

roundymac wrote: »
    Yes she has.
    ww.fredolsencruises.com/Our-Ships/Balmoral/Balmoral-Cruise-Ship

Balmoral
    Passenger
    1350 Standard Occupancy
    Crew

Titanic
    Capacity: Passengers: 2,435, crew: 892

• Advertisement

jhegarty wrote: »
    Balmoral
    Passenger
    1350 Standard Occupancy
    Crew

Titanic
    Capacity: Passengers: 2,435, crew: 892
    Estimated total number of passengers and crew aboard 2227. Exact total unknown due to discrepancies in passanger/crew lists. So if you subtract the crew from the total you will get a ballpark figure of 1335 passengers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Is there any good ais websites were I can track the Balmoral?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

May as well ask a Titanic related question here so...

It's pretty much accepted as fact that if Titanic had collided head on with the ice berg instead of side swiping it the ship would have survived, yes there would have been fatalities and injuries but not to the extent that there was after she sank.

My question is "Is there anyway they could have avoided the iceberg?" The damage was all on the starboard side, so, by a combination of asymmetric thrust, could they have avoided the berg? Port shaft back full, Starboard Shaft ahead full, Stop the centre shaft and full left rudder... Could that have worked?

I know this is a total "What If?" type unanswerable question, but just wondering at the professional opinion of the lads on here....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

This isnt a professional opinion as i dont work at sea but i have heard a theory like this mentioned on tv,
    if they had gone full astern and not turned they would have collided with the iceberg head on and it may have survived,
    or option 2 is go full ahead (might be a bit risky this one) and turned hard to port/starboard they may have missed the iceberg altogether,

the problem mentioned is she tried to do both so it went full astern and tried to turn so as you said it basically sideswiped the ship,
    it seems to make sense if it went full ahead and turned it would have missed the iceberg,

• Advertisement

I read in some book somewhere that by going in reverse they started to take the way off the ship. This had a reduced affect on the rudder especially as the centre propeller was driven by a turbine and did not have reverse capability. It has been stated time and again that if they just order the wheel hard over and left the engines as they were that she might have missed the berg. They are so many little ifs and buts that contribitued to her dimise, eg, the liner New York breaking her moorings when the Titanic got underway, that delayed them an hour, that would equate to 20 miles approx in steaming terms,.

ww.irishexaminer.com/ireland/ill-passenger-airlifted-off-ship-retracing-titanic-voyage-190172.htm
    They already are starting to have drama, a bbc cameraman was airlifted off the Balmoral 200kms out. He has suppected heart problems. Good rescue by the Coastguard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I've lost her, where is she now?

I've lost her, where is she now?

41°46' N, 50°24' W

Sorry.... , couldn't resist..... : )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

gatecrash wrote: »
    41°46' N, 50°24' W

Sorry.... , couldn't resist..... : )
    /and a mile down........:rolleyes:

I should've known I'd get this from the cheap seats.......:D

/and a mile down........:rolleyes:

I should've known I'd get this from the cheap seats.......:D

They don't call me Gate "the heckler" Crash for nothing.... They don't call me that at all..

According to marinetraffic.com last date info was received was over 2 days ago... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Storm 10

You can see where she is on the Company ship locator

Link: http://www.fredolsencruises.com/Our-Ships/Ship-Locator

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Could someone explain "ship time" to me...apparently, the Balmoral is four hours, 27 mins behind BST.
    The four hours I get, but 27 mins?
    Can you shed some light on this...it's annoying my little brain

Advertisement