Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing colleges ...TCD or UCD

• 08-04-2012 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Law in TCD is 505 vs. Law in UCD 485.
    If one can achieve the higher points should that be put before the other?
    Are course necessarily better just because they have higher points, and therefore more demand or less places?

If anyone can knows any information about either places to study law could you please give me your opinions or advise on how choose a college.

Both courses seem good to me, how can I diffrenciate them and choose the rigt college for me?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Points are based purely on supply and demand. One course being "better" than another wouldn't be reflected on points-wise. I don't know very much about Law courses, but more than likely the 2 courses give you the same qualifications at the end (research this with the prospectus and ask on the college forums here).

The demand for Trinity may be higher due to a smaller number of places in the first place, and then all the factors like distance from home, etc. Don't pick a course based on whatever points it is.

If the 2 courses are identical and you'd be happy with either, ignore the points and base your choice on the other factors like how easy either college is to get to, expenses, moving out, etc.

I'd advise asking about the course on the TCD and UCD forums and see what feedback you get from current students.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

EDmon wrote: »
    Are course necessarily better just because they have higher points, and therefore more demand or less places?
    The points have nothing to do with which is better, it is purely a factor of supply and demand.

Place the courses in the order you would like to do them, so if you rather UCD then put if first and vice-a-versa. You will get your highest preference you meed the points for on the day.

One other thing I would suggest finding more information about each course, such as failure rates in each year, % getting 1.1, 2.1, 2.2 in final year etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

Are courses necessarily better just because they have higher points, and therefore more demand or less places?

If anyone can knows any information about either places to study law could you please give me your opinions or advise on how to choose a college.

Both courses seem good to me, how can I differenciate them and choose the right college for me?

Thanks.

Learn to spell/write properly then go to college :pac: Only messing! :p

Don't look at the points basis. Look at their websites or prospectus to see what they say, if you like what one college offers over the other then choose that one.
    Hope that helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

If anyone can knows any information about either places to study law could you please give me your opinions or advise on how choose a college.

Both courses seem good to me, how can I diffrenciate them and choose the rigt college for me?

Thanks.

How close were you to those points in the Mocks? I'm choosing Law at NUIM as I liked the College on the Opening day, they've got an amazing Lit. and Debating society which is an added bonus! Plus if you get 500 points or more you get a Scholarship! I wanna do BCL Law with Economics and UCD is the only other college that does it, and I don't wanna go to UCD! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I'd go purely on preference too - were you at the open days? I went to both and any hope I had of going to Trinity was dashed. The campus was so unappealing that I lost all interest :L

So yeah, I put UCD down first. I'd like to go to TCD because its closer to me and for bragging right, of course :pac:, but at the end of the day you need to be happy with where you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭EDmon

How close were you to those points in the Mocks? I'm choosing Law at NUIM as I liked the College on the Opening day, they've got an amazing Lit. and Debating society which is an added bonus! Plus if you get 500 points or more you get a Scholarship! I wanna do BCL Law with Economics and UCD is the only other college that does it, and I don't wanna go to UCD! :pac:

I got the points for both courses in the mocks, although I don't really feel that portrays much... But am confident that with sustained effort I may be able to achieve that in the actual LC. Although upon reading about the Law courses available in Ireland I'm confident that for convenience and course description either TCD or UCD may be my first preferences. Therefore, I need to differentiate between the two and choose which one to put as a higher preference.

Thanks for all your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Points are based on popularity and have nothing to do with how good the course is or how difficult it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SlyBacon93

Trinners for winners.... I just had to say it :)

SlyBacon93 wrote: »
    Trinners for winners.... I just had to say it :)

And you'll be the only one.

Makes no different OP. Go wherever you choose. As others have said, points mean nothing in terms of how good a course is.

Advertisement