Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Artificial Lake At the Coombe

Options
  • 08-04-2012 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what the story is about that massive pond/lake at the Coombe (beside St.Brigid's?). I know it was meant to be apartments and I presume the developers went under, but how/why is the water there? And who's responsibility is it to take it out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Where exactly is it? I know the Coombe, but don't know St Brigid's. Is it the Cathedral View or whatever development across from the convent?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

just before you turn onto Patrick's street, across from Roma chipper/99 cent shop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

How/why is there water there? Rain :rolleyes:

How/why is there water there? Rain :rolleyes:

Well, there could be an issue if it's accumulating and not evaporating (I presume that's what's going on here). Right beside a school, so might attract rats (rats like water, right?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Elmar Fudd

I didn't know it existed so I looked for an aerial view. I'll be darned - there it is. It must be part of the underground River Poddle.
    D6A99D27BA0840A19E8E3069C3B306AC-0000314941-0002808947-00656L-CCC6ACC8B4A9462E83E5CDCF023F4D3A.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

Well, there could be an issue if it's accumulating and not evaporating (I presume that's what's going on here). Right beside a school, so might attract rats (rats like water, right?).
    yeah that's the point - it has to be at least 4 ft deep and it's been like that for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Elmar Fudd wrote: »
    I didn't know it existed
    I didn't know it was there until I spotted it when upstairs on a bus last week (It's not visible at street level because of hoardings). Was wondering about it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

If you look at google maps it looks like they were in the process of building apartments. So they must have dug the foundations and they filled up with water.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I've always wondered what that American phrase, "a swimming hole" meant - now I know! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

irishguy wrote: »
    must have dug the foundations and they filled up with water.
    I think the question is why these particular foundations have filled with water as there are other abandoned deeper sites which haven't become waterlogged. As Elmar has said, they must be beside an underground river.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

From Chambers:
    coomb, coombe, comb or combe noun
    1 in S England: a short deep valley.
    2 a deep hollow in a hillside.
    ETYMOLOGY: Anglo-Saxon cumb valley.

The Poddle is around those parts.

Stumbled across this about the Poddle.

http://karlwhitney.com/dumbriffs/2010/06/the-poddle/

From old maps of Dublin (and I'm probably wrong), the Poddle comes down New Row South, and meets either another branch of the Poddle or a different river coming down The Coombe, which would sandwich this place between the two branches. The river itself has probably been diverted though, maybe underneath this proposed development?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

From old maps of Dublin (and I'm probably wrong), the Poddle comes down New Row South, and meets either another branch of the Poddle or a different river coming down The Coombe, which would sandwich this place between the two branches. The river itself has probably been diverted though, maybe underneath this proposed development?

That's the way the Poddle goes anyway, the other river could be part of the River Camac maybe, not sure if it goes down that far.

The proposed development is definitely out the window, it's was meant to start years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

How long before a child dies there I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Thats the spirit!

Passed it a few times by bus but somehow always presumed it was just rain related flooding.

There's a school right beside it, so you never know.

Advertisement