Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gel Nails

• 08-04-2012 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭

Hey everybody,

Not sure if this is the right place for this, just wondering if anyone knows if I can paint my gel nails, but still not affect the french tips when I take the polish off?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Put on a base coat, then paint your nails. But make sure to use an acetone-free remover when taking off the polish. The gel underneath should remain unaffected.

Or so I've been told by nail technicians

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

Your nails will never be the same after them :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭talkin

mrs crilly wrote: »
    Ah they would be fine after been off for a year or so. They will be sore and very flimsy for a while after getting them off. I wouldn't get them done again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Amen. They have to grow out from the cuticle to recover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

talkin wrote: »
    Ah they would be fine after been off for a year or so. They will be sore and very flimsy for a while after getting them off. I wouldn't get them done again.
    Giselle wrote: »
    Amen. They have to grow out from the cuticle to recover.
    I last had mine done 4 years ago. I had them on and off for about 5 years including acrylic nails. Mine have never been right since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I last had mine done 4 years ago. I had them on and off for about 5 years including acrylic nails. Mine have never been right since.

Yeah, I used to get mine done on and off for 3 years. Big mistake! It's been over 2.5 years since I got them done and my nails are so weak and brittle :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Are Shellac as bad? I have had gel nails twice and she filed down the surface of the nail. I found my nails were in an awful state after this.

As far as I know shellac does not file down the surface of the nail. Love the concept of gel nails as nail varnish last two minutes before it chips on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Miaireland wrote: »
    Are Shellac as bad? I have had gel nails twice and she filed down the surface of the nail. I found my nails were in an awful state after this.

As far as I know shellac does not file down the surface of the nail. Love the concept of gel nails as nail varnish last two minutes before it chips on me.

I have had gel nails for over 2 years and love them. The girl who does them also does shellac and said that shellac is still gel but said that the soaking off that is not good for your nails!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Jennypops

Shellac is not a gel polish, there is no gel in it.
    Some places that do the 2/3 week manicures call it Shellac but its another brand like Gelish, Gelez, Mani Q...which are all gel polishes. Theres a whole rake of 2/3 week manicure brands out there, people need to find the one that suits them best- and not believe when they are mis informed and told that a Gel polish is 'the same as Shellac'. The only similarity is the fact that they last longer than regular polish.
    Shellac- which is made by CND, does not require any buffing either prior to application or to remove. Shellac does not need to be soaked off, wraps are applied to the fingers and the acetone solely on the nail plate for about 5/7 minutes then it comes clean away. Dunking peoples fingers in bowls of acetone is very drying but can be counteracted by using hand cream & oil.
    It is important to use cuticle oil when wearing any kind of enhancements to keep the nail fed and moisturised.
    Damage is only caused by bad technique- over buffing of natural nail being one of the biggest problems caused by technicians. Equally picking at enhancements, using them as tools will all cause damage as well.
    I can't speak for any other range as I dont use it, but Shellac does not alter the natural nail, if you have dry brittle nails before, they will still be dry and brittle after- unless you do actually follow the techs advice of using something like Solar Oil or a decent quality cuticle oil. Find a decent nail tech who knows the products properly, is trained properly in the system they are offering and follow the proper after care.

• Advertisement
Advertisement