Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

am i a role model or a bit sexist

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'm a mum of 2, boy and girl and there is no splitting of jobs on gender lines, we all just chip in and do what needs to be done. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭doulikeit

eviltwin wrote: »
    I'm a mum of 2, boy and girl and there is no splitting of jobs on gender lines, we all just chip in and do what needs to be done. :)

I appreciate ur response and its probably a bit off my point and ill get shot for saying this but let's also be practical about this there is certain jobs that are physicaly demanding and are better suited to men

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Out of fairness, OP, the type of household jobs you've described in your OP are hardly those that are "physically demanding and better suited to men." You're talking about taking out the bins, not toting buckets of cement up 20 foot ladders.

I think most posters have already said what I'm thinking, but yes, OP, you are being sexist. It's one thing to naturally divide chores between the family members, it's another thing to say that the women will do x and the men will to y, based only on the fact that the individual is male/female. That is the definition of sexism. There's no reason why the females can't take out the bins, or the men can't cook - those divisions of labour are based only in sexism and are really a bit outdated (and unfair to all parties involved).

Ayla wrote: »
    Out of fairness, OP, the type of household jobs you've described in your OP are hardly those that are "physically demanding and better suited to men." You're talking about taking out the bins, not toting buckets of cement up 20 foot ladders.

I think most posters have already said what I'm thinking, but yes, OP, you are being sexist. It's one thing to naturally divide chores between the family members, it's another thing to say that the women will do x and the men will to y, based only on the fact that the individual is male/female. That is the definition of sexism. There's no reason why the females can't take out the bins, or the men can't cook - those divisions of labour are based only in sexism and are really a bit outdated (and unfair to all parties involved).

I did say it was a bit off my original point I apologize

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

doulikeit wrote: »
    let's also be practical about this there is certain jobs that are physicaly demanding and are better suited to men

You have me stumped. Can you give an example? Since the appearance of power tools and ladders I don't think there is much difference someones height or weight would make. There are very weak men, and very strong women, vice versa and everything in between.

Plus, I thought we were were talking about children here. I don't see any reason a 10 year old girl wouldn't be able to do anything a 10 year old boy could.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I appreciate ur response and its probably a bit off my point and ill get shot for saying this but let's also be practical about this there is certain jobs that are physicaly demanding and are better suited to men

Anything "physically demanding" is done by me and my husband. But yeah the kids muck in and do little jobs that are age appropriate.

If that means my daughter does some DIY or my son helps make dinner then so be it.

I do a lot of the jobs that might be considered "man jobs", hubbie does jobs that would be classed as traditionally female. As I said before if it needs doing we just do it, we don't hang around waiting for the other person to come home. We just get on with it.

Works quite well.

I think you are just looking for people to say "yes its okay to be sexist"...why you would want to be is beyond me. Surely you want to raise your kids to do chores.

eviltwin wrote: »

Anything "physically demanding" is done by me and my husband. But yeah the kids muck in and do little jobs that are age appropriate.

If that means my daughter does some DIY or my son helps make dinner then so be it.

I do a lot of the jobs that might be considered "man jobs", hubbie does jobs that would be classed as traditionally female. As I said before if it needs doing we just do it, we don't hang around waiting for the other person to come home. We just get on with it.

Works quite well.

I think you are just looking for people to say "yes its okay to be sexist"...why you would want to be is beyond me. Surely you want to raise your kids to do chores.

Yeah that's my angle alright u got me

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Op, in the house I grew up in, I helped out either parent as they needed it. As a consequence, when I was stranded on a lonely road without my phone with a flat tyre I was able to put on the spare and tootle along home safely, I can also change bulbs in the car and check the oil & water. I can paint, wallpaper, put up coat racks, shelves, bleed radiators, change a plug, chop wood, do most farmwork and garden work as well as turn my hand to dinners, laundry and sewing.

It was not a choice really - my parents simply didnt have the cash to employ tradesmen, and did lots of things themselves.

Think about it this way- even if they are not interested (and we never had the luxury of choice ;)) you dont want your adult daughters getting ripped off by rogue tradesmen getting charged €100 for a callout to flip a trip switch back up. I suspect a lot of the time we were required to help out, it was mainly to teach us to fend for ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

At the moment - yes, you sounds sexist.

We had a very similar setup in my house while I was growing up.
    Mum did the traditionally girly jobs of cooking and cleaning, dad did the DIY and gardening. But, as kids, we were jack of all trades.

I was just as likely to be helping my dad cut the grass (raking it for hours!) as I would be helping my mum dry the dishes. My brother would be just as likely to be sewing a button back on as he would stripping wall paper. Some of it was a chore while some of it was interesting.

The result is that as adults, we are still jack of all trades. I am more than capable of wiring a plug, putting up a shelf, making flatpack furniture or painting a celiling. I am not frightened by power tools, and happily break concrete with my Kango hammer, or cut down dead shrubs with my garden machete. I can also cook up a storm, ice a cake and knit and sew. So can my brother. Both of us are self-sufficent, and that is exactly the way I would want my unborn daughter to be.

Sure, there are somethings I can't do. I can't start our lawnmower, so my hubby does that most of the time. He detests hoovering, so I do that again most of the time. But we split jobs according to our skills, interest and enthusiasm - not gender.

Advertisement