Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

parking permit

Options
  • 08-04-2012 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, just wondering if I can get some feedback on peoples experience of getting a parking permit in the city?

I'm moving into a new house at the end of the month that only has street parking, I don't drive but my boyfriend who would be staying with me a few days a week would need to be able to park. Is there any way for him to get a permit without being on the lease?

I know they want you to be registered with the PRTB and to have utility bills as proof but those would all be in my name in the new house. There has to be a way around it surely?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Sapsorrow wrote: »
    Hey guys, just wondering if I can get some feedback on peoples experience of getting a parking permit in the city?

I'm moving into a new house at the end of the month that only has street parking, I don't drive but my boyfriend who would be staying with me a few days a week would need to be able to park. Is there any way for him to get a permit without being on the lease?

I know they want you to be registered with the PRTB and to have utility bills as proof but those would all be in my name in the new house. There has to be a way around it surely?

My advice on parking permits would be three words - Avoid, Avoid, Avoid!

To answer your main question, there's no way around it. You said you're unable to drive, so i'm guessing you dont have a licence, meaning your name can't be put on the insurance. And as he is the owner of the car, it is his name that would need to be on the parking permit - the only way to do that is for him to be a resident. As for acquiring a permit, i had to do the following, and it's a bloody long list:

Firstly I went to a peace commissioner, as I was not a registered voter in any Cork constituency. He requires proof of address. For this you need a minimum of two bills to be in your name, i had to ring Eircom and ESB to put them in my name, after about 5 weeks of messing i eventually had both.

I then went to Motor Tax office with a form that the city council said I could get stamped at the MTO, to avoid having to change my Vehicle Registration Cert, but they were unable to comply withi this, and told me to send my Vehicle Registration Book to Shannon to have the vehicle registered for the new address - another four weeks lapsed before i received said log book.

Then I brought my new Vehicle Registration Cert, my new Insurance letter registered to the new address, the two bills, stamped cert from peace commissioner, letter from my landlord saying that PRTB registration was in progress, and my ten euro.

All in all, it took close on THREE MONTHS, just to obtain a permit so I could park outside my own fcuking house. After which i find it's only a temporarly 3 month permit!!! Then i find that parking on North Mall is extremely limited, and more often than not i found myself parking across the quay near the Mercy :rolleyes:

PRTB registration was finally completed after another two months, taking the total to FIVE MONTHS before i finally received my 12 month parking permit.

Woop-i-fcuking-doo i thought, let's do this again in the next house!! And of course when i moved house, my car was still registered to my old house, so i was receiving all my motor tax/insurance letters to that address. Had to send off for a new log book for the change of address.

So, just a tip, from me and many others who have suffered the pain of the pi$$-taking process of claiming parking permits - DON'T!. Find a free parking space somewhere within a reasonable walking distance. Or if your boyfriend has a few bob to spare, maybe try here: http://www.rent.ie/parking-spaces/renting_cork/cork-city-centre/

But seriously, you do not want to go through the process of obtaining a parking permit, it will kill your soul and numb your wits!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Wow thanks for the detailed answer, that's all good info to have. God though, that sucks! We don't have a choice about the parking as we're buying a camper together soon and can't risk leaving it anywhere else or it'll probably get vandalized all the time. I wonder if it'd be worth changing ownership and just getting my sh*t together and start learning to drive (I've left it way too long already) so I can get the permit in my name. I know his insurance is cheaper with me as a driver on the car anyway but whether I can be the owner of the car and yet have him as the primary insurance holder is another issue :( Seriously though, is the permit only for a year at a time? We have plenty of places to park the car up until this get's sorted at least.

Yes it's only for 12 months, you go to the Council at the end of that period with your 10 euro and application form if you want another yearly permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

grenache wrote: »
    Yes it's only for 12 months, you go to the Council at the end of that period with your 10 euro and application form if you want another yearly permit.

I went through all of that myself but since I only rent a room, my landlord doesn't need to be registered with PRTB and I don't have a rental agreement. There's no legal obligation to have either when renting a room and my parking permit application was rejected immediately. Waste of my time getting all the other pieces together.

blah wrote: »
    I went through all of that myself but since I only rent a room, my landlord doesn't need to be registered with PRTB and I don't have a rental agreement. There's no legal obligation to have either when renting a room and my parking permit application was rejected immediately. Waste of my time getting all the other pieces together.
    It's natural that they rejected your application, as you didn't have the relevant documentation. Your landlord has to be registered with the PRTB. That's what both the Council and my landlord told me. Whether you're only renting the room and not making use of the whole house is irrelevant, you are still a resident, who wants a resident's parking permit - at least this is what i understand from what you've posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Your landlord has to be registered with the PRTB. That's what both the Council and my landlord told me. Whether you're only renting the room and not making use of the whole house is irrelevant, you are still a resident, who wants a resident's parking permit - at least this is what i understand from what you've posted.

If they are just renting a room they do not have to be PRTB registered.

"Your rights and obligations as a landlord:
    If you choose to rent out a room in your home, you are not covered by landlord/tenant legislation in Ireland. This means that you are not obliged to register with the Private Residential Tenancies Board (PRTB) as a landlord, provide a rent book to the tenant or ensure that the accommodation provided meets any minimum physical standards."

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/home_owners/rent_a_room_scheme.html

It's natural that they rejected your application, as you didn't have the relevant documentation. Your landlord has to be registered with the PRTB. That's what both the Council and my landlord told me. Whether you're only renting the room and not making use of the whole house is irrelevant, you are still a resident, who wants a resident's parking permit - at least this is what i understand from what you've posted.

I am a resident, but I can't force my landlord to register with the PRTB or give me a rental agreement (and he's not legally obliged to do either). And the council will not take that into consideration. They simply rejected the application with a form letter saying that I didn't include all of the information. I tried ringing their office numerous times to discuss the problem in their policy but could only get an answering machine and they never responded to when I left a message.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭A Law

clamp all 4 wheels yourself every night, clamper won't know that the f**k is going on!

clamp all 4 wheels yourself every night, clamper won't know that the f**k is going on!

Thankfully the rumour I heard was that the clampers no longer operate in Cork. I've been parking without a permit for a year and I've never been clamped or got a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭daisyscience

I'm living north side and my boyfriend didn't bother getting a permit because we had heard so much about how much trouble it was getting one. He just parked his car nearby instead in what seemed to be a safe enough area. It was literally 2 seconds around the corner from our house with loads of traffic passing. The first time they broke into his car they stole all the disks and insurance plates. We reported it to the guards immediately of course but he still got tickets for not displaying his tax and all that. We moved it somewhere else with security cameras. Next time they just broke the car a bit and the last time they set fire to it and then stole the remains.... So insurance doesn't cover it and the cameras got nothing. It had only been parked there for about half an hour. All this happened in the space of about a week too.

I know it sounds like a load of hassle to get the permit but if you just make the effort, knowing what you need to do and knowing that there's no point in getting stressed about it, it might save you a lot more hassle in the future. If we can afford to save for another car we will defiantly be looking to get one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

Where abouts did all that happen?? Just so I know not to park there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Even if what they did was correct - you didn't have the documentation they specified - you should make a formal complaint about it. There are loads of owner occupier landlords out there now (I'm one) and the more of you that make a noise about it the quicker the system will get changed.

edit - complaints procedure

I'm living north side and my boyfriend didn't bother getting a permit because we had heard so much about how much trouble it was getting one. He just parked his car nearby instead in what seemed to be a safe enough area. It was literally 2 seconds around the corner from our house with loads of traffic passing. The first time they broke into his car they stole all the disks and insurance plates. We reported it to the guards immediately of course but he still got tickets for not displaying his tax and all that. We moved it somewhere else with security cameras. Next time they just broke the car a bit and the last time they set fire to it and then stole the remains.... So insurance doesn't cover it and the cameras got nothing. It had only been parked there for about half an hour. All this happened in the space of about a week too.

I know it sounds like a load of hassle to get the permit but if you just make the effort, knowing what you need to do and knowing that there's no point in getting stressed about it, it might save you a lot more hassle in the future. If we can afford to save for another car we will defiantly be looking to get one.

Did you only have it insured for third party?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I'd totally forgotten such a thing existed.

It was insured for fire and theft too but because it was stolen the morning after they burnt it out an assessor didn't get to see it from the insurance company and they say he has to see it to claim on that and unfortunately my boyfriend thought the car had an immobiliser but it didn't so its not covered for theft after all. Anyway, he would only get 70 percent of the market value minus the excess from what I understand, so that would only leave him with less than 100 quid. He said its not worth the claim because of the loss of the no claims bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭regress

It was insured for fire and theft too but because it was stolen the morning after they burnt it out an assessor didn't get to see it from the insurance company and they say he has to see it to claim on that and unfortunately my boyfriend thought the car had an immobiliser but it didn't so its not covered for theft after all. .
    So the burnt out car was stolen and has now disappeared. Do they still even make immobilizers? Haven't seen one used in years. And how could your biyfriend think it had one of these antiquated yokes when it didn't. Did he imagine it?

regress wrote: »
    So the burnt out car was stolen and has now disappeared. Do they still even make immobilizers? Haven't seen one used in years. And how could your biyfriend think it had one of these antiquated yokes when it didn't. Did he imagine it?

Yes, according to the guards it appears that someone stole the car after it was burnt out as they don't know where it is and either does the council, yet it was gone within 24 hours. It is possibly worth more as scrap metal than as an auto mobile.

I don't know a thing about immobilizers, maybe there's a forum with information on them where you can ask your questions there (his car was a classic in case that's important for you to get your answers). Maybe there was simply a box to be ticked and he ticked it, I don't know but can ask if it is very important to you and this thread about parking permits. He does have a fantastic imagination so maybe he did just imagine it, maybe his last car had one, like I said let me know your questions and i will pass them on. :D

Only curious because you said that theft insurance was invalid because of missing burnt out car not having an immobilizer. Even though your boyfriend or you don't even remember whether or not car had an immobilizer. So it might have had one that you cannot remember. Also seems that theft insurance is a bit pointless if it is invalidated by absence of an antiquated device that very few people have any more i.e a motor car immobilizer. Also I assume that car could not have been driven away while being stolen as it was burnt out so whether or not it had an immobilizer would have been irrelevant anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

i think regress may be confusing immobiliser with something else, they are mandatory on cars,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immobiliser

Ah. Did not know that. I was assuming that Daisy was referring to one of the manual immobilizers that are locked around steering columns. I assume now that the reason you don't see them much anymore is because all cars since late eighties have immobilisers fitted as standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

That's what my boyfriend keeps trying to tell me, there's no point stressing, just have to get on with jumping through the hoops I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭deecee1

I'm now on my third parking permit, yes you have to jump through hoops, I live with my partner (he owns the property) so I've had to get bills in joint names. Saporrow your boyfriend will not get a permit if he's not on the tenancy agreement or is not living with you. His car vrt needs be registered to the property, he needs to be registered to vote in the area, his driving license needs to have the address on it, he needs his insurance cert and at least 2 official letters with the address on them i.e. bank statement, utility bill etc. You can look up cork city councils website and download the form needed. You can bring all the documentation into city hall and they will do the initial steps, if everything is in order you pay 10 euros and you will receive a receipt. They usually advise you to stick this on your windshield while you wait for your actual permit. Be warned it takes about 3-4 months to get the actual permit. Also double check that the details are correct on this. The second last one I got had the date of issue instead of the expiry date on it and after nearly nine months up ( and it was checked on numerous occasions by ticket inspectors) the incorrect date was noted and I got a parking ticket when the car was parked outside my front door :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,023 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm pretty sure that they've done away with the need to be registered with the PRTB.

Advertisement