Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zyxel Router Weak Signal

Options
  • 08-04-2012 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

I have had this Zyxel router now for between 3-4 years. It has always given out a strong signal to my laptop etc. The laptop is in the same room as the router, so the signal has naturally been strong. 3 or 4 days ago, the signal has dipped to about 25% of what is usually gives to my laptop, which is in the same room as the router. I haven't moved the router, or changed anything. My mobile phone is recieving a poor signal from it also.

It is so weak, that the laptop wireless connection gets cut off for maybe 5 mins or more. I installed the router years ago, when i had a pc, but that is long gone, so i didn't update any software for it ever. Is it time to replace the Zyxel?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Before changing the router I would download and install InSSIDer run it to check what other wireless networks are in the same area.

If there is another one operating on the same channel then it will interfere and you will need to change the channel on yours to one 5 away. e,g, 1, 6 and 11 are the three channels less likely to interfere with each other.

Also wireless baby alarms and video senders also interfere but won't show up in InSSIDer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

Installed and ran inSSIDer. My channel is on 11. The other 2 outside wireless are Eircom and are channel 1 and 3.

My RSSI is -74 and Max Rate is 54, as are the other 2 outsiders.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭yellowtrout

I have the exact same problem!
    Rang Eircom, they said there's nothing they can really do, but they told me to change the channel under Netopia..I kept changing it but it didn't make a difference..
    My signal is weak too..only have two bars on the icon.
    What's the solution?
    (I don't have anything wireless interfering with the modem)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭dazzlemoo

OK, I'd had enough of this problem so I called Eircom again and the guy was really helpful.

He told me to reset my modem by pressing something like a paperclip (unwound) into the Reset button at the back of the modem, then he told me Channel 7 was the best channel to be on for me (on the Netopia page), then he did something to my modem from his end, and now I have full signal again.
    I also notice my browsing is much speedier too, though I don't know if this has anything to do with that, but it's great.

He said if he hadn't have been able to sort the signal issue out, then I would have needed a new modem. He said mine was pretty old, even though it's only two years old.
    Anyway, try resetting your modem and give Eircom a call if you continue having this problem

Advertisement