Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving To Tallaght!

Options
  • 08-04-2012 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm going to be moving to tallaght for work in the next month, I want to find out areas to look at and ones to aviod??

I'l be working in cookstown ind estate so somplace within easy reacy by public transport from there!

also what are the best web sites for house shares?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Cookstown is served by the luas red line so why look to live in tallaght at all?

Share an apartment with someone in the IFSC, so you have the red line to take you to and from work with all the amenities of the city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭byebye

Nuttzz wrote: »
    Cookstown is served by the luas red line so why look to live in tallaght at all?

Share an apartment with someone in the IFSC, so you have the red line to take you to and from work with all the amenities of the city centre

is it a long trip on the luas? i'm clueless about luas and dublin bus routes! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Citywest is grand. Lived there for about a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

kilnamanagh is a good area, or kingswood, both within walking distance of cookstown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

byebye wrote: »
    is it a long trip on the luas? i'm clueless about luas and dublin bus routes! :D

think it's around 45 min trip. If it was me personally I'd probly go for somewhere in the middle of the luas line, as tallaght is quite far out. Now this obviously depends on how much time you plan to spend in the city centre! Kingswood is a lovely part of tallaght.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭byebye

dearg lady wrote: »
    think it's around 45 min trip. If it was me personally I'd probly go for somewhere in the middle of the luas line, as tallaght is quite far out. Now this obviously depends on how much time you plan to spend in the city centre! Kingswood is a lovely part of tallaght.

Ya 45min seems a bit long really! i looked at kingswood looks to be a good postion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Kingswood, Belgard Heights, Alpine Rise are the best areas around there and all within a few minutes walk of Cookstown Industrial Estate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭dazzlemoo

I don't think it's a good idea to ask what areas you should avoid-bound to cause ructions on here if someone slates an area.
    I'm from Tallaght and I do think some parts are better than others, but I'm not gonna start naming them.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭frankled

Springfield, Kilnamanagh, Kingswood and Belgard are all right beside Cookstown and are probably amongst the nicer parts of Tallaght. Citywest/Saggart on Luas red line also- loads of options.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Adrift

I grew up in Tallaght, plenty of good options there.

Bancroft is one of the nicest and afer areas in Tallaght, could be expensive to rent there though, check it out.

Kilnamanagh, Kingswood, Belgard are all fine, if nothing spectacular.

Glenview is also not too bad, Firhouse could be another option.

The Luas redline is actually quite bad in my opinion/personal experience so it's best avoided. If you can rent somewhere from the above list it and avoid the Luas it would be better. There are plent of Buses from Tallagh to the City center and it's actually quicker on the bus as the Luas route meanders quite a bit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hi OP,

There are apartments at the square shopping centre 'Belgard Square West' These are new, they have 24 hr security parking and are right on the luas line as in its 60 seconds walk from your door.

There are amenities in the area, the civic theatre various restaurants bars and the square shopping centre which just opened its brand new cinema. You can walk to Cookstown Ind Est in 15 mins or take the luas if your lazy. you can also get the luas or any of about 10 bus routes into the city centre and anytime.

The area is perfectly fine. If you fancy monday / friday night soccer go visit Rovers to pick up the atmosphere.

The alternate is to live in the city and luas out to cookstown city to door would be 40 mins travel on the luas.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,621 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

As a general rule, the further west you are in Tallaght, the dodgier the area gets. Personally, I wouldn't want to live in Tallaght at all. I recently took a trip to The Square shopping centre and saw pregnant women smoking at the front door with people inside the shop spitting on the floor. I hear the nightlife can be rough enough too, so perhaps you might want to consider living in the city and getting the Luas out? If I recall, it's only 35 minutes from the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ifwah

Posts like the one above annoy me, yes Tallaght has rough parts but it also has lovely spots too.
    Try around citywest, you'll be on the luas track which will bring you straight to cookstown.
    Dunnes stores is right on your doorstep and saggart village is only up the road. Try carrigmore, carrigcourt or swiftwood, all nice quiet estates.

As a general rule, the further west you are in Tallaght, the dodgier the area gets. Personally, I wouldn't want to live in Tallaght at all. I recently took a trip to The Square shopping centre and saw pregnant women smoking at the front door with people inside the shop spitting on the floor. I hear the nightlife can be rough enough too, so perhaps you might want to consider living in the city and getting the Luas out? If I recall, it's only 35 minutes from the city centre.

Is this a wind up? You wouldn't live in a area where you once saw pregnant women smoking? Are you for real?
    You would be lucky to get from the city centre in 35 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Ah I love getting the bus in when there isn't much traffic scoots in it does 20 mins or the usual 45-55.
    I would recommend for someone to rent in Tallaght (as I am myself) because for under 1k a month you can rent a 3 bed house in Oldbawn or Alyselbury which are both nice and quiet, or rent a very modern flat in one of those new blocks near the square which are as far as I know generally rented privately because the owners/developers will not rent to council (They have been refused again and again) so mainly young irish couples and polish there, and around the centre there is not really any riff raff the odd drug addict you'll see but I've never been asked for money waiting for the bus they only do that in town in my experience and kids about but never any hassle I have walked around at night (getting off luas) and never had any problems.

And I know Brennan are renting some nice new flats in the Village which is super quiet, a fair few flats but never any trouble, buses and shops right outside, the only thing about tallaght that gives it that rep is the bad estates west like jobstown and killinardan/cushlawn south but I live at the back of cushlawn and its fine, wouldnt want to live in it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

listermint wrote: »
    Hi OP,

There are apartments at the square shopping centre 'Belgard Square West' These are new, they have 24 hr security parking and are right on the luas line as in its 60 seconds walk from your door.

Sister lived in one of the blocks for six months.

Post stolen constantly.
    Pissing and puking in lifts on a constant basis.
    Fights in corridors, doors being kicked in.

Lovely apartments though. Shame about the neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,621 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Is this a wind up? You wouldn't live in a area where you once saw pregnant women smoking? Are you for real?
    No wind-up, Tallaght is not a desirable place for me to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Man007

I second that tallaght is not great there are plenty of nicer places within 20 mins Templeogue Terenure Rathfarnham Knocklyon to name a few surely 15-20 mins is not a bad commute.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Why commute for 20 minutes when there are plenty of perfectly nice places walking distance from Cookstown?

To say all of Tallaght is not great is ridiculous, and to be frank, bollocks.

Fair enough if you don't want to live there, but those reasons you gave in your last post are laughable. Honestly I would think you need to mind your own business and get a life if these are your major concerns about where to live

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Fair enough if you don't want to live there, but those reasons you gave in your last post are laughable. Honestly I would think you need to mind your own business and get a life if these are your major concerns about where to live

If someone asks advice on where is good to live, then they're entitled to respond. I live in Tallaght, used to live in Citywest, and it's fine, but there's no need to be rude to someone who is expressing a different opinion.

Sister lived in one of the blocks for six months.

Post stolen constantly.
    Pissing and puking in lifts on a constant basis.
    Fights in corridors, doors being kicked in.

Lovely apartments though. Shame about the neighbours.

Ive lived in them too, never had any of that hastle tbh. Are you confident its the same block. There was a block i looked at previously over supervalu, I wouldnt be confident living in.

Those surrounding captain americas are very quiet. Security will be on your door in 10 minutes if your making excessive noise (parties etc)

Snakeblood wrote: »
    If someone asks advice on where is good to live, then they're entitled to respond. I live in Tallaght, used to live in Citywest, and it's fine, but there's no need to be rude to someone who is expressing a different opinion.

Plenty of people have expressed that they wouldn't live in Tallaght for very good reasons. That's fine. I maintain that seeing pregnant women smoking is a ludicrous reason to dislike an area. And I don't think that I was rude, genuinely, people should mind their own bloody business.

Theyre opinion is based on seeing some pregnant bird smoking?

Come of it, you cant tar an entire area with a population of 80 or so thousand based on that crap. Some opinions need to be called out for what they are. (tripe)

And as for the poster that suggested so called 'nicer' areas. The cost of rental in these areas will far exceed anything you will get in tallaght and most likely will me smaller.

Me id prefer less commuting time and massive savings on my cost of living. Leaves more time and cash for beers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

Get yourself a bike OP and cycle to work. Way better than depending on public transport. Saying that the Luas is a pretty good service! It rains a lot less here than the west!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Capri86

God forbid the only pregnant woman to ever smoke happened to be at the square. I used to live in tallaght. Very nice neighbours too. Ok I had a few bad experiences, my house was broken into and so was my car within a year. But I strongly believe that happens everywhere and I was unlucky. Tallaght has a few bad spots but has a much worse name for it than it deserves

Plenty of people have expressed that they wouldn't live in Tallaght for very good reasons. That's fine. I maintain that seeing pregnant women smoking is a ludicrous reason to dislike an area. And I don't think that I was rude, genuinely, people should mind their own bloody business.

Telling someone to get a life is rude. Also telling people to mind their own bloody business, particularly as they answered an open question. I'm not sure what you don't understand about that.

Telling someone to get a life is rude. Also telling people to mind their own bloody business, particularly as they answered an open question. I'm not sure what you don't understand about that.

Yes, ignore the ridiculousness of what was said, good idea! I meant mind his own business in passing comment on a pregnant woman smoking, not replying to this thread. And I don't think it is any of his business to pass comment. For all he knows it's one cigarette she has in 9 months. None of his business. Honestly I think if that is someones biggest worry then they do need to get a life, and not be minding how other people live theirs.

Yes, ignore the ridiculousness of what was said, good idea! I meant mind his own business in passing comment on a pregnant woman smoking, not replying to this thread. And I don't think it is any of his business to pass comment. For all he knows it's one cigarette she has in 9 months. None of his business. Honestly I think if that is someones biggest worry then they do need to get a life, and not be minding how other people live theirs.

Saying 'Hey, I disagree' is different to saying 'Mind your own business, get a life'. I'm not taking issue with you disagreeing. I'm taking issue with you being rude to someone. I thought I was pretty clear.

• Advertisement

Saying 'Hey, I disagree' is different to saying 'Mind your own business, get a life'. I'm not taking issue with you disagreeing. I'm taking issue with you being rude to someone. I thought I was pretty clear.

I maintain that the individual SHOULD mind his own business with reference to someone smoking, how does it infringe on him or his living situation. I don't believe I said anything rude.
    EDIT: Just realised have really veered off topic, sorry!

Advertisement