Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving To Tallaght!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

dearg lady wrote: »
    I maintain that the individual SHOULD mind his own business with reference to someone smoking, how does it infringe on him or his living situation. I don't believe I said anything rude.

He was asked his opinion on why it wasn't a good place to live and gave it. We'll agree to disagree about rudeness. I don't like people I didn't know saying get a life or mind your own business in daily life. I'd think whoever said it was being rude, frankly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Snakeblood wrote: »
    He was asked his opinion on why it wasn't a good place to live and gave it. Why don't you mind your own business?

He gave his opinion and I dispute his reasoning. we're both responding on a public thread, and we're both entitled to it. I've been quite clear about what I mean by suggesting he mind his own business. I'm not dragging this any further OT.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Man007

He gave his opinion and I dispute his reasoning. we're both responding on a public thread, and we're both entitled to it. I've been quite clear about what I mean by suggesting he mind his own business. I'm not dragging this any further OT.

I think people are focusing too much on the smoking pregnant women I think the poster was using it to refer to a certain type of person that hangs around in that area ie a pieball prob on the scratcher.

Let's be honest there are a lot of valid reasons to not want to live in certain parts of tallaght I spend a lot of time in the area on account of friends living there and yes the majority are nice people but there are more scumbags engaging in anti social behaviour than other areas I suggested and that's the truth I think it would be worth it to spend the extra money one poster pointed out it would cost to not have the hassle of dealing with them.

Just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Man007 wrote: »
    I think people are focusing too much on the smoking pregnant women I think the poster was using it to refer to a certain type of person that hangs around in that area ie a pieball prob on the scratcher.

Let's be honest there are a lot of valid reasons to not want to live in certain parts of tallaght I spend a lot of time in the area on account of friends living there and yes the majority are nice people but there are more scumbags engaging in anti social behaviour than other areas I suggested and that's the truth I think it would be worth it to spend the extra money one poster pointed out it would cost to not have the hassle of dealing with them.

Just my opinion.

Maybe so, but I do think if someone posts on a public board their opinion could be challenged (as mine has been too!!) There are of course good reasons to avoid living in certain areas, but the individual whose posted I disputed has tarred the whole of Tallaght with one brush and for seemingly no good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Just my opinion.

So you dont live there then?

Got it.

OP i think your best taking the advice of people that live in the area. Ive rented in Cabinteely. Makes not bones it was an all singing dancing 'Penthouse apartment' which cost and arm and a leg. And i can tell you most candidly There were so many scumbags around that area that it was laughable. Between the parties / shouting and hollering oh and the drug dealer that crashed into my car and drove off leaving me with a 600 Euro bill (the guards told me directly he was not the type to go chasing after).

So in summation take advice off people who have experience of living in an area and not some jaunter who saunters through. BTW ive left Cabinteely rent was high and the hastle was terrible. I believe the value on that apartment was circa 600,000 so you can see where im coming from when people tell you to move to so called 'nicer' areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Maybe so, but I do think if someone posts on a public board their opinion could be challenged (as mine has been too!!) There are of course good reasons to avoid living in certain areas, but the individual whose posted I disputed has tarred the whole of Tallaght with one brush and for seemingly no good reason.

I think possibly you zoned in on the "pregnant women smoking" thing a bit too much, as the poster also mentioned people spitting inside the shopping centre. As someone who frequented the Square and the Luas red line for the last three years I can see what the person was talking about, What I got from it was he was trying to set the tone and paint a picture of the place, which to be honest, around the Square, can be quite bloody scary at times, and I wouldn't choose to live exactly right there myself. But The Square, does not equal all of tallaght, and there are far nicer parts of Tallaght of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Babooshka wrote: »
    I think possibly you zoned in on the "pregnant women smoking" thing a bit too much, as the poster also mentioned people spitting inside the shopping centre. As someone who frequented the Square and the Luas red line for the last three years I can see what the person was talking about, What I got from it was he was trying to set the tone and paint a picture of the place, which to be honest, around the Square, can be quite bloody scary at times, and I wouldn't choose to live exactly right there myself. But The Square, does not equal all of tallaght, and there are far nicer parts of Tallaght of course.

Sorry but im still going to call people on this, I have never once in my entire life seen anyone spit inside the shopping centre EVER.

Painting a picture and spreading falsehoods are two different things.

And no i dont have rose tinted glasses either. You can spot a scaldy b*ll*x from miles away and they have them in every area you go to. So lets not generalise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

frankled wrote: »
    Springfield, Kilnamanagh, Kingswood and Belgard are all right beside Cookstown and are probably amongst the nicer parts of Tallaght. Citywest/Saggart on Luas red line also- loads of options.

OP this is probably the best advice I have seen on the thread. I have lived in Tallaght for a long time and I can say to you yes it has bad areas but most places do.

I would avoid Luas if at all possible.. The areas mentioned above are close enough and if you cycle you would be 5-10min away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

listermint wrote: »
    Sorry but im still going to call people on this, I have never once in my entire life seen anyone spit inside the shopping centre EVER.

Painting a picture and spreading falsehoods are two different things.

And no i dont have rose tinted glasses either. You can spot a scaldy b*ll*x from miles away and they have them in every area you go to. So lets not generalise.

While I wouldn't advise against living in Tallaght (as I do myself), while I was at the Square at Christmas, I saw a guy steal a car near the entrance to the Square, drive into the pillars near the bus stops, bending them, then drive out the wrong way from the exit near the petrol station, except a bus got in his way. On the side of the Luas, beside the square, the junkies hang out during summer. The bus stop opposite the chipper, that goes into Jobstown, I've seen fights break out at 5pm. I've had a shopping trolley fired through the glass porch of the house I'm renting, a breezeblock through the rear window of my car. I've had 2 stolen purses on different occassions thrown into my backgarden. When I was living in citywest, joyriders parked their car in the spaces in front of my apartment, and hid there, while the police went by. When I was going to vote in Jobstown, someone driving a car drove in a U-turn and parked directly the middle of the road to get out and shout at his friend.

All of that wasn't great, but it's been over 6-7 years. It doesn't make it the best place to live, it's certainly not the worst. People only remember the negative events and not the quiet days where absolutely nothing happens, which is the vast majority of the time. For comparisons sake, I lived in Dundrum for years, got beaten up 4 times and burgled 5 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

If you want to be within walking distance of Cookstown Ind Est, and your job is the Belgard end of the estate, then Belgard Heights, Kingswood Heights and the Belgard Road end of Kilnamanagh will suit perfectly as you are still very close to the Luas line with Bus routes and Shops etc all closeby.
    If you are working closer to the Hospital end of the Ind Est, you could consider Birchwood, Alderwood or Cairnwood, still beside the Luas, near Bus routes, Shops etc
    It is true that some parts of Tallaght are better than others, but look, you can get an ar**h*le for a neighbour no matter where you live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

As a general rule, the further west you are in Tallaght, the dodgier the area gets. Personally, I wouldn't want to live in Tallaght at all. I recently took a trip to The Square shopping centre and saw pregnant women smoking at the front door with people inside the shop spitting on the floor.

You wouldn't life in Dublin city them, any time I drive past the Mater or Coombe there are pregnant women smoking outside.

I've never seen anyone spitting in the Square, but then there are scumbags everywhere.
    I hear the nightlife can be rough enough too, so perhaps you might want to consider living in the city and getting the Luas out? If I recall, it's only 35 minutes from the city centre.

There are a few rough pubs and a lot of nice ones.

OP. If you're working anything other than 9-5 I'd avoid the Luas Red line, all the junkies from Dublin come out to smoke and spit in our shops;) But seriously the whole Red line has problems with anti social and criminal behaviour at all times of operation. During rush hour there's less trouble.

Just my opinion.

True there are some bad parts of Tallaght. Just like every town, Tallaght would be the 2nd biggest city in Ireland if it wasn't a suburban town, has bad areas. If you drive through Tallaght it's not too hard to spot the places to avoid.

You need to take the same precautions where ever you live to stop thieves. Don't forget people in "Posh" areas get robbed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I've lived in Tallaght, Springfield to be precise. Never had any trouble in 3 years.

I've lived both northside and southside and in the city centre, but the only place I had trouble was when my apartment was broken into was when I was living in Monkstown, beside Dun Laoire.

Some of the things you might see around the square would make you look twice though. Worst I saw was a woman who changed her babys nappy on the table in macdonalds :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Man007

Springfield one of the nicer parts of Tallaght????

Are people taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭xxpopopxx

Don't know if you have moved yet OP, but I grew up in Tallaght and where I lived in Kingswood I would usually say to people it's not that bad - until our house got broken into - twice- and within 6 months. Ridiculous. I also hear from my friends many other break-ins occuring in Tallaght, I really would not recommend moving to Tallaght. I moved out of Tallaght myself to Rathfarnham and sorry to say this but you can see immediately the difference in class in people compared to Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Del2005 wrote: »
    Just like every town, Tallaght would be the 2nd biggest city in Ireland if it wasn't a suburban town, has bad areas.

I've heard that before allways figured it wasn't true. According to Wikipedia, Tallaght would have a lower population than Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway and if you're talking about the Island then Derry and Belfast too. Making it the 7th largest city, if it was separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

xxpopopxx wrote: »
    Don't know if you have moved yet OP, but I grew up in Tallaght and where I lived in Kingswood I would usually say to people it's not that bad - until our house got broken into - twice- and within 6 months. Ridiculous. I also hear from my friends many other break-ins occuring in Tallaght, I really would not recommend moving to Tallaght. I moved out of Tallaght myself to Rathfarnham and sorry to say this but you can see immediately the difference in class in people compared to Tallaght.

So just because your house was broken into your opinion changed about the area which you had no problem with before. Breakins happen everywhere no matter what the area is.

Every area has its good and bad eggs and just because you got burgled doesnt mean you should tar others who live there as a lesser class of person.... Chances are the thiefs where from somewhere else in the country! Also it seems like your a little lax with the old home security

here's a few people talking down a place in Rathfarnham.... i hope none of the people living here meet you or you might jump out of your skin!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054936766

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Whitechurch is a isolated council kip at the back of Rathfarnham. Along with a good few others scattered around Dublin in altogether nicer areas. That doesn't change the fact that a very large portion of Tallagh is comparable to it. Your either fooling yourself, have never lived anywhere actually nice or have never had the pleasure of living there.

It has little to do with the crime. Its the daily attitudes of those around you that make a good area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Hi,
    I'm moving most probably to Tallaght as well, so this thread is of interest to me, and appreciate all the advice on here, but I don't understand this craic ^^ that was mentioned elsewhere of choosing the likes of Rathfarnham instead. I've had that suggested to me by other well-intended people, who clearly don't seem to realise the financial difference between the areas. Myself and the bf are choosing Tallaght because whatever the reputation, it's affordable. We can get a nice 2 bed there for about 800p/m. Going to the likes of Rathfarnham or Sandyford and you're talking 1,000 for anywhere half decent.
    So, basically my point is that somebody seeing a man spit in the shopping centre is not at the top of my list of priorities when choosing an area to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 msnd

I have been living in Tallaght for the past 3 years and I have found it fine, no problems so far.

PROS
    Having the shops on your door step is great. The new cinema is modern, the theatre has some great shows and there is a good library. Our local gym is lovely, clean, well equipped and the park is very nicely planted out and maintained.
    We live in a large spacious apartment that is very well managed that has plenty of storage space at a very reasonable price. All our neighbours are working couples and a few very young families. They are all very easy going a quiet.
    I use the LUAS everyday to get into town for work as does my husband,we are walking distance from the stops.

CONS
    The area does suffer from a terrible litter problem. SDCC workers are out every morning picking litter but it seems to be just as bad the next morning!
    There are huge buildings that are empty with empty commercial units that can be a bit creepy.

You will see drug addicts on public transport but they appear to be heading into treatment centres in the city centre, if you don't start on them they don't start on you it seems (or so my experience has been)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

With a few minor precautions, it is a perfectly safe place to live.

. 1.EOD_EOD8.jpg

• Advertisement

jobless wrote: »
    So just because your house was broken into your opinion changed about the area which you had no problem with before. Breakins happen everywhere no matter what the area is.

Every area has its good and bad eggs and just because you got burgled doesnt mean you should tar others who live there as a lesser class of person.... Chances are the thiefs where from somewhere else in the country! Also it seems like your a little lax with the old home security

here's a few people talking down a place in Rathfarnham.... i hope none of the people living here meet you or you might jump out of your skin!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054936766

I'm not the only one in this thread with the same opinion of Tallaght to be honest. And yes my opinion changed of Tallaght after I got burgled but also because after living in somewhere else apart from Tallaght for the first time, I used to think all those little things that urked me about Tallaght happened everywhere, but now living somewhere else where those things don't happen has made me see a bad side of Tallaght.

My safety never feels threatened now when going to nutgrove to shop, whereas when I used to go to the square, I constantly felt cautious of the place since me and my friends have almost gotten mugged before. I'm sorry if my opinion offends you and it's not like I hate the place since most of my friends live there, but it just wouldn't be a place I'd recommend given a choice.

Also our house was a bit lax on security but wasn't our fault landlord was a bit of a cheapskate since he never thought himself that a second break in would occur after the first and in no less than 6 months!

and just saying, the link you gave is Whitechurch, which I do not live in, I live in another part of Rathfarnham :o

The Cool wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm moving most probably to Tallaght as well, so this thread is of interest to me, and appreciate all the advice on here, but I don't understand this craic ^^ that was mentioned elsewhere of choosing the likes of Rathfarnham instead. I've had that suggested to me by other well-intended people, who clearly don't seem to realise the financial difference between the areas. Myself and the bf are choosing Tallaght because whatever the reputation, it's affordable. We can get a nice 2 bed there for about 800p/m. Going to the likes of Rathfarnham or Sandyford and you're talking 1,000 for anywhere half decent.
    So, basically my point is that somebody seeing a man spit in the shopping centre is not at the top of my list of priorities when choosing an area to live in.

Oh of course I understand where your coming from since Rathfarnham is quite expensive, the rent we pay now where we can only get a 2 bed apartment could probably get us a 4 bed house!!

I'm not the only one in this thread with the same opinion of Tallaght to be honest. And yes my opinion changed of Tallaght after I got burgled but also because after living in somewhere else apart from Tallaght for the first time, I used to think all those little things that urked me about Tallaght happened everywhere, but now living somewhere else where those things don't happen has made me see a bad side of Tallaght.

My safety never feels threatened now when going to nutgrove to shop, whereas when I used to go to the square, I constantly felt cautious of the place since me and my friends have almost gotten mugged before. I'm sorry if my opinion offends you and it's not like I hate the place since most of my friends live there, but it just wouldn't be a place I'd recommend given a choice.

Also our house was a bit lax on security but wasn't our fault landlord was a bit of a cheapskate since he never thought himself that a second break in would occur after the first and in no less than 6 months!

and just saying, the link you gave is Whitechurch, which I do not live in, I live in another part of Rathfarnham :o

look i'm saying that tallaght is a the best place to live ever but just because a few scummers make you feel a little uncomfortable around the square doesn't mean you should tar the people from the area with the same brush the vast majority of people are harding working and just keep their heads down and get on with life...its the few that give it the bad name.... as far as kingswood goes its actually one of the nicest estates there but as i said burglaries can happen any where...
    I've lived in tallaght and outside of tallaght and you get bad eggs everywhere..... just dont feel you can leave your doors open where you are now :)...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

There is also ample parking available.

tallaght1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Yes it does have one or two standard estates but unfortunately on the whole the area is like a petri dish for scroungers, degenerates and scumbags.

The area has no focal point - just rows and rows and rows of dull grey substandard housing estates. You'll be lucky to find a litter-strewn green area every few kilometers with local junkies, pikeys and delinquent drunk or high teenagers.

The centre of this depressing urban sprawl is the now outdated Square Shopping Centre which has an extensive (and very necessary) security operation. The Red Luas line stop there is a haven for aggressive beggars who threaten and bully passengers trying to use the service there.

Also be weary that as you go down toward the Jobstown area, there is a chance of serious injury from a pipe bomb. Every second night or so the army bomb squad is dispatched to deal with the latest volatile family feud (it has become so commonplace that it doesnt even make the news alot). Also be weary of opening your door at night as many people have been shot over recent years (one young lad looked out from an upstairs window before taking a shotgun blast to his chest and face). Many people living there treat the law with contempt and have their own caveman way of dealing with disputes.

Unemployment levels are the highest or second highest in the country. Sinn Féin is the most popular party.

If you are driving around the Jobstown area at night, I would very seriously suggest investing in bullet proof glass. The one location you should be very familiar with is the local Garda station. Dont bring up kids in this area unless you want to give them an immediate disadvantage in life.

The local nightclub "The Plaza" is filled with young unmarried lone mothers (with the boyfriend living with them) living off the State. The danger to your personal safety increases exponentially for every hour you stay out past 11pm.

Good luck out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Motorist wrote: »
    Yes it does have one or two standard estates but unfortunately on the whole the area is like a petri dish for scroungers, degenerates and scumbags.

The area has no focal point - just rows and rows and rows of dull grey substandard housing estates. You'll be lucky to find a litter-strewn green area every few kilometers with local junkies, pikeys and delinquent drunk or high teenagers.

The centre of this depressing urban sprawl is the now outdated Square Shopping Centre which has an extensive (and very necessary) security operation. The Red Luas line stop there is a haven for aggressive beggars who threaten and bully passengers trying to use the service there.

Also be weary that as you go down toward the Jobstown area, there is a chance of serious injury from a pipe bomb. Every second night or so the army bomb squad is dispatched to deal with the latest volatile family feud (it has become so commonplace that it doesnt even make the news alot). Also be weary of opening your door at night as many people have been shot over recent years (one young lad looked out from an upstairs window before taking a shotgun blast to his chest and face).

If you are driving around the Jobstown area at night, I would very seriously suggest investing in bullet proof glass. The one location you should be very familiar with is the local Garda station. Dont bring up kids in this area unless you want to give them an immediate disadvantage in life, which is already tough for them as it is.

Wow, I don't live in Tallaght but I think your post needs to be addressed as the majority of it is unbelievably sensationalist. Firstly Tallaght has lots of green areas: Tymon Park, Sean Walsh Park, Bancroft Park. The Bohernabreena reservoir is close by which is lovely. The housing estates are built in standard design with a central green area in any of the ones I can think of. Now some of these do have antisocial elements.

You say the Square has an "extensive security operation". What does that mean? It has security guards at the doors. That really doesn't seem too extensive to me unless I have missed some sort of armed patrol in the place. Also it has gotten a major revamp in the last 2 years so I wouldn't call it outdated, new cinema looks well.

You are completely overplaying the Jobstown situation and from my knowledge its calmed down quite a bit lately. Bulletproof glass, "a lot" of people getting shot. You're making it sound like Beirut! It certainly wouldn't be top of my places to live in Tallaght list but you have dismissed the whole place which I think is unfair and wrong.

Motorist wrote: »

Also be weary that as you go down toward the Jobstown area, there is a chance of serious injury from a pipe bomb. Every second night or so the army bomb squad is dispatched to deal with the latest volatile family feud (it has become so commonplace that it doesnt even make the news alot). Also be weary of opening your door at night as many people have been shot over recent years (one young lad looked out from an upstairs window before taking a shotgun blast to his chest and face). Many people living there treat the law with contempt and have their own caveman way of dealing with disputes.

Unemployment levels are the highest or second highest in the country. Sinn Féin is the most popular party.

If you are driving around the Jobstown area at night, I would very seriously suggest investing in bullet proof glass. The one location you should be very familiar with is the local Garda station. Dont bring up kids in this area unless you want to give them an immediate disadvantage in life.

The local nightclub "The Plaza" is filled with young unmarried lone mothers (with the boyfriend living with them) living off the State. The danger to your personal safety increases exponentially for every hour you stay out past 11pm.

Good luck out there.
    Ha don't feed the troll.. Are you a guard or something that you know all these goings on? It's 945 on a Saturday night and you've Nothing better to do than come on here and bash tallaght. Maybe you should go to the plaza and find yourself a lone mother, might be better than sitting in your jocks on the laptop.. (typed from a pub :))

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

jobless wrote: »
    Ha don't feed the troll.. Are you a guard or something that you know all these goings on? It's 945 on a Saturday night and you've Nothing better to do than come on here and bash tallaght. Maybe you should go to the plaza and find yourself a lone mother, might be better than sitting in your jocks on the laptop.. (typed from a pub :))

:pac:

Advertisement