Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog agility

• 08-04-2012 3:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭

Hi. I have a jack Russell he is 7 months old and I think he would make an amazing agility dog but I havn a clue wer to even start training and competition ect. I'm from co Kilkenny. Can anyone help??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

Someone else might correct me on this, but I'm of the understanding that it's recommended the dog be a year old before starting agility because of the impact on a growing pup's bones and joints.

Are there any dog clubs in the area or puppy classes? Someone involved with them might know of agility classes for you to attend? Or there might be notices in the local vets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

The above is correct, it's not recommended until the dog is a year old, you can do a basic course of classes which is basicly just introducing the dog to all the different equipment and learning some commands etc. You can't compete until he is at least 2 years old, but I definitely recommend getting yourself out and about to some shows so you can see the end result and give you an idea of the sort of things you should work on training wise in the meantime. Good / a lot of obedience training, recall etc. would be a definite benefit when you do start. Perhaps finding a trainer for obedience classes who is familiar with agility would be a good start and something you can do now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭izzy24

The above is correct, it's not recommended until the dog is a year old, you can do a basic course of classes which is basicly just introducing the dog to all the different equipment and learning some commands etc. You can't compete until he is at least 2 years old, but I definitely recommend getting yourself out and about to some shows so you can see the end result and give you an idea of the sort of things you should work on training wise in the meantime. Good / a lot of obedience training, recall etc. would be a definite benefit when you do start. Perhaps finding a trainer for obedience classes who is familiar with agility would be a good start and something you can do now.

Thanks for that. Have you or anyone any idea were u found find out local shows ect??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

izzy24 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Have you or anyone any idea were u found find out local shows ect??

http://www.showdogsireland.com/

Not all shows will have agility competitions so always check before hand, usually you aren't allowed to bring dogs that are not entered. If you are eventually going to compete it will require a lot of travelling around the country I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

We have just started our fella doing agility and as previously stated doing basic obedience will be of great benefit for when your dog is a bit older and able for jumping etc. the key to agility is to get the dog very focused on the handler (you I presume). Also things like getting your dog to understand left & right will be a huge head start for later. You'll find loads of stuff on YouTube that will get you going.

BTW it's great fun and will create a fantastic bond between yourself and your dog. Enjoy!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement