Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 years of PS3 - best exclusives (PSN/retail)

Options
  • 08-04-2012 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I picked up a 60gb back-compat PS3 yesterday (€150 quid) but I don't have any games for it (playing MGS2 at the moment). I know of the uncharted games, MGS4 and what have you but I'm mostly ignorant of the lesser known exclusive titles.

What must have games do you think I should pick up?
    Thinking about getting Flower on PSN to start.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,374 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Best games probably aren't exclusive imo.

But Valkyria Chronicles, Demons Souls, Uncharted 2 and MGS4 are the only ones I really really enjoyed.

On PSN? Hmmmm....

EDIT: I will get Journey though. The reviews and judegements from Boardsies have been too good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Infamous
    Infamous 2
    Ratchet and Clank tools of destruction
    Ratchet and clank a crack in time
    Ratchet and clank all 4 one
    Uncharted 1
    Uncharted 2
    Uncharted 3
    God of war 3
    Both god of war collections
    Shadow of the colossus/Ico collection
    Jak and daxter collection
    Super stardust
    Journey
    Dead nation
    Wipeout HD
    Killzone 2
    Killzone 3
    Gran turismo 5
    Resistance fall of man
    Resistance 3
    Little big planet 2
    Sly cooper collection
    Heavy Rain
    3D dot game heroes
    Twisted metal
    Heavenly sword

Just to name a few ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

where did you pick it up?

I'd recommend red dead redemption

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

cloud493 wrote: »
    Infamous
    Infamous 2
    Ratchet and Clank tools of destruction
    Ratchet and clank a crack in time
    Ratchet and clank all 4 one
    Uncharted 1
    Uncharted 2
    Uncharted 3
    God of war 3
    Both god of war collections
    Shadow of the colossus/Ico collection
    Jak and daxter collection
    Super stardust
    Journey
    Dead nation
    Wipeout HD
    Killzone 2
    Killzone 3
    Gran turismo 5
    Resistance fall of man
    Resistance 3
    Little big planet 2
    Sly cooper collection
    Heavy Rain
    3D dot game heroes

Just to name a few ;)

Great list, I totally forgot about Heavy Rain!

That was one I was looking forward to but totally forgot about, I loved Fahrenheit and Nomad Soul.

where did you pick it up?

I'd recommend red dead redemption

Xtravision clearance sale this weekend, also picked up 10 blurays for 20 quid.
    Red Dead is great, but I already have it on the xbox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,616 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

TomCo wrote: »
    Xtravision clearance sale this weekend, also picked up 10 blurays for 20 quid.
    Red Dead is great, but I already have it on the xbox.

Is this deal in all Xtravisions? If so, I'm taking serious advantage of it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

callaway92 wrote: »
    Is this deal in all Xtravisions? If so, I'm taking serious advantage of it

No.
    They had a clearance sale in the Green Isle last weekend - few people picked up 60gig PS3s for €150.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

In my opinion, most of the best titles aren't exclusives. Some of the good ones are Heavy Rain (as you already said), the Infamous series, both Little Big Planet games and Killzone 3. I can't stand the God of War games, but if you liked them on the PS2 you could give those a try. Uncharted is good if you like straight forward, level by level action but the main attraction is the stunning graphics. For a great RPG try Demon's Souls, but beware that is you need a great deal of perseverance to play it successfully. If you like Flower I'd strongly recommend Journey - it's mind blowing, if you appreciate that style of game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Heavy Rain is a must, absolutely brilliant game.

LittleBigPlanet 2, get it. Endless fun.

Uncharted series is great if you haven't played them yet, although I'd recommend just renting each game for a week, the multiplayer is pretty crap, so the replay value of the game isn't enough to support buying the game rather than renting it.

Resistance series is pretty fun.

Infamous, meh. I wasn't too gone on it but some of my friends consider it their favourite game so might be worth picking up.

Skip resistance 2 :rolleyes: its rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

cloud493 wrote: »
    Skip resistance 2 :rolleyes: its rubbish.

what?? that's a great game. I love the fact that you can play co-op missions on the one playstation, but sign in as yourself, if you are at your friends, great for friends who both own the game, as you can always increase your stats.

For co-op play I'd give it 9/10 :D the single player and multiplayer isn't bad either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Hygro wrote: »
    what?? that's a great game. I love the fact that you can play co-op missions on the one playstation, but sign in as yourself, if you are at your friends, great for friends who both own the game, as you can always increase your stats.

For co-op play I'd give it 9/10 :D the single player and multiplayer isn't bad either :)

I thought the co-op was a huge let down in comparison to 1, which let you play through the story mode. Hell, I bought 2 on the thought that you could play co-op story. Was severely disappointed you couldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

aaronh007 wrote: »
    I thought the co-op was a huge let down in comparison to 1, which let you play through the story mode. Hell, I bought 2 on the thought that you could play co-op story. Was severely disappointed you couldn't.

Is was different than most normal co-op games that simply let you play through the story, but it was well received and back when it was just out you got a lot of Boardies playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Heavy Rain: when you want to both game and movie, and be satisfied by neither.

Bonus points for awkward nude/sex scenes .

By the way, I liked the game. Just don't think of it as the AAA, game-changing title it seems to regarded. More of a sideshow curio. Anything with as borked a third-act can only ever be, really.

Oh, and LBP is a must.

Heavy rain is brilliant!!!! :D I was gob smacked when I found out who the killer really was.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Warhawk.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

Outland on the PSN is a great game, can be fairly challenging at times. I'd be a big fan of the Dead Space games, not sure if you've already played them on xbox or not but you'd be able to pick both of them up cheap now. Other exclusives worth a mention would be the uncharted games, god of war games, shadow of the collossus, infamous games, killzone 2&3, little big planet too. That's all I can think of at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

You seem to be sorted with full PS3 titles above. As for PSN games, try Journey [best game this year so far IMO], Super Stardust HD, Wipeout HD and Fat Princess. Also, have a look at the PSone classics as there are some gems in there.

Thanks guys,

So far I've picked up:

Uncharted
    Uncharted 2
    Resistance
    Resistance 2
    Valkyria Chronicles
    Killzone 2
    MGS 4
    Heavy Rain
    (€90 all in, not bad)

Resistance 2 arrived in the post first, so I've been playing that mostly. Wasn't blown away by the first few chapters, but it really picks up later in the game which surprised me.

Started Heavy Rain a few days ago, really enjoying it so far (no so much the 1.5Gb patch and install though). For some reason I find the mostly mundane activities you have to perform quite endearing, bit voyeuristic at times though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,050 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Personally for PS3 exclusives, I would choose the Infamous games over the Uncharted games. Just enjoyed them more.

On PSN, I haven't really played it myself, but Dead Nation seems to get good reviews. I got it with the PSN reward program. Also got Trine 2 recently which is exclusive to PSN console wise. But is available on PC. Plan on starting this week or next since just finished Trine last week.

• Advertisement

I spent the whole of yesterday pretty much just playing Warhawk. Four years after I first loaded it up I can still lose myself in it completely for hours at a time.

I still completely suck at it as well.

I hope there will still be a community for that game once Starhawk is released.

I've been undecided about whether to get Starhawk. I didn't play much of the Beta but did enjoy what I played but I've got loads of games to play and part of me hopes that if we don't support Starhawk then Warhawk's community will still survive.

Anyway, Lightbox and Sony have just announced that all future Starhawk map packs and DLC will be free of charge. I think they've just sold it to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Thinking of picking up a PS3, largely because I've never played ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, so I'd pick up the HD collection. Problem is, exclusive-wise there just don't seem to be enough other games to justify the purchase.

I'd probably get Valkaryie Chronicles, Uncharted 2 and Yakuza 4 too, and maybe God of War (but I've already got an unopened copy of Bayonetta, which is probably better). But really, what else?

Heavy Rain and Killzone 2 don't appeal. Neither does Little Big Planet. From what I played of it, Resistance is crappy generic console-FPS tripe. Demon Souls I wouldn't bother with because I've got Dark Souls on Xbox; one of those games is enough for me (not saying it's not good, just don't want to devote the time to yet another one.)

Are the two PS2 classics worth the price in themselves? What about the online service? It's mostly free, right? How does it compare to Xbox Live? Any opinions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Kinski wrote: »
    Thinking of picking up a PS3, largely because I've never played ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, so I'd pick up the HD collection. Problem is, exclusive-wise there just don't seem to be enough other games to justify the purchase.

I'd probably get Valkaryie Chronicles, Uncharted 2 and Yakuza 4 too, and maybe God of War (but I've already got an unopened copy of Bayonetta, which is probably better). But really, what else?

Heavy Rain and Killzone 2 don't appeal. Neither does Little Big Planet. From what I played of it, Resistance is crappy generic console-FPS tripe. Demon Souls I wouldn't bother with because I've got Dark Souls on Xbox; one of those games is enough for me (not saying it's not good, just don't want to devote the time to yet another one.)

Are the two PS2 classics worth the price in themselves? What about the online service? It's mostly free, right? How does it compare to Xbox Live? Any opinions?

I won't go into the list of exculsives again but for Retail games the PS3 has a crazy amount of excellent exclusives. If those exclusives simply aren't you thing you might be better off with something else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'll chime in and recommend against MGS4. Definitely my most disappointing game for this generation and a horrible experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

killzone 3 and resistance 3 are great games. I liked the previous ones too.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'll chime in and recommend against MGS4. Definitely my most disappointing game for this generation and a horrible experience.

To be fair, and I've read your review of the game, your opinion seems to be a minority view. Personally, I think it's a great game and a worthy entry in a great series. I think it's ranked 94% on metacritic as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Beefy78 wrote: »
    To be fair, and I've read your review of the game, your opinion seems to be a minority view. Personally, I think it's a great game and a worthy entry in a great series. I think it's ranked 94% on metacritic as well.

I've not played it but opinion outside the reviews is quite divided, the hardcore fans enjoyed it and revered it where as those not so dedicated to MSG were less positive, complaining it felt less like a game and more like a sort of FMV/Movie.

That it stands as a Magnum Opus for Hideo Kojima isn't really at issue but whether it works as a game is.

I think Retr0gamer is a fan of the series (although I stand to be corrected). He just thought that the game was fatally flawed. I don't agree, although do think that even for a MGS game, some of the cut-scenes take the complete piss.

It's no MGS or MGS3, but it's better than Sons of Liberty, IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm a massive fan of the series and didn't enjoy the game at all. There were more cutscenes than gameplay and those cutscenes told one of the worst storylines ever told and the gameplay was a step backwards from MGS3 and the boss battles were all either a disappointment or plain terrible. They got it so right with MGS3, MGS4 felt like they were repeating all the same mistakes of MGS2 except exasperating them making it a far worse game.

Advertisement