Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

got a catastrophic failure of my PC.... help?!

Options
  • 08-04-2012 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭

defaq is going on.

Its probably best to start right at the begining, so someone can point out any dated mistakes I made.

To start with, I got a new set of components. a new mobo (extreme4 gen3), SSD (samsung 830 128gb) and swapped my ram with a friend due to heatspeaders (Corsair vengeance 8gb 1600mhz)

so obviously i had to reinstall windows (x64). downloaded all the drivers from their respective vendors, including the just released AMD CCC 12.3.

while gaming, I started getting BSOD's.
    "The driver is mismanaging system PTEs"
    and
    "bad_pool_caller"

bluescreenview pointed to "dxgmms1.sys" as the cause of the failure. apparently this is a directX related issue, and updating your VGA drivers solves it. reinstalling 12.3 didnt fix it, so I did another windows 7 install from scratch, and used 12.2 drivers instead.

Then i started getting different errors.
    "kdbsync.exe has stopped working.

and

The catalyst control center is not supported by the driver version of your enabled graphics adapter."

defaq?!

I was told updating .net framework could solve this, so I fully updated windows with every security/bug fix they had, SP1 etc etc, and went to microsoft.com to get .net 4.0. Problem appeared to be fixed. happy days.
    next day, i couldnt play a game for more than 5 min before i got a BSOD. this time it wasnt PTE or pool_caller errors, but BSOD actually listed "dxgmms1.sys"

getting pissed off now, I found that AMD had released a beta 12.4 driver. uninstalled 12.2, driver sweeper, clean install 12.4....

and same BSOD's.

calling it a day, and figuring it was a hardware error as upposed to software, I downloaded the most upto date mobo BIOS drivers, installed, removed OC and turbo, reseated 6990 and went back to stock BIOS on it too.

now, I cant get past the mobo post. I can still get into BIOS, but as the windows logo pops up, it BSOD's but reboots too fast to see what the BSOD is about. my SSD was still in IDE mode (because i forgot to move to AHCI after last install, so thats not the problem)

this is where it gets interesting somewhat.

borrowed NTMK's rig to troubleshoot (his works perfectly). I put my 6990 into his rig and it wont post at all. not even to the BIOS. mobo Dr.Debug shows a "0x70" error. manual tells me its "South Bridge DXE initialisation is started"... and nothing else.

tried one of his 6970 in my rig, and it posts then BSOD as windows logo shows up. still too fast to see what.

Is my motherboard AND 6990 faulty??!
    when I first started getting BSOD's, I did heavy stress testing on the CPU (aswell as ensuring Ive a solid OC on the CPU) so I would have thought motherboard errors would have shown up there?

maybe my PSU took out everything? its a top of the line PSU (with a 7 year warranty) and isnt even using 40% of its load running my rig. its got a gabillion capacitors all over it, including the ends of each cable, so an electrical spike is damn near impossible to have even come close to affecting it. the spike would have also taken out my server, but its still going strong.

I just dont know. Im sorry for the huge wall of text, if anyone reads through it Id love some advice etc? Ive got 3 PC's here all with very high end components so I could try almost any combination of things to try find the fault. any suggestions?
    :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

im a sad panda.

EDIT:
    Im typing this on NTMK's rig after reinstalling his 6970's, so his rig is fine, but somehow his south bridge is broken when i pu tmy 6990 into it?? defaq?!

also, im off to work now so wont be able to read or reply properly to anything here, sorry, but ill be back late tonight to try again :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

If you could get the dmp file I could have a look to see if anything is showing up as a fault on the software side.
    If you can get it to run (**) can you run these if possible? http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-7-and-vista-452654.html
    Then post back here

Safe mode to rule out 3rd party drivers
    Turn off any extra un needed mobo options in bios
    1stick of ram,1hdd,1 good gpu,stock bios settings

Maybe run memtest 86 on the ram in a board you know is working to rule it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Jaysus, that's a pain. Have you tried a PSU swap yet? If your card is running fine in his, but his is spazing out in yours, that might be the culprit.

That, or the motherboard, but that's a bitch to swap out, so start with the power supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Tea-bag,

I had similar issue with dxgmms1.sys, my PC was hanging in game with sound stuck/looping & lots of critical events in event viewer.

I was sure it was hardware related/dodgy GPU. So I also reinstalled Win 7 and still had the same issue.

I updated direct x, uninstalled the 12.3 drivers ran driver sweeper then I dropped back to 12.1 drivers for a while.
    Also installed all available windows updates, also read online that KB974431 sorted this for others.

When this seemed to be stable, I went back to the 12.3 and latest CAP's, its been working fine since though.

Have you tried whocrashed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

if you hit F8 you can disable automatic restart and this will allow you to see your BSOD

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Sorry I didnt post back here last night, I didnt go home after work ;)

update on the Troll PC.
    I stopped the PC from rebooting to see the BSOD.
    It was a pretty generic pos.
    [huge pic sorry]
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/

But then I started to suspect the SSD was ****ed, so ran a chkdsk and it told me it had a total size of 3084KB:rolleyes: but it somehow passed everything.
    SSD's fail occassionally (though they're far more reliable than actual HDD's if you look at OEM return rates!)
    anyway, moved it to NTMK's PC as a slave to run diagnostics, and it appears to be fine, and still has all its NAND operational. moved it back to my PC to attempt a re install of windows (with his 6970) but i forgot to switch boot priority, and.... windows just loaded up fine. defaq??!! put back my 6990 and it loaded fine again........:confused::confused:
    it'll likely crash in a few min though.
    dan_ep82 wrote: »
    If you could get the dmp file I could have a look to see if anything is showing up as a fault on the software side.
    If you can get it to run (**) can you run these if possible? http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-7-and-vista-452654.html
    Then post back here

Safe mode to rule out 3rd party drivers
    Turn off any extra un needed mobo options in bios
    1stick of ram,1hdd,1 good gpu,stock bios settings

Maybe run memtest 86 on the ram in a board you know is working to rule it out.

Thanks! now that its booting Im not in safemode, but i followed the link and did the stuff it asked. I attached the zip at the bottom, called BSOD stuff. the blue screen keeps saying "waiting for autoruns to complete" even though ive done it I think:confused:

Serephucus wrote: »
    Jaysus, that's a pain. Have you tried a PSU swap yet? If your card is running fine in his, but his is spazing out in yours, that might be the culprit.

That, or the motherboard, but that's a bitch to swap out, so start with the power supply.

Ill try a PSU swap soon, but it probably isnt the only problem. my 6990 doesnt work in either PC, and NTMK's 6970 doesnt work in mine. aarg why did it turn on today??!!
    glynf wrote: »
    Tea-bag,

I had similar issue with dxgmms1.sys, my PC was hanging in game with sound stuck/looping & lots of critical events in event viewer.

I was sure it was hardware related/dodgy GPU. So I also reinstalled Win 7 and still had the same issue.

I updated direct x, uninstalled the 12.3 drivers ran driver sweeper then I dropped back to 12.1 drivers for a while.
    Also installed all available windows updates, also read online that KB974431 sorted this for others.

When this seemed to be stable, I went back to the 12.3 and latest CAP's, its been working fine since though.

Have you tried whocrashed ?

thanks. yea ill try roll back to 12.1 and see if that remedies it. its odd that 12.2/3/4 dont work though. hardware fault time?
    Skerries wrote: »
    if you hit F8 you can disable automatic restart and this will allow you to see your BSOD

thanks, totally forgot about that.:o

• Advertisement

Dont see the attachment?

When I get to my computer later I'll give it a look over and should be able to point you in the right direction at least once you get the ZIP up

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Dont see the attachment?

When I get to my computer later I'll give it a look over and should be able to point you in the right direction at least once you get the ZIP up
    thanks. dont know why it didnt appear. fixed.

Had look through the files,heres what I came up with
    You had only 1 BSOD recorded and it was while you were playing BF3
    Usually it points to graphic drivers,sound drivers or internet adapters
    Event[2671]:
      Log Name: System
      Source: cdrom
      Date: 2012-04-05T23:41:03.771
      Event ID: 51
      Task: N/A
      Level: Warning
      Opcode: N/A
      Keyword: Classic
      User: N/A
      User Name: N/A
      Computer: Ty-PC
      Description: 
    An error was detected on device \Device\CdRom0 during a paging operation.

While that code usually doesn't mean much by itself (usually points towards a blank CD) its easier to replace or remove it for a day or so to see if you get anymore BSOD's

There were some other error events and alot of them pointed towards Windows Update.
    Might be worth checking to make sure all of the updates installed correctly.

Also had a look through your drivers and seen some were out of date
    fffff880`05ce2000 fffff880`05fa4280   RTKVHD64 RTKVHD64.sys Tue Jun 14 12:28:43 [B]2011 [/B](4DF745EB)

fffff880`0426f000 fffff880`043f6000   athrx    athrx.sys    Thu Jan 28 01:25:39 2010 (4B60E793)

I know they have a new one since march this year
    Realtek Download Link

Also your wireless adapter is from 2010,might be worth checking to see if there is a more up to date one.

Really theres not a whole lot of clues in this bsod,not for me anyhow, but if you get another post it up aswell,just the dmp file and we can have another look

you're a gentleman thanks. yea i suppose there really isnt any BSODs their since I reinstalled windows, should have thought of that.

how the hell does one go about installing (or uninstalling) directx11?
    If i download it from MS, it tells me its upto date and cancels the install. apparently it cant be uninstalled from windows7.

i just want to run a repair :(

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    you're a gentleman thanks. yea i suppose there really isnt any BSODs their since I reinstalled windows, should have thought of that.

how the hell does one go about installing (or uninstalling) directx11?
    If i download it from MS, it tells me its upto date and cancels the install. apparently it cant be uninstalled from windows7.

i just want to run a repair :(

You can try running the SFC/ Scannow command in elevated command prompt as its a windows file to see if it can repair it.

Usually though BSOD's are not caused by windows files,99% of the time its 3rd party drivers.

I meant to say,if you have dameon tools or alchol burning software,remove it,they are known to cause bsod's

• Advertisement

don't have either program.
    I really don't have much drivers installed. none of my peripherals have even been plugged in, not even mouse drivers.

don't have either program.
    I really don't have much drivers installed. none of my peripherals have even been plugged in, not even mouse drivers.

Odd.
    Well try the sfc /scannow.
    Then you can try running driver verifier - http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/driver-verifier-windows-7-and-vista-bsod-related-473665.html

Or try to test the hardware (seatools,memtest etc)

Generally its one small thing causing the problems. If you get anymore BSOD's post them up as the last one wasn't the best to go on,if you got 1 or more it should identify whether hardware or software is the probable cause.

thanks for your help. I'll put it back together and run the scan, and game till I get a few bsods.

won't be back from college till 6pm though :(

thanks for your help. I'll put it back together and run the scan, and game till I get a few bsods.

won't be back from college till 6pm though :(

No bother,i've nothing better to do for the next week or so until I get rid of these kidney stone:(

My PC is a Troll. I went ahead and started working out what the problem was, with furmark & IBT etc to find some HW problems... nothing turned up. did an OC of GPU and CPU... nothing.
    installed all my peripherals drivers again, and been gaming for a while now with no problems what so ever.

Pro tip: leave your PC beside a bin for a few days and it'll fix itself in fear of getting chucked out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Damn troll pcs, I tried to fix one of mine a few years ago for a month or two, nothing would work, it wouldn't even boot. I drove up to galway from sligo to have a guy repair it. He turned it on when we got there and it worked fine ever since.
    -_-

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I call that the magic walk, by the time the pc gets to you or a shop it seems to have sorted itself out
    I think they just want to go outside for some fresh air and refuse to work until this happens :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

My pc does this every couple of months - It just BSOD's like 20-30 times then dies and I get angry and leave it for a couple days after it wont boot. All of a sudden it's my best friend and when I go to restore my old OC I can push it a little bit further than before. Every time.

Advertisement