Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well Done!!

Options
  • 08-04-2012 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

Congratulations to the Louth lads in securing Division 2 football at the expence of Meath, and finally breaking the Pairc Tailteann hoodoo! Bad luck Meath - couldnt happen to a nicer bunch(yes i am still bitter:p)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Sweet revenge for 2010 leinster final debacle, great that meath were relegated and even better at the hands of Louth.
    This is a massive result for the Gaels of Louth.
    Come on the WEE COUNTY..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

they will say its due to the fact joe sheridan is gone, but louth where the better team full stop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

whelan1 wrote: »
    they will say its due to the fact joe sheridan is gone, but louth where the better team full stop

Aye they didnt have anybody to chuck the ball into the net when they needed a goal......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

meath are magic, they disappeared out of division 2:D

Thanks RTE for telling us all how rubbish Meath are, clubs and county - how about recognising an emphatic win by Louth and that maybe just maybe we are moving forward (though we will only really find that out championship time). As an aside with Longford in particular and Wexford coming up with stronger countys imo going down we should expect safety minimum again next season!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

whelan1 wrote: »
    No. No we won't. Louth were the better team full stop.
    I for one was expecting a defeat today (though not the margin) given the way we played in the previous three games before today. I have been going to Meath games for as long as I can remember and this is easily the worst Meath team I have ever seen. We didn't deserve to be in division 2 and it would have been almost criminal to have fluked survival for the second season in a row.
    So well done on the victory and well done on staying up. But just a word on the celebrations. At the end of the day it was a division 2 relegation playoff. I thought the "oléing" which started 10 minutes before the end was a tad embarrassing to be honest. I was embarrassed when our fans did it while destroying Kerry in 2001 and that was in an AI semi final.

I'm not trying to belittle your win by any means, by all means enjoy it. Just for your sake I hope your players don't see this as the biggest game of their season and take their eyes off the ball when the championship comes along.

But just a word on the celebrations. At the end of the day it was a division 2 relegation playoff.

A Division 2 relegation play-off against Meath, which in case you have forgotten has a particular edge for Louth fans; always was there but especially after 2010!!

Now it is without doubt minnowism on our behalf but i will enjoy thoroughly as we have had little else to enjoy as Louth supporters (even if it is just relegating Meath).

You are absolutely spot on about the team not seeing it as the pinnacle of the season with the Championship looming! Havent looked at the sides of the draw but upon meeting Meath again i'd imagine they would not so easily be rolled over.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

Louth played out of there skin and refused to let Meath play , but i refuse to give any credence to the idea that this is the worst meath team you have ever seen ! Louth where just to good on the day . This will give fitzpatrick some more time without any negative pressure coming his way . Lets see how we get on in the summer .....

Nesta99 wrote: »
    A Division 2 relegation play-off against Meath, which in case you have forgotten has a particular edge for Louth fans; always was there but especially after 2010!!

Now it is without doubt minnowism on our behalf but i will enjoy thoroughly as we have had little else to enjoy as Louth supporters (even if it is just relegating Meath).

You are absolutely spot on about the team not seeing it as the pinnacle of the season with the Championship looming! Havent looked at the sides of the draw but upon meeting Meath again i'd imagine they would not so easily be rolled over.
    Fair enough. I've seen people say that this is revenge for the Leinster final. Does that mean people (not just from Louth) will stop bringing it up constantly? Because I sure hope so as it got tiresome a long long time ago.
    Louth played out of there skin and refused to let Meath play , but i refuse to give any credence to the idea that this is the worst meath team you have ever seen ! Louth where just to good on the day . This will give fitzpatrick some more time without any negative pressure coming his way . Lets see how we get on in the summer .....
    I don't care if you give any credence to it, the fact is that this is the worst Meath team I've ever seen. I'm not disputing that Louth were too good on the day, that was obvious, but I've seen the majority of Meath games over the past 10-15 years and in the last 4 games I have seen 4 of the most heartless, gutless performances from our players in that time. I'd excuse the odd lethargic performance but these were 4 consecutive games, 2 of which were in Navan which is traditionally a fortress for us, all of which had lots at stake in which we didn't even put in any effort.

Again congratulations on the win. I can't see us locking horns in the championship barring a round 1 qualifier draw as, with this manager, we'll be lucky to win a game in the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

was over there yesterday and ive never been as embarrassed by a meath team in all my life as i was yesterday, louth fully deserved it.but as has been previously said ye need to let the whole 2010 thing go and move on!there was a louth lad sat beside me, id say he was well in his sixties and even with ten minutes to go he was still giving out about ye!

• Advertisement

rpurfield wrote: »
    ye need to let the whole 2010 thing go and move on!!

Why? Where's the fun in that? When the English quit going on about 1966, when Thierry Henry is never uttered in anger by an irish tongue and when Louth win at least the provincial championship preferably against Meath well then there might be some chance.........

Why? Where's the fun in that? When the English quit going on about 1966, when Thierry Henry is never uttered in anger by an irish tongue and when Louth win at least the provincial championship preferably against Meath well then there might be some chance.........

Have to agree with that . Why should we stop going on about it ? It was the biggest injustice i have ever seen in sport in my lifetime . Wins like yesterday make it a little easier but not much .

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Salt001

Have to agree with that . Why should we stop going on about it ? It was the biggest injustice i have ever seen in sport in my lifetime . Wins like yesterday make it a little easier but not much .

My stomach still churns when I see it :(:mad:

Ah SLT isn't is nice to have a NLT and an SLT get on, i hope it wasnt too hard to agree with me ;)!

It does move us on a bit from Jim 'it was a good goal' Sheridan! Westmeath next up and a match we would be favourites to win -Pairc Talteann again i believe? We will never see an easier Meath team again so tis up to us to kick on. Dya know the injustice of 2010 may have done us all a favour, it garnered Louth football and disguised the downward spiral that Meath may be in?

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

Congrats to Louth....
    as a proud Meathman, it was dark day for the Royals. Me thinks Banty, Barney Allen the rest of the useless sh*ts on the County Boards need to go.
    That team was a shadow on what we had in the late 80s. :(

How is England winning the World Cup similar to this? And the vast majority of football fans (myself included) were/are embarrassed at the overreaction after the Thierry Henry incident (looking for replays, an extra WC spot etc.). Most of us have moved on.
    Because what will going on about it indefinitely achieve? Referee's make stupid mistakes in games. We've had our fair share over the years that have cost us games yet don't go on and on about it years later.
    One thing that no one seemed to be able to answer about the incident was had the roles been reversed and Louth benefited, would there been as big an outcry given it was the underdog that benefited? Doubtful.

I think you choose to ignore the point of my post, tongue in cheek as it was. People have long memories in sport and will continuely bring up success and fails and even moreso controversial moments. We bemoan, in general, about the English always referring to1966 as if it is relevent to current day world cups, sickening everyone (particularily the Irish). You may have been embaressed about the furore with Henry etc. and rightly so but if you think that people are not still sickened by those few moments in our sporting history you underestimate the impact that such moments have on peoples memories. Siapan still gets rolled out fairly often still, especially when the main protaganist is still worshipped by so many red/green supporters.

Like it or not Joe Sheridan is in the same mould as Thierry Henry as somone who will mainly be remembered for that one moment in his esteemed football career (stick Maradona in there too -how many will first mention the 'hand of god' before his wonder goal in the same match). Quite sad for them really considering how much else that was good they were involved in.

As for circumstances being reversed, as many Meath people did at the time i'd have said 's*it' happens and looked forward to the next match! As for the general outcry? Well i cant answer for others but Pat Spillane would be a good start there, is it a case of how many for the underdog or how many dislike Meath? If it is the latter well i'd see that as a compliment as as you know people only really dislike the successful.

SouthLouth Type can vouch for sports fans harping on about the past and long memories - just ask him about Dundalk FC fans and the 9 leagues and 9 cups :D

Ah now... comparing Joe Sheridan to Thierry Henry is a tad ludicrous?!

Joe sloppelly throw the ball forward into an open goal. Absolute illegal goal but he done what any GAA footballer would have done in that situation.
    This was opportunistic desperation!

Thierry Henry handled once and then twice to get more control of the ball before passing to Gallas.
    This was blatent cheating!!

In fairness i wasnt comparing the 'incidents' like with like although i can see how that came across from the way i phrased it. I meant more that these players will be remembered more for their involvement in such incidents rather than other achievements in their careers. Joe will never be forgotten as a result of his throw ball. He did run off to celebrate rather than to the ref to say he made no contact! anyway enough on the past from me

In fairness i wasnt comparing the 'incidents' like with like although i can see how that came across from the way i phrased it. I meant more that these players will be remembered more for their involvement in such incidents rather than other achievements in their careers. Joe will never be forgotten as a result of his throw ball. He did run off to celebrate rather than to the ref to say he made no contact! anyway enough on the past from me

Fair enough, point taken.
    He's off in Boston now anyway working hard on perfecting his TOUCHDOWN!! :pac:

• Advertisement

Boom! Boom!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

kormak wrote: »
    Fair enough, point taken.
    He's off in Boston now anyway working hard on perfecting his TOUCHDOWN!! :pac:

or singing in pubs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Ah now... comparing Joe Sheridan to Thierry Henry is a tad ludicrous?!

Joe sloppelly throw the ball forward into an open goal. Absolute illegal goal but he done what any GAA footballer would have done in that situation.
    This was opportunistic desperation!

Thierry Henry handled once and then twice to get more control of the ball before passing to Gallas.
    This was blatent cheating!!

So, let me see if I follow you.

One of them did something that you say was
    absolute illegal
    , and the other did something that you call
    blatant cheating
    , but yet you say it's ludicrous to compare them.

Why is
    absolute illegal
    any different to
    blatant cheating
    ?

Note: I'm not referring in any way to the incidents in question themselves. I'm referring to the words you chose to use to describe the incidents, and why you think
    absolute illegal
    and
    blatant cheating
    amount to different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

just to add im not saying it was right what happened in 2010 but clinging onto it wont help louth achieve sod all!!

Whaaaat? You have never played any sport then lad... as to be in a dressing room prior to a match (of any code) 'their beatle crawled up the wall quicker than ours so go out their and show them'! It is probably single handedly closed the gap between Louth Gaa and other counties as a massive motivating factor! wont help achieve sod all my aras...used and abused!!

Ok kormak is saying one event, in France was premeditated = cheating!
    One event in Croke Park was an instinctive attempt to get the ball across the line legally but was a fail - no intent = absolution.

fine lines? choice of words or not..;)

So, let me see if I follow you.

One of them did something that you say was , and the other did something that you call , but yet you say it's ludicrous to compare them.

Why is any different to ?

Note: I'm not referring in any way to the incidents in question themselves. I'm referring to the words you chose to use to describe the incidents, and why you think and amount to different things.

BOTH goals were absolute illegal!
    Thierry's method was blatant cheating...
    Joe's method was oppurtunistic desperation...

I think that's pretty self explainatory?? :cool:

One of the main reasons its still in people minds is that it was our one opportunity and the first for decades to win a leinster title . If the shoe was on the other foot and we cheated to win against Meath despite the fact that another Leinster for Meath would not have meant as much as it would for us you would NEVER let it go ! Meath people do not realise how devastated people where after that game . Grown men crying it meant that much to them . And Nesta FECK OFF LOL !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

BOTH goals were absolute illegal!
    Thierry's method was blatant cheating...
    Joe's method was oppurtunistic desperation...

I think that's pretty self explainatory?? :cool:

My point is that there is no difference between the two. A person who knowingly does something contrary to the laws of the game they are playing (be it Gaelic football, soccer or tiddlywinks) in order to gain an advantage is cheating.

In my book, illegal and cheating are one and the same thing.

To excuse one of the two because;
    a) he was desparate,
    b) an opportunity presented itself and
    c) he was on your team as opposed to the opposition
    is to condone cheating.

a) & b) above can both be applied to Henry just as much as Joe Whatshisface, by the way.

Assuming that you're a Meathman, the only difference between the two incidents was c). Thierry was playing against your team, Joe was playing for your team.

All you are doing is trying to find a form of words that justifies cheating when it's your own team that does it.

• Advertisement

My point is that there is no difference between the two. A person who knowingly does something contrary to the laws of the game they are playing (be it Gaelic football, soccer or tiddlywinks) in order to gain an advantage is cheating.

In my book, illegal and cheating are one and the same thing.

To excuse one of the two because;
    a) he was desparate,
    b) an opportunity presented itself and
    c) he was on your team as opposed to the opposition
    is to condone cheating.

a) & b) above can both be applied to Henry just as much as Joe Whatshisface, by the way.

Assuming that you're a Meathman, the only difference between the two incidents was c). Thierry was playing against your team, Joe was playing for your team.

All you are doing is trying to find a form of words that justifies cheating when it's your own team that does it.

Ah here! would ye give it a rest...
    I am a proud Meathman and stated already in this thread. I also live in Louth and have to rare my kid as a Louthman, so I've nowt against the Wee County either.
    I'm not gonna get dragged into petty arguments over this match again either... best to let sleeping dogs lie! :rolleyes:

Advertisement