Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well Done!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

kormak wrote: »
    I also live in Louth and have to rare my kid as a Louthman

:eek: You make raising your kid as a Louthman sound like it makes you feel dirty lol it is not a disease... (it might be a curse though)

L-M makes his point well and i'd be interested in your counter-point, rather than seeming to run from a losing argument.

The way i see it is that the only difference arguably is Joe Sheridan attempted to score legally but made a mess of it, the score was awarded but i have yet to hear him say that it shouldnt have been implying he knew well what he had done/was doing.

I can understand why you would want sleeping dogs to lie, but im finding it interesting on opinions where the point between cheating stops and starts - these two incidents are perfect for this. I think the reason for the square ball and incompetent referreeing and umpiring are not factoring is because it is the conduct of players that is of most consideration.

Southlouth Type you took the bait in the cheeky manner it was intended;) lol Fair play! - no pun intended..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭purehoor

rpurfield wrote: »
    just to add im not saying it was right what happened in 2010 but clinging onto it wont help louth achieve sod all!!
    fact is meath fans want us to stop going on about it because ye are ashamed of how ye got that trophy and hate being reminded of the injustice. guilt and shame are natural feelings!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

Nesta99 wrote: »
    :eek: You make raising your kid as a Louthman sound like it makes you feel dirty lol it is not a disease... (it might be a curse though)

L-M makes his point well and i'd be interested in your counter-point, rather than seeming to run from a losing argument.

The way i see it is that the only difference arguably is Joe Sheridan attempted to score legally but made a mess of it, the score was awarded but i have yet to hear him say that it shouldnt have been implying he knew well what he had done/was doing.

I can understand why you would want sleeping dogs to lie, but im finding it interesting on opinions where the point between cheating stops and starts - these two incidents are perfect for this. I think the reason for the square ball and incompetent referreeing and umpiring are not factoring is because it is the conduct of players that is of most consideration.

Southlouth Type you took the bait in the cheeky manner it was intended;) lol Fair play! - no pun intended..

It is not a disease... it's an infestation!! LOL :D
    Sure I could give you my 2 cents about Big Joe Sheridan’s goal but with everyone viewing this thread with Red n White tinted glasses, I doubt I’d get too far...

For the record, the Meath team offered a replay at the time, only to revoke it again due to some of the despicable behaviour of a small minority of Louth “fans” threatening players, coaches, ex-managers and just about anyone who was from Co.Meath!!! In particular arriving at the County Club, Dunshaughlin that night, where the team were camped.
    I understand people felt cheated, but nothing excuses this sort of thuggish behaviour regardless of any football match.

It’s a miscarriage of justice folks. There are lots of them in sport. Most Meath fans accept and apologies for the Leinster final... but even after all of this, some Louth fans STILL insist on going on and on and on and on.... Zzzzzzz

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

purehoor wrote: »
    fact is meath fans want us to stop going on about it because ye are ashamed of how ye got that trophy and hate being reminded of the injustice. guilt and shame are natural feelings!!!
    You keep thinking that so :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭purehoor

Denile is not just a river in egypt:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Since we're stating things 'for the record';

I couldn't give 2 flyings fcuks what happened in any GAA match, ever*, nor in any soccer match either. Rugby's the only game I have any opinion upon. I certainly don't look upon the incident in question through 'red & white tinted glasses'. I specifically said that I wasn't referring to the Sheridan and Henry incidents themselves. The questions I asked were about YOUR choice of words, and why you think 'doing something illegal' is not the same as 'cheating'.

If anyone is watching through spectacles tinted in their team's colours, it is you, my friend!

* or at least, not since 2002, when a different incident (coincidentally also in a Louth v Meath fixture), made me decide that the GAA wasn't worthy of my attention. I haven't watched more than about 30 seconds of a GAA match since.
    It is not a disease... it's an infestation!! LOL :D
    Sure I could give you my 2 cents about Big Joe Sheridan’s goal but with everyone viewing this thread with Red n White tinted glasses, I doubt I’d get too far...

For the record, the Meath team offered a replay at the time, only to revoke it again due to some of the despicable behaviour of a small minority of Louth “fans” threatening players, coaches, ex-managers and just about anyone who was from Co.Meath!!! In particular arriving at the County Club, Dunshaughlin that night, where the team were camped.
    I understand people felt cheated, but nothing excuses this sort of thuggish behaviour regardless of any football match.

It’s a miscarriage of justice folks. There are lots of them in sport. Most Meath fans accept and apologies for the Leinster final... but even after all of this, some Louth fans STILL insist on going on and on and on and on.... Zzzzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

I agree Kormak, the moment that some Louth supporters showed such thuggery i thought well there goes the chances of a good will replay now! I was furious about it too tbh. I also believe the the total gentleman that is Sean Boylan got a bit of a shoving about too, he wasnt in the best of health at that time either - total disgrace.

I would say more an infection-if you are a Meath man living in Louth it is your good selves infesting our wee county:D

L-M are you willing to elaborate on the 2002 incident by any chance?

For the record myself, i'm not a huge GAA fan in that i'm not involved in any club football or ever was. I do have an interest in intercounty comps. I am a soccer person really, indeed nearly any sport (background in sports science), but rugby is really the most interesting of sport, not just recent successes, but the way that such a technical games is reffed and the pure respect that players have for the match officials and comradery between fellow supporters.

Since we're stating things 'for the record';

I couldn't give 2 flyings fcuks what happened in any GAA match, ever*, nor in any soccer match either. Rugby's the only game I have any opinion upon. I certainly don't look upon the incident in question through 'red & white tinted glasses'. I specifically said that I wasn't referring to the Sheridan and Henry incidents themselves. The questions I asked were about YOUR choice of words, and why you think 'doing something illegal' is not the same as 'cheating'.

If anyone is watching through spectacles tinted in their team's colours, it is you, my friend!

* or at least, not since 2002, when a different incident (coincidentally also in a Louth v Meath fixture), made me decide that the GAA wasn't worthy of my attention. I haven't watched more than about 30 seconds of a GAA match since.

Listen locum-motion... your logic for the sake of an argument is a tad bit pathetic.
    I think I’ve already made my point and stand by it.
    Joe Sheridan was left sitting in front of a wide open goal with the ball in his hands and a last minute scramble going on around him. He says he made an effort to kick it, but ended up effectively throwing it across the line. Regardless of what county he is from, any player in the entire GAA given that situation would have attempted the very same.
    You’re saying that it was an illegal goal (which it was), therefore it’s cheating?!
    So what about the player who takes more than 5 steps in a run towards goal... Is he a cheat?! Or the player who may have been marginally inside a square when he tapped in a goal... is he a cheat? Or perhaps the try scorer that didn’t actually connect his full body with the ball on the try line but the try was somehow given... is HE a cheat??
    Henry was a very different story (and I think the whole world and his mother knows that...)
    So to answer YOUR question again for the final time... Not every player that succeeds with making an illegal score, move etc... without willingly setting out to do so is a cheat.
    However someone (Henry/Maradonna) that knowingly pre-empts a move on goal is a Cheat!!!
    End of story.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Listen locum-motion... your logic for the sake of an argument is a tad bit pathetic.

Logic is logic. It is not pathetic. It is unchanging and immutable. If you want to debate differently, head off to a Philosophy forum.
    I think I’ve already made my point and stand by it.
    Joe Sheridan was left sitting in front of a wide open goal with the ball in his hands and a last minute scramble going on around him. He says he made an effort to kick it, but ended up effectively throwing it across the line. Regardless of what county he is from, any player in the entire GAA given that situation would have attempted the very same.

I've already stated twice that I'm not talking about the incident. I'm talking about what you said. However, since you persist in bringing it up, you're saying it was an accident. OK, then. I believe you (that is: I believe that you sincerely believe that it was an accident).
    You’re saying that it was an illegal goal (which it was), therefore it’s cheating?!

What I said before was that, in my opinion, "A person who knowingly does something contrary to the laws of the game they are playing (be it Gaelic football, soccer or tiddlywinks) in order to gain an advantage is cheating." I've bolded an important bit here this time, that I didn't bold before.
    So what about the player who takes more than 5 steps in a run towards goal... Is he a cheat?!

If he knew he was doing it, yes. If he said to himself "Ah, sure everybody else always gets away with taking 7 steps, so I'll just slip in an extra one or two meself", then yes, he is a cheat. He is knowingly breaking the rules of the game to gain an advantage.
    If there's a bit of a stumble because of a clash with another player, and he's making a genuine effort to solo/bounce/pass the ball before his sixth step, then no, I wouldn't consider that cheating. (Nevertheless, the ref should still pull him up on it and award a free against him. Even if you don't actually do it deliberately, breaking the rules should be penalised)
    Or the player who may have been marginally inside a square when he tapped in a goal... is he a cheat?

Not sure that that's a good example; we all know it's difficult for a player to judge it so that he doesn't arrive before the ball, so if he's making a reasonable effort not to, but misjudges it, then no, he's not cheating but nevertheless he has broken the rules and should be whistled up on it. If he's deliberately trying to exploit the fact that referees can't always judge it either, and making an effort to get there early (or not making an effort not to get there early), then yes, he is cheating.
    Or perhaps the try scorer that didn’t actually connect his full body with the ball on the try line but the try was somehow given... is HE a cheat??

Not sure what you mean here; you don't have to connect your full body with the ball to score a try, you just have to put downward pressure on the ball. However, lets just say the player is attempting to score a try, but doesn't do so, but the ref awards it anyway.
    Again, it comes down to the players intention. If he was genuinely attempting to score legally but failed for some reason, then he is not cheating. If he is attempting to 'pull the wool over the refs eyes' and score illegally, then, yes, he is cheating.
    Henry was a very different story (and I think the whole world and his mother knows that...)

Yep, that was cheating. We agree on that! :D

Notwithstanding all of the above, I believe that a person who doesn't set out to cheat, but nevertheless scores a goal/point/try/home run/whatever illegally, and who then fails to own up to it, then becomes a cheat.
    • Our player above who sort of stumbled and took seven steps, should say "Sorry, Ref, no goal"
    • The guy who misjudged the speed of the ball into the square; same.
    • A rugby player stretching out his arm for the line who knows that he dropped the ball forward without scoring; Yep, he should own up too.
    • And Sheridan should have told the ref that the goal was illegal.
    In these cases, the player hasn't set out to cheat, but has failed to take the honest & honourable course of action and accepts an advantage that was unfairly awarded. Yes, in my book, that's a form of cheating too.

And finally:
    So to answer YOUR question again for the final time... Not every player that succeeds with making an illegal score, move etc... without willingly setting out to do so is a cheat.
    However someone (Henry/Maradonna) that knowingly pre-empts a move on goal is a Cheat!!!
    End of story.... :rolleyes:

Unless I've missed something, this is the first time you've introduced the words 'willingly' & 'knowingly' into your arguments. Whereas they've been in mine the whole time.
    We could have saved alot of trouble if you'd said "Sorry, L-M, I meant 'knowingly'..." 16 posts ago!

ps: FYI:
    'Diving' in the box = cheating.
    The soccer player who raises his hands in the air when the ball goes off the pitch in a pathetic attempt to convince the ref "It came off the other fella, honest!" = cheating.

• Advertisement

Thanks locum-motion....

Advertisement