Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tents - looking for advice

Options
  • 08-04-2012 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

Just checked over some very old backpacking gear and found our old Ulimate Phazor Dome tent is still in excellent condition last outing about 25 years ago and stored since :o. Another old cheaper tent is in rubish condition and I'd like to replace it with something VERY cheap, because I can be fairly sure its not going to get used much if at all but I'd still like to have enough light weight tentage for the whole family just in case.

What are the Lidl/Aldi tents like, something that would last a couple of weeks camping is all I'm looking for and of course backpackable. Also something thats self supporting on hoops would be good as you can always put them up indoors without pegs say in a barn, village hall if necessary.

Also just started looking through the Argos range anyone any expereince with their stuff, LOL just spotted this one http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9275355/Trail/searchtext%3ETENT.htm just seems all wrong that you can have a Hello Kitty 3 MAN Mega Tent :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

If you want something for the kids to muck about with in the garden or to teach the wife a lesson about how miserable camping can be, then buy a cheapo tent from Argos or Halfords etc. But if you want something that will serve it's purpose and give you value for money, then look to the Vango range which although more expensive (but not massively so) will be a worthwhile buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

Tabnabs wrote: »
    If you want something for the kids to muck about with in the garden or to teach the wife a lesson about how miserable camping can be, then buy a cheapo tent from Argos or Halfords etc. But if you want something that will serve it's purpose and give you value for money, then look to the Vango range which although more expensive (but not massively so) will be a worthwhile buy.

I can remember Vango's Force Ten tents when they were new on the market - and we wondered if the abs plastic apex pieces would last or not, 20 of them survived their first outing in iirc Glen Brittle camp site on the Isle of Sky in some of the worst weather I've ever been out in - but £300 plus for something like the http://www.vango.co.uk/expedition/classic-cn-mk3.html is more than I'm willing to spend atm, might look around for a S/H one. Also probably a bit heavy for my liking - forgotten how heavy they were.

But looking through the vango range http://www.vango.co.uk/expedition/halo-200.html looks a possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

I got a 3 man tent out of argos last year used it 3 times and its great only problem i find with it is its 4kg and i can think of alot more things id like to use this weight for.Anyone know of a 3 or 4 man tent that is lite weight ?

I also use a tarp sometimes (mainly on a long hike) I also find this great its lite weight and can sleep 4+ and plenty of room for kit but the fault with this is the Irish Weather its not as good as a tent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

grapeape wrote: »
    I got a 3 man tent out of argos last year used it 3 times and its great only problem i find with it is its 4kg and i can think of alot more things id like to use this weight for.Anyone know of a 3 or 4 man tent that is lite weight ?

I also use a tarp sometimes (mainly on a long hike) I also find this great its lite weight and can sleep 4+ and plenty of room for kit but the fault with this is the Irish Weather its not as good as a tent.

I don't think 4Kg is that bad IF its split amounst 3-4 people, I used to divide this load up between 2 and being cotton it didn't get any lighter after it rained, but 4Kg would be the top end of what I'm looking for. I don't expect to buy a super lightweight tent really cheaply but something 2-3 man around and under 4Kg would be good. I don't know what tent pegs you get nowadays but just swapping out the pegs for light weight aluminum ones can save a good bit of weight.

btw you obviously can't split a tent that has 2 main heavy pieces (inner and outer) between 4 people but if you add in cooking equipment and food you can divide it all up so the weight is shared.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

Have you considered some of these?

996sherpa%20team%20carrying%20our%20high%20altitude%20kitchen%20on%20the%20face%20of%20the%20chang%20la%20northcol%20at%206700%20metres%20on%20the%20way%20to%20camp%201.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

I don't think 4Kg is that bad IF its split amounst 3-4 people, I used to divide this load up between 2 and being cotton it didn't get any lighter after it rained, but 4Kg would be the top end of what I'm looking for. I don't expect to buy a super lightweight tent really cheaply but something 2-3 man around and under 4Kg would be good. I don't know what tent pegs you get nowadays but just swapping out the pegs for light weight aluminum ones can save a good bit of weight.

btw you obviously can't split a tent that has 2 main heavy pieces (inner and outer) between 4 people but if you add in cooking equipment and food you can divide it all up so the weight is shared.
    Thats ok with adults but i bring my 2 sons they carry their own (smaller) kit but im left with the rest :eek:

bonniebede wrote: »
    I got one of these for my rottie even when empty she lies down and whines (women :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭LazyFecker

i got one of these and stayed in it for 3 weeks one summer. it lasted through 2 gale-ish storms and a heatwave. although its classed a "weekender", and i think its usually suggested to people looking for a tent to bring to a music festival.

http://www.omearacamping.com/product/Meran_4_Person_Dome_Tent_TNT025

"cheap and cheerful" as the owner called it.

Advertisement