Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We have been stung again - possibly up to 750 Million.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The State should call their bluff and bankrupt them. The assets were obviously transferred so that they could shirk their responsibilities, so fuck em.

The state are only too happy for people to transfer assets.

Quinn anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

So, people who have already been physically fuked by the authorities getting metaphorically fuked years later by the authorities?

To expand on this so that maybe, perhaps some of the apologists for child abusers might see the light, I know of:
    • One person who committed suicide
    • A local childhood friend who never wants to set foot in Ireland again
    • A former college friend who is now a complete recluse as he was one of the people who stood up and spoke about the evil things done to him in Ferns
    • One jesuit brother caught in bed with a minor on a rugby trip
    • My own 2 sisters who may be damn lucky that Ivan Payne was only into boys

That's just off the top of the head. So many other lives ruined forever as the memories persist.

How this criminal and morally bankrupt organisation still controls 90% of our schools is mindboggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,056 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Bearing in mind the protests and dissent relating to the household charge, I sincerely hope that the protests over this feckin fiasco will be proportionate to the minuscule by comparison 160 mill they wanted to collect for that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Surely the vatican can offer up more cash!

It was Irish orders and Irish priests who did the harm, therefore Irish (Orders & priests) should pay. Anyway, orders are not employees of the Vatican.

I think if you look at the Holy See's frequent budget deficits you might reconsider how much wealth is present in its 44 hectares.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

The state are only too happy for people to transfer assets.

Quinn anyone?

To be far, there is little evidence for this.

Secondly, the state's concern should be reducing the tax payer's burden. Seizing assets doesn't achive this at all.

Surplus catholic schools are in the process of being handed over voluntarily, in a completely unrelated process. Resorting to rough tactics to increase the state assets could brake down this process.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

robp wrote: »
    It was Irish orders and Irish priests who did the harm, therefore Irish (Orders & priests) should pay. Anyway, orders are not employees of the Vatican.

I think if you look at the Holy See's frequent budget deficits you might reconsider how much wealth is present in its 44 hectares.

You'll find the Vatican owns rather more than 44 hectares. Its the 2nd or 3rd largest landholder in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭n900guy

eth0 wrote: »
    What will this 1.5bn be spent on? basically handed to people who claim to have been abused and told to spend it how they like?

Yup precisely. AFAIK, there was no evidence needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

THE Mater Hospital is once again the preferred location for the new children's hospital following a dramatic last-minute offer from the religious order which owns the north inner-city Dublin site.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/new-childrens-hospital-mater-bid-back-on-after-nuns-offer-3074598.html

If a person was cynical I suppose they would be inclined to think that this offer was/is an attempt by the Sisters of Mercy to preempt any move to have them surrender the deeds of the Mater to the State, and in the process come out of this smelling of rose's.
    On the other hand, they could just be a truly generous religious order, whose overriding concern is the health of Irish people and the financial health of their Government.

Hmmm... Hard one to call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Duiske wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/new-childrens-hospital-mater-bid-back-on-after-nuns-offer-3074598.html

If a person was cynical I suppose they would be inclined to think that this offer was/is an attempt by the Sisters of Mercy to preempt any move to have them surrender the deeds of the Mater to the State, and in the process come out of this smelling of rose's.
    On the other hand, they could just be a truly generous religious order, whose overriding concern is the health of Irish people and the financial health of their Government.

Hmmm... Hard one to call.
    And the new hospital would be legally required to have a Roman Catholic Ethos! nice one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

bluewolf wrote: »
    The annoying thing I think is that it's operated like a franchise - so the individual churches are on their own

yeah its called Rapedonalds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Dont have the assets my hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭WolfgangWeisen

If the thread were about the potential of having to hand €550m-€750m to unguaranteed bondholders, I'm sure there would be significantly more outrage both here and elsewhere.

The level of respect and protection lent to the kiddie f--king cult in this country is terrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

84% of the country say they support this organisation, take the money from them.
    If selling church clubhouses won't generate the money we need, I'm more than happy to levy a tax on club members. Their witchdoctors can buy insurance like the directors of every other private members club do.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

So, we're paying for the kiddie fiddlers now, are we? I say the government takes control of the churches assets and turn the ones that can't be sold into traveller halting sites.

Two birds, one stone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

the_syco wrote: »
    So, we're paying for the kiddie fiddlers now, are we? I say the government takes control of the churches assets and turn the ones that can't be sold into traveller halting sites.

Two birds, one stone.

Yes, because 100% of the Clerical population are pedophiles...

(including the nuns, women are it too you know.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

well fcukit ruari i throw my hands up in the air and i say i can't pay the revenue, can i have a pass for my previous good behaviour?

go and fcuk yourself you class 1 pr1ck.

howsabout defending people who didn't engage in criminal activity!

• Administrators Posts: 53,752 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Infuriating. Absolutely infuriating! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭DonQuay1

Jeepers Batman, another Catholic bashing thread!!

The OP could have posted this in the Politics forum, instead he posts it in After Hours.

No idea who you are or what your thoughts are. But there's far too many people on here doing he same thing as you. Trying to get the OP involved because he / she feels that they should be running the 'place'.

Or worse - other people on here calling people 'trolls' and suggesting that 'mods' ban them.

It's like players in a soccer match brandishing imaginary cards to influence the ref. Those that do it - should be banned for a while. Yep - I have that opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The catholic church is a business, one of the most profitable in the world. Of course they could pay it if they wanted to, it would hardly even make a dent in their finances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

The more I read of these kinds of stories, the more I wonder when exactly was the last time this government or any Irish government made an important decision that wasn't brazenly and openly directed by vested interests, rather than for the good of the people.

Maybe its time to remind these lilly-handed precious political princelings just who exactly is the real boss, as was done to Fianna Fáil.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Jeepers Batman, another Catholic bashing thread!!

The OP could have posted this in the Politics forum, instead he posts it in After Hours.
    So producing a factual report from a news paper is catholic bashing?

Lets play with this.
    "I think the IRA were a bit naughty blowing up civilians"
    Is this IRA bashing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Maybe new technology will find a way to get blood out of a stone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

old_aussie wrote: »
    Maybe new technology will find a way to get blood out of a stone.

except the Vatican has 94 billion in liquid assets around the world, hoarded after centuries of plunder and exploitation. Google Vatican wealth. Of course it should pay for the abuse it inflicted and covered up.

Advertisement