Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dairy bulls

• 08-04-2012 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭

so what ye going to use this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Cowmad

We are using seaver,fever, Smithden admiral,Mr Sam. Monamore Electron,Lavanguard.Thats the lot so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

all type no protein:eek: a real ihfa man:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

jaysus cowmad..... putting all the eggs in one basket with that bunch....

stanflt what bulls ye using?

ourselves...

ROF
    CGH
    Morningview Levi
    McCormick
    AXN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭linebacker52

lhk
    llk
    bqb
    okm
    mdw
    hyz
    lrw
    bsh

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Finno59

Pkk for the early cows
    HYZ
    BQB
    MDW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Miller80

Wyman, Domino, Altaross and Genuine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

Interested to know what you are using on your Oman granddaughters, running the inbreeding calculator shows bulls like Levi and Pondor are fine?

I’m using Ponder- UCL, Stonewall- S1163, Doberman-S962, Mel-NTM, will use some Cricket and Emerald- VZD also.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Cowmad

the protein is fine for this year so thats why im using them bulls to push up the milk and type. We used oman sons with the last 2years so thats why i changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Interested to know what you are using on your Oman granddaughters, running the inbreeding calculator shows bulls like Levi and Pondor are fine?

I’m using Ponder- UCL, Stonewall- S1163, Doberman-S962, Mel-NTM, will use some Cricket and Emerald- VZD also.

inbreeding calculator.... where does a lad find that.........?? it would come in handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

ICBF website, if you're a member.

• Advertisement

well i just did a stock take of the flask and this year ill using a lot of
    different bulls- want to get the stock down

s789
    irp
    llk
    pnh
    gmz
    rxr
    flt
    axn
    only 3-4 of all the above

dsu
    pkk
    hzy
    nft
    hva
    tsk
    s1178
    pdw
    and a few new very young genomic test sires

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Finno59

are some of the IBR progressive bulls like nft and flt still avaliable or are they leftover straws from last year.

took alot of stock of sok flt pkk axn llk irp when the outbreak happened

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

how many of you use ebi as a yardstick for breeding. me i would be looking at bulls with an ebi of 150+ , about 100 of that for fertility. also crossbreeding as I am spring calving and I want compact calving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭linebacker52

PMU wrote: »
    how many of you use ebi as a yardstick for breeding. me i would be looking at bulls with an ebi of 150+ , about 100 of that for fertility. also crossbreeding as I am spring calving and I want compact calving
    same as you i would be looking for bulls over 200 ebi its the only thing i consider when choosing bulls also spring calving using some jeresy this year aswell looking for compact calving higher solids the way we are paid for our milk is changing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

some are from last autum, and the rest new stock
    AWB
    AXN
    DSU
    HMY
    HZY
    LHZ
    LRW
    MJS
    S308
    TSK

anyone use the sire advise part of icbf, is it any use, and what sort of parmitiers does it use for matching bulls to cows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

lads are going mad for HMY this year. lads seem to be chasing production more this year than fertility (solids rather than volume) also more interest in proven bulls again

are any of the type men using goldsun (TFG)?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭oooge1

bgj hyz mjd gfs sfz tio bsj.. thats my lot.. milk solids and decent fertility..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 deerejohn

lads are going mad for HMY this year. lads seem to be chasing production more this year than fertility (solids rather than volume) also more interest in proven bulls again

are any of the type men using goldsun (TFG)?

Used goldsun for flushing and a few individual cows,

Bulls being used in large numbers,

PMZ - Palermo
    S938 - Altaiota
    AXN - Ardnasalem Seven
    RXO - Ramos
    GJM - McCormick

Medium numbers

CGH - Crockett Acres Eight
    S908 - Ralma Gold Crown
    Twist (sexed)
    Derren(sexed)
    Lureck(sexed)

Small numbers

Windhammer
    Goldsun
    Lexor
    Lauthority
    Fever
    Sid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 farmad

any one using norweigen red i find them very good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I have never used NR but might try some this year, there are two high EBI - BSJ and EKE that look interesting.
    What is the temperament of the NR like?

Isn't the updated EBI figures for dairy bulls out today?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭cosatron

first year diy ai and im using the following for production and solids, we have a small herd and we're trying to increase production prior to the quota being abolished-
    hmy
    cgh
    rof
    awb
    mxz
    has anyone any experience of the gillette breed. gillette smurph has just gained the record for lifetime production over 200,000 kg. munster ai have gillette windbrook in stock

Advertisement