Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Baldwin, Paralympian!

• 08-04-2012 7:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

Woot!

From the NTSA website:
    Seán Baldwin - Paralympian!

The NTSA wishes to heartily congratulate Seán Baldwin (DFST) at the news that he has been selected to represent Ireland in the shooting events at the Paralympic Games in London!

On 31st August Seán will compete in 10m Air Rifle standing and on 1st September in 10m Air Rifle prone.

Tuesday 4th September will see Seán in action at the 50m prone event and in the 50m three position event on 5th.

Events timetable and athletes profiles available on the Paralympics Ireland website

As part of his preparation Seán will shoot prone at the ISSF World Cup in London. Seán is a relative newcomer to Paralympic Shooting, having started last year at the IPC Shooting World Cup in Alicante last May. Seán shot in the World Cup GB held at the birthplace of the Paralympic movement, Stoke Mandeville Hospital in Buckinghamshire. He completed his MQS requirement in Sydney before Christmas. Seán is no stranger to big competition having competed in six CISM World Military Shooting Championships, two of which were held at World Military Games. This should hold him in good stead for his journey to London. We will be giving Seán every support in his endeavours.

DSC_6360_crres.JPG

DSC_6372_crres.JPG

Brilliant news!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Excellent news.

Sean is a top bloke, and an excellent shooter. Very best of luck to him.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Super news and all the best to Sean .

Fish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

On behalf of IPSC Ireland , May I wish Sean all the very best , to represent your Country at the Olympics is a unique and wonderful honour , the best of luck Sean , enjoy .

John FitzGerald RD IPSC Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Sparks wrote: »
    Watching it reminds me that irrespective of the discipline you couldn't have a better man representing shooting sports.

Will be following his progress closely.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Excellent publicity. About time for shooting sports. Sean for GOLD.

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,060 ✭✭✭clivej

Is there anyway of checking when or what time the shooing is on TV???

Not sure clive, but Channel Four should cover the Paralympics well, and the actual times of the events are linked to in the first post...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Seán Baldwin | Shooting

R1 – 10m Air Rifle SH1 Qualifiers Day 2 Friday 31st August 09:00 – 10:45 Royal Artillery Barracks

R1 – 10m Air Rifle SH1 Final* Day 2 Friday 31st August 12:30 – 13:05 Royal Artillery Barracks

Mixed R3 – 10m Air Rifle Prone SH1 Qualifiers Day 3 Saturday 1st September 13:15 – 14:30 Royal Artillery Barracks

Mixed R3 – 10m Air Rifle Prone SH1 Final* Day 3 Saturday 1st September 16:00 – 16:40 Royal Artillery Barracks

Mixed R6 – 50m Air Rifle Prone SH1 Qualifiers Day 6 Tuesday 4th September 09:00 – 10:15 Royal Artillery Barracks

Mixed R6 – 50m Air Rifle Prone SH1 Final* Day 6 Tuesday 4th September 11:30 – 12:10 Royal Artillery Barracks

R7 – 50m Rifle 3 Positions SH1 Qualifiers Day 7 Wednesday 5th September 09:00 – 12:20 Royal Artillery Barracks

R7 – 50m Rifle 3 Positions SH1 Final* Day 7 Wednesday 5th September 14:00 – 14:45 Royal Artillery Barracks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Hope he does well, scandalous to think he has no recognition (as in money) etc saw your letter in the examiner and saw a snip on the news.

• Advertisement

Hope he does well, scandalous to think he has no recognition (as in money) etc saw your letter in the examiner and saw a snip on the news.

Well, he's recognised by the IOC, the ISSF, the OCI and the PCI - it's literally just the ISC that has the problem CS. They did contribute some money after he made the team, but only for the duration of the games and I don't know how much of that funding will get eaten up just competing in the games.

I don't think Sean will just lie down and give up over it though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭Chiparus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

Saw him in training on a pretty arduous session in U.L. a few weeks ago using the electronic trainer.

Best of luck to him in the competition, must try and get to see it on the box or at least record it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

He's gotten some money from the sports council now, but I doubt it'll do more than cover this season, if even. Certainly he deserves it plenty well!

I see he is in the Mail today. Good spread, and more coverage.

Heard from the lads earlier today, they were heading from Lisbon to London at the time...

RTE's piece on Sean is up on youtube now:

From the NTSA website:
    Sean Baldwin featured in IT article
    From the Irish Times Saturday 25th August 2012
    sean_baldwin.jpg

AT THE Paralympic Games, everybody has a story. Seán Baldwin was 36 years old when the Land Rover carrying him and fellow army ranger Derek Mooney careered off a bric-a-brac road 40 kilometres south of the Liberian capital Monrovia. Mooney died in the accident, just a fortnight after getting engaged at the age of 33. Baldwin smashed his skull, his shoulder blades, his ribs and his pelvis.

In order to stabilise him for the air ambulance home, medics had to amputate his right leg just below the knee. His lung collapsed and he was on a ventilator for six weeks, by which time a flesh-eating disease had attacked his leg so badly that they had to amputate again, this time above the knee. This all happened nine years ago.

Click the link above to read the full article.

Sean's schedule of events:
    Men's R1-10m Air Rifle Standing-SH1 - Royal Artillery Barracks - Friday, 31st August 09:00
    Mixed R3-10m Air Rifle Prone-SH1 - Royal Artillery Barracks - Saturday, 1st September 13:15
    Mixed R6-50m Rifle Prone-SH1 - Royal Artillery Barracks - Tuesday, 4th September 09:00
    Men's R7-50m Rifle 3 Positions-SH1 - Royal Artillery Barracks - Wednesday, 5th September 09:00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭ranger4

Best of luck Sean.

• Advertisement

Was watching some of the women's 10mtr air rifle, and i see a lady by the name of Libby Kosmala is doing well. She is 70 years old.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfySdMi3mjLZFS8W_SPvDPBSBpC__kF6CgFicwl4GRdtTmXTyVwQ

That's some ambassador for the the sport.

Sean gets a mention from TheJournal.ie:
    In addition, Sean Baldwin placed 18th out of 49 competitors in the mixed R6-50m rifle prone-SH1. It was Baldwin’s best performance of the Paralympics, as he recorded a personal best of 585.

However he narrowly missed out on a place in the eight-man final by a margin of four marks, and afterwards, he said: “I’m happy with that performance in tricky conditions. I was aiming for 590 as I reckoned that would be the qualifying mark for the final but I am satisfied with the PB and I am well set up for my final competition tomorrow”.

Another nice mention of Sean in TheJournal.ie today:
    london-paralympic-games-day-2-7-630x332.jpg

Following his encouraging 18th place finish yesterday, Sean Baldwin is in action again at 9am today, as he competes in the 50m Rifle 3 positions SH1 qualifiers.

Advertisement