Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late debit card transactions?

Options
  • 08-04-2012 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question,

Bought a laptop a few months back for €800 using my debit card,

got a call during the week to say that this debit transaction has only just come through to them & no available funds for it but as I'm not working now & dont have the cash for it atm

I've looking at my banking online & by looking at my past transaction i've like €4 left but account reads -€795 but no transation showing up for the €800 yet

My question is what is going to happen to this transaction?
    Is the retailer going to be refused or is my account going to stay overdrawn until I can pay it?

(I dont have an agreed overdraft btw)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,623 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Donkathon wrote: »
    Just a quick question,

Bought a laptop a few months back for €800 using my debit card,

got a call during the week to say that this debit transaction has only just come through to them & no available funds for it but as I'm not working now & dont have the cash for it atm

I've looking at my banking online & by looking at my past transaction i've like €4 left but account reads -€795 but no transation showing up for the €800 yet

My question is what is going to happen to this transaction?
    Is the retailer going to be refused or is my account going to stay overdrawn until I can pay it?

(I dont have an agreed overdraft btw)

In theory an authorization for a debit card is only valid for 2/3 days, but you did buy the laptop, and did not not notice the extra €800 in your account the past few months.

You could postpone this, by raising a dispute with your bank over the transaction, but they won't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Donkathon

In theory an authorization for a debit card is only valid for 2/3 days, but you did buy the laptop, and did not not notice the extra €800 in your account the past few months.

You could postpone this, by raising a dispute with your bank over the transaction, but they won't like it.

The thing is I know to shop owner personally & I am 100% not going to screw him over by disputing the charge but I'm just worried about the aib turning around and sending it back to him unpaid

I dont mind taking my time with the bank paying off €50 a week off it but how long will they let the transaction stand before they refuse it? be a struggle for €800 lump sum

& I've been talking to the shop owner almost weekly & he hasn't mentioned not receiving the funds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭mackmuffin

But he has the laptop so how would he be able to dispute it?
    Donkathon wrote: »
    The thing is I know to shop owner personally & I am 100% not going to screw him over by disputing the charge but I'm just worried about the aib turning around and sending it back to him unpaid

I dont mind taking my time with the bank paying off €50 a week off it but how long will they let the transaction stand before they refuse it? be a struggle for €800 lump sum

& I've been talking to the shop owner almost weekly & he hasn't mentioned not receiving the funds?

Tis a bit of odd one, maybe tak to him about it?

Advertisement