Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Phone Scam - So Called ''iPhone Survey''

Options
  • 08-04-2012 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭

I had received this message on my phone at about 8:25pm. I had to laugh at this as it was so f***ing ridiculous as I don't own an iPhone and I didn't take any survey about it all, simple as that.

It said as follows,

''Your Mobile Phone has won £900,000.00GBP in the Apple iPhone Survey. Send Claim Code (7482920) to email: appleukinc@aol.co.uk''

I haven't checked my emails yet. I do that shortly.

Has anyone else on boards received this text message before on their phones? It has the 353 mobile code for Ireland. I think that is a international mobile code.

I think the best for me anyone else is ignore it because it is definitely a scam and pain in the a** IMO.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

I had received this message on my phone at about 8:25pm. I had to laugh at this as it was so f***ing ridiculous as I don't own an iPhone and I didn't take any survey about it all, simple as that.

It said as follows,

''Your Mobile Phone has won £900,000.00GBP in the Apple iPhone Survey. Send Claim Code (7482920) to email: appleukinc@aol.co.uk''

Has anyone else on boards received this text message before on their phones? It has the 353 mobile code for Ireland. I think that is a international mobile code.

I think the best for me anyone else is ignore it because it is definitely a scam and pain in the a** IMO.

Seems legit:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

I got some weird missed calls yesterday from an unknown number, wheres the thread that was on that one, I want to see if its the same number :rolleyes: and is the 'call back' scam

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭HOS 1997

I got it. Deleted it straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

HOS 1997 wrote: »
    I got it. Deleted it straight away.

That was quick.

I'll do the same thing too. I say to the guys who sent the text when deleting it, p off you a***holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

That was quick.

I'll do the same thing too. I say to the text when deleting it, p off you a***hole.

Are you mad, Why would you pass up in the chance to win 900,000?

• Advertisement

darokane wrote: »
    Are you mad, Why would you pass up in the chance to win 900,000?

No recession there;):p

The text is gone now, and I see there are no emails related to it either.

It great not to make a fool of myself after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

send claim code (7482920) to email: appleukinc@aol.co.uk''

Yoink. Cheers op! ;)

Leeg17 wrote: »
    Yoink. Cheers op! ;)

Darn, It could have been me:(

missed my chance there:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TirEoghain

I got this text as well.

Like an Irish number and UK aol email address..

Aye, dead on! Considering I'm in Australia. If they are going to send to Australian numbers, you think they'd at least send it from an Ozzie number and give an Ozzie email address.

That said, I don't own anything Apple, nor do I ever intend to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭EmatoelDiablo

The real scam is, instead of 900,000, all you get is about tree fiddy... Bastards...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

It said as follows,

sounds like a job vacancy for NAMA

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭tiredcity

Friend's webtext was hacked recently and they sent 250 Jamaican numbers a similar text ('you've won 750,000 GBP - email this address'). She got non-stop phone calls, texts with people's personal details (!!) and abuse about it for days. It was hilarious initially but some turned pretty nasty. Think a lot of Irish mobile numbers are being hijacked to send out those texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

You really are an eejit for turning down £900k.

Leeg17 wrote: »
    Yoink. Cheers op! ;)

Well did you win?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

The real scam is you were probably changed a quid or more for recieveing that text. Check with your provider ASAP to see if this is the case.

You really are an eejit for turning down £900k.

Well; I did not do any survey to regards to owning or having an iPhone. I have no memory of taking a survey of that nature whatsoever. No offence to you now, But I think that anyone who has the so called authority to send out these texts really needs to have their heads examined IMO.

I cannot believe that this behavior about the texts being sent out is going on now for such a long time. The text I got tonight was not from a private number, the returning number is displayed clearly in the text. I didn't bother returning the call because I thought it is a shear waste of my time with the possibility of getting abuse from them. Luckily, I did not get charged for this text as it was free.

Did you a text from this crowd at all; whoever they were?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭fptosca

I got the exact same message this morning. I called the mobile number I got the txt from and a lady answered. She had no idea what I was talking about.
    I have deleted the message now.

You would think Apple doesn't use a @aol.com address.... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭AboutTwoFiddy

fptosca wrote: »
    I got the exact same message this morning. I called the mobile number I got the txt from and a lady answered. She had no idea what I was talking about.

You should report it to the mobile operator over on the "Talk to" forums, the poor woman has probably had her online account hacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭fptosca

fptosca wrote: »

You should report it to the mobile operator over on the "Talk to" forums, the poor woman has probably had her online account hacked.
    I
    you are right. I'll contact Customer Services

• Advertisement

Thank God I found this thread just now.

Someone should have told me that this was moved to Mobiles/PDA's. I didn't know that Boards have a forum on Mobile Phones.

I couldn't respond to the thread for 3 weeks as my old hard drive of 350GB went on 10th April. Also on that day I had to go to Hospital after cutting myself with a veggie peeler after preparing potatoes for my dinner. So apologies for not responding to thread quick enough.

Moving On now.

It is a good idea to report it to the mobile operator. The people who got my number were potentially stealing my email address.

Advertisement