Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am I Insane?

• 08-04-2012 8:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

I probably am, given that I have livestock, but anyhow, here's the situation:
    1st calver, had a stillborn calf today (Pedigree LM bull). I'm thinking of going to the mart tomorrow to buy a calf to put under her. I haven't tried to do anything like this in 10 years+, so I would appreciate any advice/experiences you guys could share with me. My main concern is that she might no longer have the maternal instinct tomorrow evening. She calved outdoors, placenta is gone and I have removed the dead calf from the field. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

The first few times put her in the crush to feed the calf, give her a half bucket of coarse meal(it lasts longer than nuts). I have heard of ppl skinning the dead calf and tie the skin around the new calf, another option is use a dog to trick her into protecting the calf. Don't spend too much money on the calf if possible. Best of luck with it, depends on how much time you put into it really

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I did this last year for the first time. Cow wouln't take to the calf. It took nearly 6 weeks if not more, before she accepted him. I swore never again.
    I've never done it but if I have to do it again , I'll skin the dead calf and wrap it around the new one with cable ties. Saves a lot of hassle and time.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Enderol

Keep the cleaning from the cow and when you bring back the calf, rub him all over with it. Should pass on the smell and would at least give a better chance of her taking to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

If you had an old type head stall put her into it block around it so that she cannot see or smell the calf feed her in there and let the calf have total access to her something like they use to foster lambs after about a fortnight you should be ok
    PS buy a strong calf that has been on a cow if possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭tim04750

First calvers will take to a foster calf easier than a cow,know this might be outsides the rules a bit but if you can buy a newborn bull calf ie still wet,from a local dairyman the heifer is a lot more likely to lick it and bond, also a newborn calf falling around a bit while it finds its balance seems to trigger some kind of mothering instinct in the heifer/cow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭tim04750

Provided she isn't a proper looper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

PS buy a strong calf that has been on a cow if possible

Would advise doing that as the big strong calf may be harder to manoeuvre and get sucking. Young hungry calves are best

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Joe the Plumber

If the after birth is gone. Use hair spray on the calf and cow. It confuses her. Worked for me last oct.

Good advice to get a strong calf.

It will probably take a week at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

Iv often skinned lambs for the same situation with ewes but never for cows but if it works ????
    Its amazing sometimes if they are freshly calved and didnt bond proper with the previous calf they can take them easily enough .
    As previously said , if she is in the crush with meal and you can get the calf sucking , the heifer will let down milk , and with this comes the release of oxytocin , which may boost the maternal instinct :) ...
    It sounds so easy in theory but sure if it was easy they'd all be at it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭ceannfort

Skin the calf, have done it many times without fail, wrap it around your new calf and let it in to the heifer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

ceannfort wrote: »
    Skin the calf, have done it many times without fail, wrap it around your new calf and let it in to the heifer.

Ceannfort,
    How long do you have to leave it on for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I probably am, given that I have livestock, but anyhow, here's the situation:
    1st calver, had a stillborn calf today (Pedigree LM bull). I'm thinking of going to the mart tomorrow to buy a calf to put under her. I haven't tried to do anything like this in 10 years+, so I would appreciate any advice/experiences you guys could share with me. My main concern is that she might no longer have the maternal instinct tomorrow evening. She calved outdoors, placenta is gone and I have removed the dead calf from the field. Thanks in advance.

I think you are insane :D

Unless you have loads of time on your hands and like a bit of hardship?

How much will you pay for a calf for her and what will the return be?

Last time I bought a calf to replace one that died, i still had to pen the cow on a daily basis for the calf to suck 2 months later. Calf was able to survive without milk after that. It definitely wasn't worth all the hassle.

I did manage to get a twin onto a cow that lost a calf last year, but i brought the calf straight to the foster mother as soon as he dropped - birth mother didn't even see him.

A first calver like you describe, especially a pedigree Lim, will dry up with milk within 2 or 3 days. Make sure you check that she has milk before you buy the calf.

Just saw that this happened on Sunday. Did you buy yesterday???????

Advertisement