Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

power supply 1936

Options
  • 08-04-2012 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭

came across this unit today
    its a power supply from 1936 in a domestic house in the country
    not sure how the power was generated
    possibly from a stream nearby
    dont think that it is a backup supply
    a quick google search says that most towns were connected to the national grid during the 1930s but this house is out of a town
    the batteries are long gone
    its a siemens installation with brittania back up batteries
    must have cost a fortune in 1936

mlj8yf.jpg

2itn3nk.jpg

2ahibl5.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

Looks like something from Frankenstein`s lab:D

I love seeing old stuff like this,nice find Meercat:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

And here is the potted history of the company Brittannia Batteries.....
    http://www.redditchhistory.com/batteries.html
    Great stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I hope you upgraded it with an RCD:)

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

theres a idea for a sticky pictures of old electrical equipment(i dont mean hairy ould hager boards) stuff like whats posted above

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

That looks cool, any idea what it was?

Love the rehostat...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

That looks cool, any idea what it was?

Love the rehostat...

seems to be a 12volt lighting supply

it may be a backup system ,however i dont know if there was mains power to this system in 1936

more pics

charge and discharge meters
    5n3dzs.jpg

changeover switches
    no health and safety here
    2q0txk5.jpg

mains meter 5amp(not sure this was installed originally or a later addition)
    16a36o2.jpg

ifwj9i.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I guess a battery system would make sense for lighting, could be charged 24hours a day off the stream, then provide lighting for the few hours. I guess it was only competing with gas lighting, so each bulb wouldn't of had to be very bright.

Must of been very expense to instal, but then again all mod cons are. Also means no trafos needed for the mr10's

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

I guess a battery system would make sense for lighting, could be charged 24hours a day off the stream, then provide lighting for the few hours. I guess it was only competing with gas lighting, so each bulb wouldn't of had to be very bright.

Must of been very expense to instal, but then again all mod cons are. Also means no trafos needed for the mr10's

it may have used electricity to charge the batteries and then used the batteries to provide lighting (im not sure when mains was installed though)
    there are indicator lamps for each room beside the meters so it looks like you switched each room on from here

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Wintergreen

Thats really interesting! I wonder how someone could afford a system like that in 1936, do you know anything about the owners at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Gate Automation

tray start up again :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement