Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celtic Tiger must-have items

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Paddysboys wrote: »
    Treadmill
    Heating oil
    (I have a very good top of the range treadmill only used once that I would swop for a half a fill of heating oil or maybe a good jetski ya I can see me on a jetski)

Taxing the car for 12 months
    Filling the car with petrol
    Buying every kind of s**t that would come into lidl even if you didn't need it

Gawd yeah, I actually asked the management to ban me. But my life wouldn't be the same if I hadn't got those flippers, snorkel and goggles.

I will defo use them at least once this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

Lidl during the Celtic Tiger? I don't think so !

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Paddysboys wrote: »
    Treadmill
    Heating oil
    (I have a very good top of the range treadmill only used once that I would swop for a half a fill of heating oil or maybe a good jetski ya I can see me on a jetski)

Taxing the car for 12 months
    Filling the car with petrol
    Buying every kind of s**t that would come into lidl even if you didn't need it

That isnt a Celtic tiger must have

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Celtic Tiger must-have items.........

A get out of jail free card

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭MadameGascar

I have never seen a place where people give less of a sh*t about beer as Ireland.
    So, most people ordered "fancy" beer to be seen drinking it, could have been rat's urine in there, they wouldn't have known. So, fancy beer, Celtic Tiger must have.

Don't know about this. People were happier to knock back any old swill, not much presence of any fancy beer at all then. Only recently-ish enough I've noticed more people realizing the are entitled to some sort of value for their money. Taps of Erdinger, Paulaner have only been appearing since more people started drinking at home more and got curious about unfiltered 'fancy' beers that didn't look (as well as taste) like pee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

The Safepass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Celtic Tiger must-have items.

Beer made by monks.

Now in the recession, it's wine made by monks. Buckfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Paparazzo wrote: »

Buckfat is a tenner a bottle! Scandalous

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Pupito

The use of a box at the Olympia for any of Fiona Looney's popular appeasements.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Paparazzo wrote: »

Ah, good old F*ckbast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭The Davestator

The girlfriend just found her pair of MBT's - expensive & useless trainers. About 150 lids for a pair of trainers to wear the odd time!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

Two jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

......................security & confidence - all gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

A crewcab for the "school run"...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

not shopping in penneys
    going to the hairdresser to blowdry your hair every weekend
    bragging about how much of a mortgage the bank is willing to give you
    bragging about how much you spent on a shopping spree
    telling everyone how stressed and busy you are at work
    bragging about how much the value of your house has increased since you bought it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

The girlfriend just found her pair of MBT's - expensive & useless trainers. About 150 lids for a pair of trainers to wear the odd time!

Convinced people that by wearing they and just walking around, it's the same as a hardcore workout in the gym.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Mollyd90 wrote: »
    not shopping in penneys
    going to the hairdresser to blowdry your hair every weekend
    bragging about how much of a mortgage the bank is willing to give you
    bragging about how much you spent on a shopping spree
    telling everyone how stressed and busy you are at work
    bragging about how much the value of your house has increased since you bought it

And have your suits, shirts, socks and underpants done twice weekly by the dry-cleaners.
    No washing and ironing for us!
    Have a E20k kitchen and eat takeout every night.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Having an au pair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

silly outside Christmas lights

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Lenn Brennan

Not really a must have but, going to the pub all night, buying take away to go back to a party @ 3rd euro a can or 40 euro for a bottle of vodka and getting a taxi to the party

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Rolli

Paying almost €30K a gas guzzling 3L petrol Lexus to drive around Dublin city all day :(

Buying suits from Bests :(

Having a job :(

Damn, I miss the Celtic Tiger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

true wrote: »
    silly outside Christmas lights

and it could be a good few years before the current lot of them stop working.

Every second house with a big massive American tackfest of flashing LED's outside it, looks awful

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭useeme

Pdfile wrote: »
    apart from the keeping up with the jons, the folks trying to BE th jones and ae never happy...

one neighbour in particular amongest his collection of mootorbikes ( harleys mostly ) had TVR's mercs bmws lexus and others, evry 100k he made it spent about 50-60 on a new car ( barely if ever driven ) 10k on drgs & such, then te rest headin off to thailand or similr for a month or two... needless to say t was handy enough gettin to drive his toys and look after the house when he was away with the misses as a kid but when hi lady wrote off hr brad new merc he got her a new one the same day ( nobody knew if she'd drive ever again after the shock )

this same guy just has the 1 car, no job ( living off rented proppertys ) and has only 1 holiday a year abroad.

ive no sympathy whatsoever.... though i do wanna drive that old tvr again... they are quite litterally the worst car in popular production but some craic in wet weather.
    my eyes are bleeding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Glass bottles of water in pubs and restaurants. A number of times during the boom years, I was teased for asking for tap water. Now it's the done thing. I could never see the point in paying for water in restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭useeme

longneck bottles of bulmers

villeroy and boch sanitary ware

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Glass bottles of water in pubs and restaurants. A number of times during the boom years, I was teased for asking for tap water. Now it's the done thing. I could never see the point in paying for water in restaurants.

This is one thing I never got.

We're living in a country where it pisses rain all the time & people insist on paying top dollar to buy water in fancy bottles.

Unreal/Sureal.......whatever:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Brabantia Bins at €90 odd a pop,who pays nearly 100 quid for something to throw rubbish in?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Free water in your house

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

As someone once said, .....savings for old age / ill health...... wisely invested in a diverse range of assets such as telecom eireann shares, the Irish bank shares and buy to let mortgage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

This is one thing I never got.

We're living in a country where it pisses rain all the time & people insist on paying top dollar to buy water in fancy bottles.

Unreal/Sureal.......whatever:rolleyes:

AND now were expected to pay for tap water!

Advertisement