Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics Graphs and the Leaving Exam

• 08-04-2012 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Ok, so here's my question.

If the convention is to put X on the X-axis and Y on the y-axis and calculate slope and multiply it by 2....

Is it acceptable to put y on the x axis and x on the y axis and then multiply 2 by 1/slope (i.e inverse slope)

The bedrock of the question is, for let's say graph F against a

IS IT SET IN STONE THAT F MUST GO ON THE Y-AXIS AND a GO ON THE X-AXIS?

I mean what i'm doing is mathematically correct but I don't know if the pedantic exam correcter would accept it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

I think you would probably be OK to do as you describe.

The convention is the quantity you have control over and therefore the nice numbers go on the x-axis and the quantiy that you measure (and probably not very nice numbers) go on the y-axis. I think this is good practice.

As you are confident with the Maths and understand what you are doing my advice would be that you stick with the convention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Don't chance it, just do it how its meant to be done. I don't think they'd let you away with it as there are marks going for correctly labelled axes and if we did it your way everyone would instantly get that 3 marks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Variable goes on the x-axis, function on the y-axis as said before. Convention is y against x (as in: graph a against b, therefore a=y, b=x).

If it's a straight line through the origin and slope = 1 or -1, then it doesn't matter.

It does matter if slope does not equal 1 or -1. If you were to graph a=1 b=1, a=2 b=3, a=3 b=5. Graph 1 (a on the x, b on the y) would have a steep slope. Graph 2 (a on the y, b on the x) would have a smaller slope. Therefore you could lose marks if you graphed the values on the wrong axes.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Darth Frodo

Ok, thanks

There's just one thing, in my mock marking scheme it says to plot delta-theta against I^2 or I^2 against delta theta..... yet for the force and acceleration it's F against a yet they didn't give the 2nd option.

This seems to imply that only certain ways are acceptable....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Ok, thanks

There's just one thing, in my mock marking scheme it says to plot delta-theta against I^2 or I^2 against delta theta..... yet for the force and acceleration it's F against a yet they didn't give the 2nd option.

This seems to imply that only certain ways are acceptable....

Mocks are shady as it is... the delta-theta and I^2 graph must have had a slope of 1 or -1. Or else you just needed to show a linear/proportional relationship and didn't need to calculate a value from the slope or intercept.

The force-acceleration graph must have had a different slope and/or you needed to calculate something from the graph.

• Advertisement
Advertisement