Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5amp sockets

Options
  • 08-04-2012 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone use these anymore?

Most lamps coming with molded plug tops nowadays makes them less usefull unless you want to cut it off. Then you can't plug it anywhere else.....hence the thread :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

They are used when you want to activate the lights on the 5A sockets through a light switch. Still used but perhaps not as much as before.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Avns1s wrote: »
    They are used when you want to activate the lights on the 5A sockets through a light switch

Yes, I thought that was implied :p it's a great option to have IMO, but are there to many downsides that come with them is kinda what I meant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Davy wrote: »
    Yes, I thought that was implied :p it's a great option to have IMO, but are there to many downsides that come with them is kinda what I meant :)

Sorry, wasn't clear in your OP. If you do want to activate lights on the switch then you must have them. The only downside I can think of is the one about the moulded sockets which isn't that big of a deal really. It is still really handy to have all these table lamps etc that are all the rage these days turned off at the flick of a switch as you leave the room rather than shuffling behind the couch while half loaded last thing at night, and then finding your way out of the room in the dark after you turn off the last one!! :D

There are other options nowadays like the remote control sockets that give another way around the lighting issue without having the 5A sockets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Davy wrote: »

Maybe a 13amp plug top with short flex, to 5 amp socket, for use in other sockets if that was needed, could be made up.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Maybe a 13amp plug top with short flex, to 5 amp socket, for use in other sockets if that was needed, could be made up.
    I was thinking that, but the whole idea of 5A sockets is that only lights can be plugged into them. If there was an adapter such as this lying around then in theory anything could be plugged into them (accidentally or otherwise).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

Saw those 5A sockets in a house a while back and the nice thing about them was that they were connected to a dimmer switch, so the table lights etc could be dimmed as well as the main room light.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

2011 wrote: »
    I was thinking that, but the whole idea of 5A sockets is that only lights can be plugged into them. If there was an adapter such as this lying around then in theory anything could be plugged into them (accidentally or otherwise).

Something like a travel adapter, with a 5amp fuse fitted would be handy, of course you will have people who will change the fuse to 13amp though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Where is the problem with that though? Only the lamps can be plugged into this adaptor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

if you mean a 13amp plug to 5amp socket -there's no electrical issue there really

fit a standard fuse for table lamp which is prob 3amp

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Where is the problem with that though? Only the lamps can be plugged into this adaptor.
    An 13A to 5A adapter would facillitate the connection of any device with a 13A plug to be connected to a 5A lighting socket. The whole idea of 5A sockets is that only lights can be plugged into them. Deviating from this in my opinion would be bad practice and would be contrary to the design intent.

Generally, plugging devices other than lights into 5A lighting sockets would have no negative "side effects". In other cases it might, for example it may cause light switches to fail prematurely due to increased load.

Before you know it someone will have a TV plugged into one and every time someone tries to switch a light off the TV goes off! Then some DIY hero starts to butcher a good installation to avoid this happening. I find that what started as something minor can snowball into a larger issue. Anyway that is just my opinion, I am sure others will disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

An 13A to 5A adapter would facillitate the connection of any device with a 13A plug to be connected to a 5A lighting socket.

I think Robbie is talking about the other way around as in if someone had a lamp with a sealed 5A plug on it they could make a lead from a 13A plug(with 5A fuse) and a 5A socket so it can be used in a normal socket.

Only something with a 5A plug could be used or atleast thats how I took it up.

yes 2011 is picturing it the wrong way round

Duh!
    My bad, thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Clonganny

On the subject of 5amp sockets,
    I am loking for 5amp plug tops.
    My wholesaler stocks white and black but can you get gold colour similar to the inline switches and flex colour. This issue always comes up with our designers especially when the outlet is brass.

Advertisement