Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurants, Bars, The Workplace etc....

Options
  • 08-04-2012 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭

When I started my e-cig expriment a couple of months ago, I explained the system to my Boss & co-workers. Luckily nobody had any probs with it & I now happily use my i-mist while I work.

Being the wrong side of 40 with a young family & all it's attendant expenses, I don't go out as much as I used to.

On rare occasions I get out, I make a point of asking the owner/manager of an establishment, what's their policy on using e-cigs indoors.

Mostly they let me work away, but sometimes with some degree of reservation as it's such a new thing & they genuinely don't know about it.

I can totally understand the reasons for such reservations, as Vaping is such an unknown here.

I'd be intrested to know what experiances other (more socially active) posters have with using e-cigs where Smoking is banned

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I've vaped indoors in a couple of pubs in carlow, never had anything said to me.. only asked the once though in a small pub cos there was only about 4 people there
    I generally just go to the smoking area as most pubs have nice enough "indoor" smoking areas these days, so it's no hassle.
    I wouldn't try it in a cafe or anything as you'd definitely get some grumpy housewife doing some fake loud coughs as soon as she saw the vapour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

I wouldn't try it in a cafe or anything as you'd definitely get some grumpy housewife doing some fake loud coughs as soon as she saw the vapour.

Yeah. Cleared it with the staff in one of my locals on a quiet night last week.

Of course there was one Grumpy Old Git who said he didn't like it & 'Why can't you smoke outside like everyone else?'

This was after me giving him a detailed explanation of the system & how it worked.:rolleyes:

It took the good out the thing & rather than make waves I put my e-cig away & moved on.

should have just blown it in his face :)

should have just blown it in his face :)

I was tempted to do more than that, but as you know yourself, people in pubs can be sometimes be a little bit unreasonable about things.

On this occasion I wasn't going to the unreasonable one, (for a change:D).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

haha!!! Grumpy housewife with nothing better to do! :-)

The lads at work know what my PV is, and don't really mind it.

I do get some strange looks when out and about and I take a toot of it outside a shopping centre or something, quite a few pubs down here don't really mind it...my uncle is constantly using his eGo-T when he has a couple of scoops in the evening time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I vape in work at the desk. I haven't had a problem anywhere. That said, I wouldn't pull it out in a restaurant. Never had a problem in pubs. Stealth vaped on planes where they're banned and no one noticed.

so long as you hold the inhale long enough, there's just about no vapour when you exhale and you still get your nic. tis handy that way

• Registered Users Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

so long as you hold the inhale long enough, there's just about no vapour when you exhale and you still get your nic. tis handy that way

Thats it and blow it downwards nice and slow. It's funny though, on long haul flights, I do miss the buzz/relief of the 1st ciggie when you get out of the airport. :D

Hi.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but....

How's it all going now?

I think vaping has come along a bit in the last few months & people are getting more aware about it.

Soooo....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 Ninjer

I vaped in a busy nightclub recently.

Made me wonder: what if the whole pub/club was vaping? A smoker could easily hide amidst the cloud of vapour. Sure, you'd be able to smell the cigarette, but you wouldn't be able to tell where it was coming from - which could be a pain in the arse for whoever is running the bar.

I saw a photo of a "vapefest" in America and there was a big thick cloud hanging over everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Ninjer wrote: »

I saw a photo of a "vapefest" in America and there was a big thick cloud hanging over everyone!

Much the same at vapefest Ireland :-) the humidity was like a steam room.

I have Vaped openly in at least 15 airports, at least 5 times security approached me and only questioned my device as they were vapers. Openly Vaped on aer lingus, American Airlines and delta. KLM have recently banned them and they are banned on BA and Lufthansa however from discrete enquiries both KLM and BA stewards vape and let me join them in the crew area for a relaxed vape. Not a chance on Lufthansa though. I take at least 10 flights a month so vapeing is like a god send and made travel so less stressful for me.

When in bars I discretely vape and never been approached or told to stop, I have never really asked for permission as when I first tried it was with a Luddite so more hassle than it was worth.

I vape at my desk in work, 3 of my colleagues now vape after seeing me converted but I think it will be banned soon as more people are taking it up.

As a personal rule I don't vape in restaurants or other people's cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

krissovo wrote: »
    I have Vaped openly in at least 15 airports, at least 5 times security approached me and only questioned my device as they were vapers. Openly Vaped on aer lingus, American Airlines and delta. KLM have recently banned them and they are banned on BA and Lufthansa however from discrete enquiries both KLM and BA stewards vape and let me join them in the crew area for a relaxed vape. Not a chance on Lufthansa though. I take at least 10 flights a month so vapeing is like a god send and made travel so less stressful for me.

out of interest, what device were you using? flying soon and to be honest i'm really looking forward to not having that last minute dash outside for a cigarette before boarding - but what do you say if airport security approach you? and when you say openly either in the building or on the plane - how openly, lol. hope you don't mind me asking.

I use a provari, this device has had the closest scrutiny and I almost had it confiscated in Dusseldorf airport until I Vaped it for 5 mins and a security guard who also Vaped gave me the all clear.

I now mainly use ego twists in hand luggage with kanger t2's as these are semi disposable and leak the least of all my gear if you unscrew them slightly for take off and landing. When clearing security I put the kanger in my liquids bag.

When I vape in the airports I just sit in the normal waiting areas and vape away. Cork and Dublin are no bother and I am often asked what I am doing but had nothing negative.

On short haul I stealth vape or go to the jacks, long haul I ask the passengers and tell them what I am up to and none to date have said no. I do not jump around or overtly vape and blow plumes of vaper around, I am still semi stealthy.

I even take a couple of ego 510 with sealed cartridges and have lent them out on a couple of flights.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 Ninjer

krissovo wrote: »

I even take a couple of ego 510 with sealed cartridges and have lent them out on a couple of flights.

You get people on the plane asking for a drag?!!

"Here ... will you give us arse of that."

Ninjer wrote: »
    You get people on the plane asking for a drag?

Not really, just gutted that they are on a plane for hours gagging for a smoke and never knew about e-cigs. I carry some spares out of courtesy and to share the strange looks.

Advertisement