Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wedding style - am I a granny?

• 08-04-2012 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Have a wedding celebration coming up - firstly couple have got married abroad so more like a party - no sit down meal or such just evening affair so dont want to spend big money on formal dress. i am not really a dressy girl - is it acceptable to wear jeans / trousers and top to this or should i buy dress, dont mind buying dress but would rather get wear out of it in future budget would be max e120 to include shoes or boots (more my style!), but main question is as a size 14-16, sleeves vital and lenght pref mid calf, does such a dress exist without being totally granny like? Any suggestions appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

kfc1 wrote: »
    Have a wedding celebration coming up - firstly couple have got married abroad so more like a party - no sit down meal or such just evening affair so dont want to spend big money on formal dress. i am not really a dressy girl - is it acceptable to wear jeans / trousers and top to this or should i buy dress, dont mind buying dress but would rather get wear out of it in future budget would be max e120 to include shoes or boots (more my style!), but main question is as a size 14-16, sleeves vital and lenght pref mid calf, does such a dress exist without being totally granny like? Any suggestions appreciated

I would say try debenhams for dresses that you can wear again.
    I definatley would not wear jeans but a dressy pants and top is another option that you would get wear out of them.
    Enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

Oasis have some beautiful dresses at the moment well under your budget. Also give A-ware a look. If its a sleeveless dress can add a little cardi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I am also a size 14/16 (depending on the shop) and I buy dresses in Dorothy Perkins a lot. I find their dresses very flattering and not just designed for smaller figures. Also, their prices don't break the bank either.

You could wear this with tights (if you do end up choosing something buy this label, "Sugar Reef" I would recommend getting some sort of slip as I find the material slightly see-through but not very)

http://www.dorothyperkins.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=33053&storeId=12552&productId=4743097&langId=-1&sort_field=Relevance&categoryId=228107&parent_categoryId=226988&pageSize=200&refinements=Size{1}~[16]&noOfRefinements=1

Coming into the better weather you could try a maxi dress. Something like this

http://www.dorothyperkins.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=33053&storeId=12552&productId=5042114&langId=-1&sort_field=Relevance&categoryId=228107&parent_categoryId=226988&pageSize=200&refinements=Size{1}~[16]&noOfRefinements=1

If you would like a maxi dress, they have a fair few different ones on the site that would be suitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

I just bought this dress in Zara http://www.zara.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/ie/en/zara-S2012/189503/768008/STRAIGHT%2BDRESS

It's lovely on, and you wouldn't be wasting money because it goes lovely with a little cardi or blazer for work. I think it might suit the wedding do you're describing, not too formal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭bget

Not sure where you are based, but Forever 21 on Henry Street in Dublin amy well be worth a look. Very reasonably priced and defo would be able to get something you can wear again.. But a word of warning you need to be full of energy to take on that shop as it has 4 floors and its MASSIVE.. Other than that you could be lucky in New Look!!

Happy Hunting!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭kfc1

Thanks ladies for your help.. Went shopping today and was looking at this but other half think its a bit granny-ish, was gonna team it with brown boots for this wedding and have another wedding during the summer so could get used again with heels. Is it very old fashioned?
    34519_75624306?resMode=sharp&op_usm=1.1,0.5,0,0&rgn=0,0,2000,2000&scl=5.208333333333333&id=lXTqO3 p.s I'm only 34 so not grave ready just yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tatumkelly

kfc1 wrote: »
    Thanks ladies for your help.. Went shopping today and was looking at this but other half think its a bit granny-ish, was gonna team it with brown boots for this wedding and have another wedding during the summer so could get used again with heels. Is it very old fashioned?
    34519_75624306?resMode=sharp&op_usm=1.1,0.5,0,0&rgn=0,0,2000,2000&scl=5.208333333333333&id=lXTqO3 p.s I'm only 34 so not grave ready just yet!

Honestly, I think it's probably a bit old for you, you're still a young one!

Also, since it's a spring/summer wedding, it would be nice to have a splash of colour so if your heart is set on this dress, accessories with some colour are a must.

I would say, that if you need to ask here, you're clearly having doubts so you won't feel totally confident on the day.

Would you wear something like the first 3/4 length sleeve dress? It's from Miss Selfridge, it's very nice on..

miss+selfridge+valentine's+wish+list+gifts+pink+red+hearts+date+outfit.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Olidolly

with boots it is absolutely granny-ish. With a pair of killer heels and long beads though could look pretty sassy. You have to stop being sensible, thinking about the weather and worrying about your feet - at 34 go all out !

Advertisement