Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is your earliest memory?

• 08-04-2012 11:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭

Mine is my first day of school, roaring and screaming at the school gates because I didn't want to go! And the next school memory is of the principal making me stand in the corner because I had my little red shoes on the wrong feet :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Ancient times I was Eunuch in Alexander's court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

swimming, in a race with all my brothers, i think i won

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭B0 SELECTRA

First day of school kicking the teacher in the shins like a boss :)

did have to go to school until a year later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

Mine is my first day of school, roaring and screaming at the school gates because I didn't want to go! And the next school memory is of the principal making me stand in the corner because I had my little red shoes on the wrong feet :o

Secondary school was tough for you so, ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

Getting my nappy changed by my brother and being happy that I was getting a new disposable nappy instead of a towelling one.

Also remember being in my cot and trying to climb out over the bars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

I swallowed a penny when I was 3. My mam rushed me down to the hospital and I got my picture taken (x-ray)with my teddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I might have some 2mb chips from and old 386

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Evie90

My brother leaving for America when I was about 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Setting fire to a hedge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

On the DART to Bray during the summer when I was about 3, with my older sister. That's 13 years ago, wow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

i think i tried to eat a bottle of talcum powder in the back of a taxi when the little brother was being brought back from hollis street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,341 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I have memories going back to just before two years old. It might be a bit younger, but it's not like I have a reference point.I can remember sitting in the back garden with the neighbours kids making noise. It was a sunny day and I was playing with a spinning spiderman toy.
    I have loads of other random memories like that from back then, so it's possible that one might be a after some of the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

my sister trying to pull me from my cot when i was a baby

she was too small and weak to do so so she basically ended up pinching and pulling me....bitch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Really, I remember asking my grandad for a lift in his car, he died when I was 2, so 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Conchir wrote: »
    On the DART to Bray during the summer when I was about 3, with my older sister. That's 13 years ago, wow.

You signed up to Boards at 14?

Must remember to put me teeth in the glass on the locker tonight :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

split head with blood everywhere

3 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Playing with a blue beach ball in a swimming pool in Malta. It was the summer of 1990 so I would have been a year and 10 months old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Getting my fingers caught in the front door when I was 3.5
    I also have very vivid memories of a holiday we took just after my 4th birthday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

I remember visiting my great-aunt in Carlow, she had loads of chickens and I recall chasing them around for a bit then falling over and getting stung by nettles! Apparently was only 2 at the time, I can still remember the sting! We moved house when I was 3 and I've loads of memories of the old house as well. It's weird to remember back that far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Pain: a major earache, the kind you don't forget. I don't know exactly how old I was, but I'm pretty sure it was less than three.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

I was about two or three chasing a cat around the garden and kicking up the arse.

I do not condone animal cruelty. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

about three fiddy

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

3.5" floppy. Although, technically wasn't memory, more ' removable memory'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Sitting in the back of my Dad's car as we drove along Mountjoy Sq and then as we went through the lights, another car ploughing into the side of us and sending our car into a 180°.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Hmm, it would have been the time I was on an internet forum and I was reading a thread called 'what is your earliest memory?', it was a good time iirc. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

My first memory was looking at the making of The Empire Strikes Back. I thought then as I do know think the AT/ST walkers are the best things ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Probably taking a ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The Cot.

Probably be the last memory too.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,575 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

My first memory was looking at the making of The Empire Strikes Back. I thought then as I do know think the AT/ST walkers are the best things ever.

well go back and tell your younger self that those were AT/AT's not AT/ST's as they weren't around until ROTJ :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Cant really remember back that far :-(, It has to be wearing short trousers and on my first day at school I was brought to the girls school and put sitting in a all girls class while the nuns figured out what to do with me,It had a profound effect on me :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Have a few early memories one when I was a baby having a photo taken I remember looking at my hand and had my fist up and just looking at it and the others it was my 1st birthday and the other time I was about the age of 2, I was chasing a pet dog around the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

I'm studying psychology and counsellling.... and I learned how to analyse early memories. Now I know things about ye all that ye don't even know about yourselves :eek::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

earliest memory, or one of them anyway, would have to be the first xmas i remember. think i was about 2 or 3, and coming downstairs with my parents early in the morning and it was still dark.
    sneaking over to the living room door, and my parents pretending to make sure Santa had left presents and that he wasnt still there or id get into trouble for being out of bed and trying to see him :o:)

think that was the year i got my Corky and Cricket talking lifesize dolls, still have them too somewhere, anyone remember them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Temple street hospital, I was 3yrs old getting ready for an operation. Absolute bitch of a matron on the ward and another young lad beside me burnt all over, poor chap used to cry himself to sleep every night :(. I also remember post op all tubes in my bed and leaving, batman (played by Adam West) was on tv ^_^

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

My teacher did the same but they made him go in and teach us anyway (he did have his shoes on right though as I recall...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Skerries wrote: »
    well go back and tell your younger self that those were AT/AT's not AT/ST's as they weren't around until ROTJ :p

ah crap... well you knew what i meant I was only 3 or so for feck sake :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

First day of school my dog follwoing me all the way up to the gates :o. Going ice skating with the cubs and generally getting home after school to watch 80s cartoons and go hang out with mates. I miss those days :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

My earliest memory is 6am this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

When I saw attack ships on fire over the shoulder of Orion.

Most people don't believe me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Burky126 wrote: »
    When I saw attack ships on fire over the shoulder of Orion.

Most people don't believe me.

Ive seen things you people wouldnt believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Bob Geldoff shouting at us to give him his money at live aid :D after that, The other one is of my old man reading the times and queen radio gaga was playing in the background... :cool: i could sing a long to it ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

I remember fuck all before the age of six.

Who are you and what have you done with my memory????? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Christmas when I was almost 4 , got a ride on toy Massey Ferguson with a trailer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

One of mine is being pushed in a pram on the street while it was bucketing down raining but I had a plastic thing covering me so I was protected :D

Also my grand parents being in our house for for a BBQ.

Then there's also a few blips of Italia 90 I remember being watched in our house.

What I find weird is that I can remember things before I was quite sick apparently when I was around 3. Yet I have no recollection what so ever of being sick. You'd think that would have been something that would have stood out.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Brendan97

Having the garage door locked on my finger
    I will never forget the pain
    I was 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

When I was 4 my Family went on holiday to Pwhelli in Wales. I don't remember much, my main memory from it is one of my Brothers lost a tooth and he got a British pound and the four of us were all standing around staring at it because we had no idea what it was.

Oh and walking down the road with my parents holding my hands and swinging me, somewhere between the age of 3 and 5. I remember because there was still remnants of Irish flags painted on all the paths from Italia 90.

I have really, really vague memories of going to playschool when I was 2 (I wasn't meant to be there, my brothers started a year before me and the teachers just let me hang around) but nothing very clear, just general playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Seeing milk being delivered around South Dublin by horse and cart and laundry vans going about with Swastikas on the side of them. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Hiding under the kitchen table from the Incredible Hulk.

I have some faint memories of living in Clondalkin (near where Liffey Valley is now) from when I was around 2 or 3. My family moved to Ballyfermot in August 1988 (would have been almost four) and I remember the move, as well as the first night we stayed there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement